McCain's Joe The Plumber

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I want to see Obama 'get' his chance, and not assume what he will do before then.
People who are against him, seem to decide what he is going to do, without giving him
a chance, Joe the plumber will never make more than 250,000, so that is a dead
comment, and a ridiculous direction for McCain, but unfortunately many will be sucked in, as usual, and, helping those who are less well off by reducing their income tax, is fair,
and the statement that they don't pay any to begin with, is false, everyone working,
making under 250,000 pay income tax, people who don't work, getting some sort of
government assistance, probably have to pay income tax on that anyway, these people
are not 'the point' of the statement of reducing income tax.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Let's say you're a plumber. Own your own company. You bill out your time at $75/hr. Overtime is 1.5 times that. Any supplies you sell, you mark up, say 50 percent.

Work 30 hrs/week, plus 10 hours of overtime, do $250,000 worth of material costs (not too difficult if you do lots of new consturction), take 4 wks off, and you're grossing about 287,000.

Most plumbers are small businessmen, they are contractors, they can make big gross, they may even have employees.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
So. Michelle Bachmann starts spewing comments about investigating Barack Obama, and CONGRESS itself, to route out 'anti-americans', and now Joe the Plumber is taking on the 'collectivist' nature of the democratic party. It looks to me like soon the Republicans will be trying to declare another cold war and step the US back a few decades, spreading paranoia and idiocy throughout its populace. How disingenious.

Impossible to spread it any thicker than it already is Karrie.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Let's say you're a plumber. Own your own company. You bill out your time at $75/hr. Overtime is 1.5 times that. Any supplies you sell, you mark up, say 50 percent.

Work 30 hrs/week, plus 10 hours of overtime, do $250,000 worth of material costs (not too difficult if you do lots of new consturction), take 4 wks off, and you're grossing about 287,000.

Most plumbers are small businessmen, they are contractors, they can make big gross, they may even have employees.
Now write down all of the costs, like employee salaries, vehicle(s) lease, CCA's and it's well below.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
My wife's uncle's are plumbers and they are multi millionaires, they are currently building the new hospital in North Bay 2 others and they have over 300 employees.

Anybody who thinks small can't see the potential of any business.

The burden of Canadian taxes hasn't made them poor nor did it prevent them from growing their business and making lots of dough, same goes for me but I don't constantly whine about taxes in this country like some piece of crap who blames government and taxes for their failures.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My wife's uncle's are plumbers and they are multi millionaires, they are currently building the new hospital in North Bay 2 others and they have over 300 employees.

Anybody who thinks small can't see the potential of any business.

The burden of Canadian taxes hasn't made them poor nor did it prevent them from growing their business and making lots of dough, same goes for me but I don't constantly whine about taxes in this country like some piece of crap who blames government and taxes for their failures.
I'll put money on it that neither report more than 250k net on their tax returns unless they have sold property triggering capital gains. Wealth buys wealth and cashflow, not necessarily more taxable income.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Republican congressional candidate Samuel "Joe the Plumber" Wurzelbacher has sunk plans for a congressional candidate's debate Thursday at Cleveland's City Club with Toledo Democratic Rep. Marcy Kaptur.

Wurzelbacher says the City Club debate "just didn't work in with the schedule," but he's got two other public events with Kaptur in the pipeline.

The candidate, who first gained public exposure by questioning President Barack Obama at a 2008 Toledo-area campaign event, said he plans to attend an Oct. 26 debate in Toledo hosted by WTVG Channel 13 and The Blade newspaper, as well as an Oct. 17 candidate forum in Lorain hosted by the Coalition for Hispanic/Latino Issues and Progress.

City Club spokeswoman Carrie Miller said Wurzelbacher did not respond to her organization's debate invitation, so Kaptur will speak at the event by herself.

'Joe the Plumber' sinks Cleveland City Club debate with Rep. Marcy Kaptur | cleveland.com

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012