Metric the communist plot (we lost?)

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
I use an imperial tape measure... never owned a metric one in my life. I measure for any work (wood or otherwise) in feet, inches, and halves, quarters, eighths, or 16ths. I buy 2x4x8's, plywood an panelling in 4x8 sheets, insulation in 16" bats. My drill is a 1/2" drill, my drill bits are imperial.

My socket set does contain both imperial and metric.

My height is 6'1", I weigh 210 lb. I don't know anybody who thinks in metric for that.

My meat comes in pounds when advertised but in metric on the package.

Half an inch of rain is a lot; 10 mm, who knows?

I still think in terms of 26er and forty-ouncer for my liquor, though it says 750 mL and 1.14 L on the labels.

My TV is a 40 inch, my computer monitor is a 23 inch.

I still think in miles for travel; love to travel in the USA where they still do it right. When I want to figure out my gas mileage I convert to miles per imperial gallon.

My car runs on 15" rims. Tires inflated to 32 psi.

My last two deer were shot at 90 yards and 110 yards.

For some things I think in metric 'cause I'm forced to.

Between imperial and metric we've got a really bastardized system. It would have been simpler to stick with imperial.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
my guy asked his grandson to grab the yardstick, this kid is standing there looking at him with a bizarre puzzled kinda "huh" expression on his face ... "get the yard stick from the garage please" ... kid: "I don't know what a yard stick is poppa", we kinda looked at each other..."oh yeah, grab the meter stick"... kid: oooooooooooooooooooooooh, yeah okay, gottcha.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Since I'm bilingual I use both Miles or Kilometer
Litres per 100K mean nothing to me but I know that a pick-up that does 20 to 25mpg., and a car that doe 38 to 50mpg does good mileage....got an app on my phone that I just enter the kilometer reading on the odometer and the number of liters of gas I put in and I can get the results in any language, metric or English;-)

But temperature is another story....I'm completely Metricfied . The other day I bought a new Air conditioner for the house and the temperature readout was LCD in Fahrenheit and no visible switch to change it like the furnace thermostat or the indoor/outdoor thermometer......Well I did something I rarely do.....read the Manual:lol: in English and French....three times....still couldn't find a way to switch it. I was just about ready to tape a conversion sheet besides it, when I decided to try something weird....I pressed both the up and down temp buttons at the same time and voila......temperature setting and reading are now in Celsius:smile:

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Or simply and wholly switch to metric.

That's just never been done.

I could add tons of things to my list where even people who have been raised with metric are used to thinking in imperial.

My chain saw for example has an 18" bar. That's how people compare them - 12", 14", 16", 18". Absolutely nothing to do with metric, except maybe in the fine print in the instruction manual.

Want a boat? You'll be looking at 14', 16', 18'... with a motor rated in horsepower. I can't even think of what the metric measure for HP is... Kw something-or-other?

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
I decided to try something weird....I pressed both the up and down temp buttons at the same time and voila......temperature setting and reading are now in Celsius:smile:

Now there's something where I've been "metrificated". I think in degrees Celsius now. :laughing8:

Of course it's never been done. Too many stubborn people afraid of change. lol

Not afraid of change. More of the mind of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I've changed a LOT in my life, when it's been desirable or necessary. Just ask my wife.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I don't mind metric, but I still think in fahrenheit, and it is damned hot here today 97 F.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Unfortunately, the government and business have been trying to completely convert us, but when you live next to the US, it's difficult. They sell much of the equipment and supplies we use. I don't think that it's fear of change so much as psychological comfort zones and living beside the US.

I don't think that it's more difficult to use the old measurements - if you were brought up that way. I think we have done an admirable job of compromising the past 40 years. I use both.

My preferences? Imperial gallons, Fahrenheit thermometers (The Weather Network gives you a choice) and ft/lb torque wrenches - as opposed to Newton - metres (a force of one newton applied perpendicularly to a one metre long moment arm.) .

I like speedometers in km/h and weight scales in kg. Keezonso!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol Well, each to her/his own. I like metric. It's much easier and faster to deal with. Quick, what's 0.638 miles in feet and inches? Would that be like 1 km + 30cm?
BTW, I also keep my tire pressure at 220 kPa.
Yeah, it's expedient that I use both, too, but simply only because others prefer to.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
A communist plot what a joke. Don't get me wrong I hate the change to metric
yes it was long time ago but I never did like it. I am now in a hybrid world as I
use some measures in metric and some in imperial. All my sprays are of course
converted to imperial so I spray by acres not Hectors.
It is not a communist plot but Its a pain because selfishly I had to change
Metric is a better system I agree but I don't like it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The world, except for the Empire, is in metric. Besides, imperial measures we used in Canada differed from the United States Customary Units. Talk about confusion.

Sorry, comrades, get over it!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah, then there's the States. Imp gallons and quarts and US gallons and quarts, etc. whatta mess.
I really like centigrade cuz it matches up so easily with the Kelvin scale.
Oh, and another thing, I get meat in quarters, halves, and wholes. And I am 119 kg (and dropping cuz of the heat).