McGuinty to Harper - "Help us develop our minerals".

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes, clearly, we can see that your reality includes a black and white analysis of economic and environmental variables.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Why not invest in both?

They're both business opportunities and this is the business government.
3 of the camps I was at are now fully producing mines and they do it with no roads or railways and make money at it.Roads and a seaport would mean more mines would come onstream very quickly but they still make money as fly in only.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
As one thought, the federal government could stop the billion or so it provides to Alberta's oil in subsidies and put it too development of the Ring of Fire. Alberta has had its turn.

Frankly, I would like to see Harper refuse. That would mean the decimation of his Party at the next election and Mulroney like status for him.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
As one thought, the federal government could stop the billion or so it provides to Alberta's oil in subsidies and put it too development of the Ring of Fire. Alberta has had its turn.

Frankly, I would like to see Harper refuse. That would mean the decimation of his Party at the next election and Mulroney like status for him.
got a link to all these billions?

Tax breaks and subsidies please.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Again, you cop out. No link is needed, The $1.5 billion, (the most common estimate) is reported over and over again. And in your area.
at any rate,the tax breaks in Alberta have nothing to do with ontario,as for jobs in Alberta,we must be doing something right as the oilsands are the economic engine running Canada right now.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
The economic engine running Canada is Toronto and its hinterland in Ontario. Yhat has not changed. The oilsands are a buildup of grit on the engine.

That has not changed and never will.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The economic engine running Canada is Toronto and its hinterland in Ontario. Yhat has not changed. The oilsands are a buildup of grit on the engine.

That has not changed and never will.
Then why are they asking for help?

So you just HAD to say something....

Regardless, Ring of Fire is a Northern Ontario resource. Let the Toronto Government dig its own mines....
Im independant,I work where the work pays the best at the time.

Im Canadian first,Albertan second.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Dont get me wrong,I'm all for this mine and the others in Ontario to get up and running,these are good paying jobs,lots of service jobs and the infrastructure that goes with it will help everyone up in that area that depends on air for everything.Chromium mineing could easily make up for all the jobs lost in the auto sector.
I just have issues with outfits asking for money,in my opinion if they show they can start,open and operate a mine on their own then help should come in the form of roads and deep sea ports like in Bathurst inlet where it is needed.Some of the mine companies I worked for before are in Ontario and doing well,you dont see them asking for help,they are good enough to do it on their own.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The mine's great - if politics doesn't kill it. Seems a bit nutty that McGuinty's looking for Federal help while at the same time his government wants to axe rail access to lesser sites

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The mine's great - if politics doesn't kill it. Seems a bit nutty that McGuinty's looking for Federal help while at the same time his government wants to axe rail access to lesser sites
Someone will mine it,thats one of the biggest deposits in the world and pretty well will supply the whole world.