Mikey's answer to Stevie attack ads....

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Attack ad's are funny things.
Most people in general say they dont like them and they have no impact.
Some folks say they tend to vote for the other guy if the attack ad's are particularly offensive.
Politicians say they dont like to use them and only resort to running them if the other guys ran them first.
Some politicians say they are completely opposed to them and they should be banned completely.

And yet all over the world, politicians from every party in every country continue use them.
Everyone says they hate them and that they ignore them and yet polling and focus groups indicate they work very well.

And so
Let the games begin.

Trex

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
Yup. They aren't from around here. Again, typical politician...Ontario is Canada I guess. Newsflash....GM has been going down the tubes for years now. Goodbye and good riddance.

I don't imagine there is either within 60 miles. We don't need them here, we have other better paying jobs. In fact, if anybody needs one I can get them working tomorrow.

You seem to base the Canadian snetiment on your own small part of the country, who is the insular one?

And well, poll after poll is showing that you and your friends are indeed in the minority. Canadians are worried about their jobs, their homes and their family's economic future.

This is the amusing thing. People talk about Iggy not being in touch witht he average Canadian, and here he is echoing their sentiments, while Harper bellies on about good stock buying opportunies.

Seems to me that Harper is the one who is out of touch.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I can't see Iggy being any better than Harpo. Neither one of them is going to pull any rabbits out of a hat
Totally agree here but I rather give the new guy a shot at dealing with it.
If Harper could govern like he plays his political games we'd be vrey far ahead.
I don't respect dirty politics. Harper won't get my vote this time.........where's the Rhino party??????

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

What he said was "Whether their pensions are secure".

Since I'm neither a union guy, or a civil servant, I don't have a pension, so I don't worry about that issue. In fact, it pisses me off that all these people with guaranteed pensions get the gov't to look after topping it up when it gets screwed up, since nobody offers to top up my investments when they go bad.

Glad to see the Liberals are still aiming at the civil service and union votes, though.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Attack ad's are funny things.
Most people in general say they dont like them and they have no impact.
Some folks say they tend to vote for the other guy if the attack ad's are particularly offensive.
Politicians say they dont like to use them and only resort to running them if the other guys ran them first.
Some politicians say they are completely opposed to them and they should be banned completely.

And yet all over the world, politicians from every party in every country continue use them.
Everyone says they hate them and that they ignore them and yet polling and focus groups indicate they work very well.

And so
Let the games begin.

Trex

Indeed, and if you look on any political forum on the net, it's the negative attacks that predominate. Personally, I think everyone likes attack ads, unless they attack their chosen candidate.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You seem to base the Canadian snetiment on your own small part of the country, who is the insular one?

The Canadian sentiment?

Ummmmm....the point is, there is no "Canadian sentiment". It's called corporatism and politicians do it very well.

And well, poll after poll is showing that you and your friends are indeed in the minority. Canadians are worried about their jobs, their homes and their family's economic future.

Are they?

Poll: Canadian job loss concerns dropping - UPI.com

If one is to use your argument, since less than 25% of Canadians fear for their job it would seem that the "average Canadian" isn't and Iggy is the one that is out of touch with the "average Canadian". Of course, for me this isn't an Iggy versus Harper thing. I think they are both slime balls. I just find it amusing that politicians that profess that they want change spew the same crap as everyone before them. Whats even more amusing is that there are people like you thate actually buy into it and believe that "average Canadians" think a certain way because a politician tells you they do.

Last edited:

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Well, I thought it was a good response none the less. I understand Cannuck's point, it is rather presumptuous to speak on behalf of all Canadians, but Mike's point about the Conservatives changing the channel from the economy to Mike's resumé was a good response. As was the attempt to change the focus of the debate from personalities to policies.

For me, it's all about the policies.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Ignatieff, by his personal history, is far more an American than he could ever hope to be a Canadian.

If you want an American be your Prime Minister and run our country, the black hat bad guy, with the strange resemblance to the quintessential Western Movies Bad Guy, Jack Elam, Iggy is your guy.

Good Luck and may God have Mercy on Canada!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
When people cry about unemployment, I have to laugh. Our company advertised last weekend for a position in NS, to replace a guy who moved back to Oshawa (?? why on earth), and had the sum total of TWO applications. Two.

Unemployment is obviously not an issue in Nova Scotia.

As I've said before, if people want to work, they pretty much already are working. I know things are different in Ontario, but in the Maritimes, well, our unemployment rate isn't changing much.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Ignatieff, by his personal history, is far more an American than he could ever hope to be a Canadian.

If you want an American be your Prime Minister and run our country, the black hat bad guy, with the strange resemblance to the quintessential Western Movies Bad Guy, Jack Elam, Iggy is your guy.

How do you figure? The guy was 4 - 5 years in the US. If anything, he is more British, as he was there for 30 years.

Also, personality wise, I find Harper and Iggy to be very close to each other - both are controlling, type A personalities with a bit of megalomania tossed in for good measure. Harper once mused on how he wanted Canada to be more like America, and that the Republican party was a "beacon of light to the rest of the world" or some such nonsense.

The main difference I see between the men is that Iggy is more respectful and dignified in the way he acts and cares himself, where as Harper is an embarrassment every time he opens his mouth with his hyper partisan, rude and obnoxious behaviour. Iggy has also shown a lot more respect for the Canadian parliamentary system than Harper has while he has been in power. If anything Iggy is much more "Prime Ministerial" than Harper just for his demeanor.

In any event, I want policies, a vision and future for this country, beyond Harper's copying everything the Americans do, and blaming the Liberals for everything that goes wrong.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If "pegger" means Winnipegger, I am ashamed to live in the same city with you.

Illustration? See here:

"The main difference I see between the men is that Iggy is more respectful and dignified in the way he acts and cares himself, where as Harper is an embarrassment every time he opens his mouth with his hyper partisan, rude and obnoxious behaviour. Iggy has also shown a lot more respect for the Canadian parliamentary system than Harper has while he has been in power. If anything Iggy is much more "Prime Ministerial" than Harper just for his demeanor."

The more "Prime Ministrerial" is the one who actually holds the office of the Prime Minister. Envy, jealousy and unlimited supply of liberal malice WILL NOT buy you that office. The People of Canada have spoken.

So, hold your venom and vitriol at least until the next election. Sweet dreams, in the mean time!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Do you discount Canadians whose work takes them beyond Canada's borders as being less Canadian than you?

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
If "pegger" means Winnipegger, I am ashamed to live in the same city with you.

Illustration? See here:

"The main difference I see between the men is that Iggy is more respectful and dignified in the way he acts and cares himself, where as Harper is an embarrassment every time he opens his mouth with his hyper partisan, rude and obnoxious behaviour. Iggy has also shown a lot more respect for the Canadian parliamentary system than Harper has while he has been in power. If anything Iggy is much more "Prime Ministerial" than Harper just for his demeanor."

The more "Prime Ministrerial" is the one who actually holds the office of the Prime Minister. Envy, jealousy and unlimited supply of liberal malice WILL NOT buy you that office. The People of Canada have spoken.

So, hold your venom and vitriol at least until the next election. Sweet dreams, in the mean time!

First off - What venom?

Secondly - If you're ashamed that is your problem, not mine. You can have an opinion if you want, since when I am not allowed to have an opinion? (and PS - yes "pegger" means "Winnipegger." - but thankfully I moved far away years ago, so you can take that sanctimous carp and shove it.)

As to my comment on having a more "Prime Ministerial" demeanour - BEING Prime Minister and ACTING like a Prime Minister are two different things. Yes, you are right, Harper is Prime Minister. He should also act like one, which includes not only being a leader, but being POLITE and dignified, and not acting like a jacka$$ by using International forums for partisan attacks on his political rivals, running political advertising outside of electoral compaigns, issuing manuals on how to disrupt our parliamentary system, or playing juvenile paritsan games during question period.

People like you are the reason I loathe the Harper Conservatives. Can't handle any sort of critism, discussion, or individual thought that doesn't ape their own.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Don't Joey around it....

Interesting you should mention SJP...according to him, if less than 25% believe something then they are part of the fringe. In SJP's eyes, the roughly 20% of Canadians that are concerned about losing their job are on the fringe and Iggy is just playing to the radical fringe element. Granted, I (and thinking people everywhere) disagree with SJP's take on things but I do find it hilarious whenever Joey's own words come back and bite him in the ass.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Interesting you should mention SJP...according to him, if less than 25% believe something then they are part of the fringe. In SJP's eyes, the roughly 20% of Canadians that are concerned about losing their job are on the fringe and Iggy is just playing to the radical fringe element. Granted, I (and thinking people everywhere) disagree with SJP's take on things but I do find it hilarious whenever Joey's own words come back and bite him in the ass.

;-) Nice catch! I lobbed wide with that in mind.... :lol: