Milk: Do you have trouble watching men kissing men in movies?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
karrie `not too manly` means what?

I think the current girlfriend of Lindsay Lohan would fit this criteria. She has closely cropped hair, dresses boyish, and generally acts "gruff". So, someone like that may be considered "manly" to people.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Normal: Something regarded as a normative example......Being approximately average.

In matters of sexuality, 95 percent of the population are heterosexual and 5 percent are homosexual. By those numbers, normal would be heterosexual. I also said that it was normal to expect that five percent of the population would be homosexual. I expressed no revulsion at either turn of events.

The argument is OK as far as it goes. But what does it mean? Let us take another example. Most people don’t have red hair, only a few people do (I don’t have the statistics). So it could be argued that being red headed is not normal.

There are very few Nigerians here in Canada, it could be argued that being a Nigerian is not normal. Or there are many more whites in Canada than blacks, It could be argued that being black is not normal.

But it really means nothing, except as a curiosity. That is why I said, being normal is grossly overrated.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The argument is OK as far as it goes. But what does it mean? Let us take another example. Most people don’t have red hair, only a few people do (I don’t have the statistics). So it could be argued that being red headed is not normal.

There are very few Nigerians here in Canada, it could be argued that being a Nigerian is not normal. Or there are many more whites in Canada than blacks, It could be argued that being black is not normal.

But it really means nothing, except as a curiosity. That is why I said, being normal is grossly overrated.

You are answering your own questions. People don't, in the majority have red hair, nor are Nigerians and blacks any more than a minority. Being homosexual is limited to a fairly small minority so the answer is, that normally, people are not homosexual.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I don't see why "normal" matters at all. Who cares? Do we really want to live in a society terrorized by the majorities notion of normal? I sure don't.

That is the problem with our system in that it seeks to homogenize people through its inherent violence; what Foucault called technologies of normalization. Any deviation from "normal" is seen as a threat.

The only deviation acceptable is that which happens within the confines dictated by society (the kind of rebellion promoted by Chomsky) however unless rebellion comes from without such a violent system (like ours) will become totalitarian.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
I have problems watching anyone showing physical affection out in public..Especially two men!!..It's unnatural...O.K with one exception...Parents showing affection to their kids is heart warming....

Ok ..Maybe I am a little bitter because i am currently single!..lol

But men kissing is just wrong!!..sorry..Now women on the other hand...well I'll stop there!

4 now!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I have problems watching anyone showing physical affection out in public..Especially two men!!..It's unnatural...O.K with one exception...Parents showing affection to their kids is heart warming....

Ok ..Maybe I am a little bitter because i am currently single!..lol

But men kissing is just wrong!!..sorry..Now women on the other hand...well I'll stop there!

4 now!

Greenfish, is this your age showing? Or are you a young man who nevertheless thinks this way?

At one point, it was considered obscene, disgusting for a mixed couple (especially a black man and a white women) to show affection in public. Fortunately we are slowly getting past that.

At present it is not considered proper for two gay men to show affection in public. Sometimes it can be downright dangerous. But I am hopeful this state of affairs will also slowly pass.

Interestingly two lesbians can show affection in public and get away with it. Women are more affectionate, more open to displaying their emotions in public, and if two women are embracing or kissing, the public at large doesn’t know if they are lesbians or heterosexual.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
gay men will soon be looked at the same way that women are....I personally don't see the problem...

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I have no problem with it. I live in a very gay friendly area. I have many gay friends. I don't care if Jeff kisses Victor any more than I care if Nichole kisses Jeremy. I still find it astonishing that people care so much about homosexuality. If it's only 5% of the population why do people act like they are such a threat to civilization? I think it's absolutely perverse that 2 men being affectionate is taboo in a movie when men killing, torturing or maiming eachother is just fine.

psychokandy

Jan 29, 2008
toronto
I think in a lot of ways Brokeback Mountain opened the floodgates for homosexuality in mainstream movies. I wonder if Milk will take it further... Sean Penn is known to take somewhat risky roles (I Am Sam). Very versatile.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You cannot be a respected actor let alone a person if you do not take risks.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I am probably one of the oldest persons here, so I have an upbringing that criticized and
didn't embrace homosexuality at all. we just called them queers and homos

Took me a long long time to accept the fact that they are an equal part of our society and should be accepted as such, and I haven't made fun of, or criticized them for a long time.

But I'm afraid there are deeply engrained feelings within me, because of my age, and the society I grew up with that can't stand the sight of two people kissing, of the same gender.
It makes my skin crawl, women or men, doesn't matter. When I see two women kissing each
other, and more, I hate them, and feel ashamed that they are the same gender as I, they seem
so immoral and brainless and unworthy of my respect that I despise them and their activity.
I would have to be deprogrammed
by sitting through movie after movie, then maybe it would become 'nothing' to me, but never
will be seem natural of good, always would seem unatural and different, just being honest here,
time has changed many aspects of society accepting the gay community, and that is good, but
I guess us older people have to be 'gone', generation by generation so that more people will
be natural and OK with same gender kissing in public etc.
men kissing men just looks funny to me, and I could never attach any seriousness or understand that they really feel attracted to each other, it just looks like a joke.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I appreciate the honesty Talloola. I think it's entirely true that as the older generations die off this will become a non-issue.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well tracy, and you know that this is in no way an affrontal to my`Lady of the Island` but I am not much younger than her and I didn't care in the 80s.

Sincere Regards,
scratch

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
There are always exceptions. I know young people who are disgusted by homosexuality. From a general standpoint though, younger people tend to be more accepting of it than older ones. Babies born today will never know a Canada in which gay marriage was even debated. It will be a non-issue for them. I'm sure the same thing will happen eventually here in the US. Can you imagine 48% of people voting in favor of gay marriage 30 years ago?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well tracy, and you know that this is in no way an affrontal to my`Lady of the Island` but I am not much younger than her and I didn't care in the 80s.

Sincere Regards,
scratch

I won't hold that against you scratch, really I won't;-)

Most of my growing years were, just my mother and I, and she was very english and
very conservative, didn't talk about anything concerning sex, let alone gay sex.
She would have raised her eyebrows, and tightened her lips and moved on to a different
subject, and I was very much the same, so the old ways do not leave easily.