Michael Coren interview: Why he believes Christianity is the most abused faith on Ear

Agree that Christianity is targeted more so than other religions -

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
forget it... not interested in playing word games today... not in the mood for it.

Goober brought up things happening in other countries...I asked when was the last time Muslims in Canada did any of the bullshyte the Muslim haters keep bringing up.

I am not a Muslim hater -

Note the Toronto 18 - and many Imams reaction to boys just acting up or words to that effect.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
and from what I can see, some of those murders could just as easily be considered domestic violence.
... and religion is just the excuse. Yeah

When was the last time you ever heard the term 'false christian' in any media form? (even radical or something that is equal to a 'blind jew' or a 'terrorist muslin') Most likely never, so we do keep our dirty laundry hidden when exposing it for what it is would be the correct way of handling the situation.
lol Not that long ago, actually. Was kind of bending my ear towards a couple people at the local pub who were discussing religion and they both seemed to agree that someone they both knew was a false Christian. I sopecifically heard one mention that whoever it was they were gossiping about using it as a "facade" and "shield".

I just googled the term: https://www.google.ca/webhp?rlz=1C1GGGE_enCA433CA434&sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=seb&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&rlz=1C1GGGE_enCA433CA434&sclient=psy-ab&q=false+christian&oq=false+christian&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=serp.12..0l4.49707.49940.0.52202.2.2.0.0.0.0.132.205.1j1.2.0...0.0.JU_
NeXh2KAI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ca9f3912ec7596e5&biw=1898&bih=933&ix=seb&ion=1

A religion that has parts that need fixing and doesn't fix them is as bad as it can get so that moves us to being the worst.
How so? IMO, all religions are whacko, useful or not.

<shrug> If you consider French people wanting to preserve French culture in France as maligning Muslims, then we could lower the bar to that level if you want. I suspect that would do more to reinforce Coren's theory than refute it. It does work both ways, you realize.
Ah, so in your opinion, bashing someone's religion is ok as long as it's on your turf? lol

No, I didn't.....from the OP:

He sees the world around him becoming dangerously intolerant of Christianity.

he writes that Christianity has become the most abused faith on Earth

Christianity is the main, central, most common, and most thoroughly and purposefully marginalized, obscured, and publicly and privately mis-represented belief system in the final decades of the twentieth century and the opening years of the twenty-first century.
ok, it wasn't you then. My apologies.

Sure, if you define standing up against "screw the French culture in France" as bashing, then you're absolutely right. But again, I remind you, it works both ways.....are you sure you want to set the bar that low? :)
Sorry, you have misunderstood what it says, I think.
What I gathered from the article is that the Muslims in France have been relatively uninterested in voting at elections and there was an effort to get them to vote. But the righties in France were bashing the French Muslims. So you think French Muslims were out to destroy French culture by going out to vote at election time? And bashing them for voting was not maligning them?
Interesting.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all the Christian faith gets a target painted on it for a variety of reasons.
Their problems are self inflicted. The fundamentalist or evangelical core of the
faith are uncompromising, intolerant, and dismissive of everyone who is not in
keeping with their objectives and their view of the world.
Increasingly this element of the faith, have become bullies and more verbally
abusive and aggressive. I say elements withing the faith not all of Christianity.
I don't see, squads of evangelical Catholics or Methodists, but there are others
who are an embarrassment.
There are fundamentalist Muslims yes, but they create all kinds of problems for
the majority of moderate Muslims who do not engage in violence and bombings.
They are at fault in many cases for their problems because they do not collectively
speak out against such action. It is also time that citizens here stand up and
declare, aggressive and over zealous Christianity is not acceptable in our society.
To start with all churches and religious institutions should have tax exemptions
cut off. And all faithful regardless of their beliefs should be subject to the same
laws as the rest of society.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
First of all the Christian faith gets a target painted on it for a variety of reasons.
Their problems are self inflicted. The fundamentalist or evangelical core of the
faith are uncompromising, intolerant, and dismissive of everyone who is not in
keeping with their objectives and their view of the world.
Increasingly this element of the faith, have become bullies and more verbally
abusive and aggressive. I say elements withing the faith not all of Christianity.
I don't see, squads of evangelical Catholics or Methodists, but there are others
who are an embarrassment.
There are fundamentalist Muslims yes, but they create all kinds of problems for
the majority of moderate Muslims who do not engage in violence and bombings.
They are at fault in many cases for their problems because they do not collectively
speak out against such action. It is also time that citizens here stand up and
declare, aggressive and over zealous Christianity is not acceptable in our society.
To start with all churches and religious institutions should have tax exemptions
cut off. And all faithful regardless of their beliefs should be subject to the same
laws as the rest of society.

Self inflicted - Wrong - Just because a minority of wackos are out there that is not a reason to say moderates are part of this so called self infliction - How you come to that conclusion is typical of those that condemn many for the actions of a few.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I tend to be an equal opportunity basher. I have no use for fundamentalist hypochristians or muslims.

I have met many descent people who hold a faith and a few idiot fundamental types. Idiocy is pretty abundant in this world, even in the ranks those who have no faith.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Ah, so in your opinion, bashing someone's religion is ok as long as it's on your turf? lol

Not sure how you got from A to B on that one.

ok, it wasn't you then.[/COLOR] My apologies.

Accepted.

Sorry, you have misunderstood what it says, I think.
What I gathered from the article is that the Muslims in France have been relatively uninterested in voting at elections and there was an effort to get them to vote. But the righties in France were bashing the French Muslims. So you think French Muslims were out to destroy French culture by going out to vote at election time? And bashing them for voting was not maligning them?
Interesting.

Hmmmm, no. I don't recall seeing any mention of Muslims being bashed for voting. The article says something about praying in public, eating halal and some other points. They don't mention the Burka Ban but anyone not living under a rock the past couple of years knows that's a primary peeve. The Burka Ban and all the other "bashing" is symptomatic of the French being afraid of their country becoming one big no go zone. You've heard about the no go zones in France, right? It's a serious problem that needs to be addressed, and addressing it is not "bashing". It's also unique to one particular group.

In any case, I think we're straying off topic, and besides, in my old age I've completely lost patience for non-sensical baiting derivations like "Ah, so in your opinion, bashing someone's religion is ok as long as it's on your turf? lol" and "So you think French Muslims were out to destroy French culture by going out to vote at election time?" and "And bashing them for voting was not maligning them?"

I just don't have enough time left to spare. :)

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
My opinion - and it's opinion only since I'm not Christian - is that part of the problem is history and how Christians have acted over time. Whenever someone brings up the whole question of why Christianity is so wrong, the first things people I've talked to bring up the witch hunts, the Inquisition and other things like it.

Then there's the fundamental core, the evangelicals who are so right wing they want to regress society back to days they're more comfortable with, and damn the modern day advances and even thoughts. But not everyone wants to go back, which brings it into contention.

As for the whole "False Christian" thing, I've a friend who's Christian, who used to go into chat rooms under the alias "The False Christian" because other Christians would call her false. If Christians call other Christians false, then how the heck can it know what "True Christians" are? (Oh wait, those are the fundies and anyone who doesn't think like them, are false Christians.)

And that's part of the problem, the hard core believers, that can bring ANY religion down.

But with Christianity abusing even it's own members, how can it NOT be one of the most abused faiths on earth?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
This clown is living in an insular world. The Muslim religion get more maligned than Christianity and they also get bombed, shot and otherwise killed, maimed and mutilated by so called Christian countries. I'm sure Muslims in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya will vehemently disagree with his self pity.

When there's a holocaust on Christians, when people entering the country that are Christian have to provide certain papers identifying them as Christians, when they're profiled at airports because they're Christians, when people start to burn Christians at the stake, or dunking them in Rivers until they drown in order to prove they're not Christians.... and when Christians can't go to their local church to practice their religion & end up having to practice their religion in small groups in the basements of random homes so they don't get dragged away.... Oh and when an entire country of Christians is carpet bombed by an invading force because that force assumes they're all terrorists because of the faith they follow..... Maybe then I'll agree that they're the most abused faith on Earth.

Considering the majority of those in our society giving Christians crap are either former Christians themselves or grew up in a Christian family, had to deal with their crap first hand and know what they're giving crap for..... I think there's a bit of irony to it.

But now he has to write a book on how unfair the world is to Christians.....

Boo Friggin hoo..... Christians are only getting a very small taste of what every other religion has been put through over the centuries.... which was usually in Jesus's name.

My heart breaks. :roll:

A: Muslims read the Koran just before they attack and declare what they’re doing is in the name of Allah......

And Christians have been praying for centuries before they go into battle or before they're about to kill someone.... big deal.

Pot meet Kettle.

Q: In the book you say how angry you are that Anders Breivik, the Norwegian mass murderer, is constantly referred to as a Christian. Yet before it was known who the perpetrator was most people assumed it was a Muslim. If it’s okay to label one criminal with his religion, why not the other?
A: When the Norwegian massacre took place I said the chances are that this is a Muslim attack. I said that because there had been an attack in Sweden by Muslim groups and because Muslim groups had been promising they would attack Norway and because there are thousands of attacks every year by Muslims. It was a perfectly good assumption given all the evidence.

Nice excuse.... also quite the nice deflection from the question: "If it’s okay to label one criminal with his religion, why not the other?"

What a dolt. With deflecting tactics such as his, he'd make a great politician.

One could say that Islam has progressed too slowly for your liking, even though it is about 6 centuries younger than Christianity. What was Christianity like 6 centuries ago?

Somewhere along the lines of oppressing tribes, forcing their religion onto the savages, killing anybody who opposed them because they were working for the devil, burning people at the stake, drowning witches, inventing new ways to torture and inflict pain onto their fellow man..... also a few centuries prior, they were going off on their holy crusade.

Certain factions of the Muslim faith are pretty hard-lined and extreme in their ways, I certainly won't ignore that, nor defend it..... But Christianity is basically the only religion in history that has attempted to go on a global expansion of oppression for centuries on end in order to "Spread their Faith"

Funny thing is, when I was young and still going to church, one of the things I remember being told was that Jesus believed that in order to spread his teachings, you don't go seeking others to follow his teachings, you let them come to you.

Somewhere along the line, that was abandoned and it suddenly switched to forcing the religion down everybody else's throat because you want to "Save their souls" & if they refuse to follow the religion, you torture the demons out of them and if they die, you still saved their soul because the torture inflicted was in Jesus's name. The reason they died was because the demon was driven out.

I imagine I don't even have to get into the bombing of abortion clinics, assassinations of doctors who perform them, the hanging, killing and beating of homosexuals or interracial couples..... nor should I even have to bring up the sexual abuse many children faced over many years/decades/centuries from priests and other leaders of the faith.

Yeah.... Christianity is the victim here and none of the negativity tossed their way is deserved. They're such a peaceful, loving and caring religion just wanting to make all our lives more happy. :roll:

Last edited:

ShintoMale

Electoral Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto, Canada
in my areas there are at least 10 christian churches within walking distance. in my area i can see 3 churches from my address. in big cities like Toronto their are churches everywhere each withing walking distance from one another

this is a map of a section of Toronto each red dot is a church some of them are store front churches

hosting images

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
This clown is living in an insular world. The Muslim religion get more maligned than Christianity and they also get bombed, shot and otherwise killed, maimed and mutilated by so called Christian countries. I'm sure Muslims in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya will vehemently disagree with his self pity.
More Muslims are killed by Muslims than by Christians.

One could say that Islam has progressed too slowly for your liking, even though it is about 6 centuries younger than Christianity. What was Christianity like 6 centuries ago?
I keep saying, "Islam is a medieval religion."

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
On topic but a question for Atheists

Would you go up to a close friend - family member and ridicule mercilessly, be rude and completely ignorant and deride their personal Religious beliefs.

Or would you politely disagree?

I would hope all Atheists would reply.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
On topic but a question for Atheists

Would you go up to a close friend - family member and ridicule mercilessly, be rude and completely ignorant and deride their personal Religious beliefs.

Or would you politely disagree?

I would hope all Atheists would reply.

I don't discuss religious beliefs with anyone unless they bring it up.
And I don't ridicule anyone, you can believe whatever you want to.

I keep saying, "Islam is a medieval religion."

Pretty much all of them are, with the exception of scientology.