Manitoba's Premier Greg Selinger = Politically Correct Putz

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Given that right by the men and women that died.

No, the right was given to them by the government. It was defended by men and women that died. Now some folks wish to disrespect the sacrifices of the soldiers by taking away the rights of others anyway.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all those including my father went overseas to fight and preserve peoples rights to do
certain things including not take part in Remembrance Day Ceremonies. Yet when some who
do approve declare they are not going to take part, are labelled for their actions.
Democracy is one of those things that can lead to division at times and we should realize it is
the strongest sought after thing in the world and at the same time if neglected its the most
frail of instruments.
I personally believe we should continue do remember those who sacrificed their life and limb
to preserve what we have, but how do you force others to care or respect something?
I have always believed even as a kid Respect is not just granted its earned by adults like teachers
police officers and others even parents. Respect is not about being popular its about conducting
yourself in a manner that affords respect from others If people don't want to participate its their
choice, its also my choice to have a little less respect for them today than I did yesterday
That is at the heart of the democratic process.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Why of course the people don’t want war … But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship … Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
Hermann Goering

So when this old paragraph is taught in every school to every child then I will believe that we are serious about remembering. DB

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The comment on here was young people in my day did what they were told, well I did and I didn't
It all depended on whether I believed the teacher or preacher or what ever. I remember challenging
a number of teachers and the belief system. I addition I walked out of the church once too after
expressing my view. Yes I respected teachers and preachers and police officers unless they were
not respectful or if I thought they were wrong.
Remembrance is not about reliving war and glory and all that it is respectful of the courage of those
living and dead that had the courage to do the right thing in a given circumstance, it is a supreme
thank you as it were.
My father who saw action in Africa and Europe not to mention the Blitz as they called it. He said
later, it was about money as every war was. He lost a lot of friends he told me, and because we
fought a dictator who the rest of the world sold materials to. Preserving democracy had a lot to do
with it but as he put it we disregarded democracy for profit and nearly lost it to the pursuit of greed.

I find that people who condemn others for not seeing their point of view subscribe to the view that
democracy is a wonderful thing as long as it is convenient. Democracy really works when people
on two sides of an issue try to see each others point of view.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Convince me that we have preserved democracy. Convince me that democracy is worth preserving at all. Convince me that we have ever known real democracy. When bankers decide when and who will go to war then it is plain that we have no democracy now nor at any time in our past. We have been had and had hard.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, the right was given to them by the government. It was defended by men and women that died. Now some folks wish to disrespect the sacrifices of the soldiers by taking away the rights of others anyway.
I actually agree with you 100%.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Convince me that we have preserved democracy. Convince me that democracy is worth preserving at all. Convince me that we have ever known real democracy. When bankers decide when and who will go to war then it is plain that we have no democracy now nor at any time in our past. We have been had and had hard.

A month in Aushwitz 1944 style might convince you. :lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Yes democracy is worth preserving, even though its flawed its still vital in our society.
Think of this, sometimes there is great injustice even withing our democracy. We then
compare it to the democratic principles we cherish, and deal with it accordingly most of
the time. If there was no concept of democracy society would become an impediment
in and of itself.
We need to improve democratic institutions and demand the social contract be lived up to.
Some people chose not to pay homage to those who served it is there right, by some its
measured as disrespectful but those people don't see it that way and its their democratic right.
Personally many of these people would be the first to run when the guns started up or they
would be the first to curse the leadership and those who did not defend them.
Ain't democracy great?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
In grade 8, (far more mature doncha know), those of us who wanted to could go to the service at the Cenotaph as long as we came right back after. This was a one school thing, instigated by a principal who had served in WW 1 & 2. We had a teacher volunteer supervising.

Most of us went and did actually come right back. I used to and still do, find it a moving experience.

Most of our fathers had been in WW2; most came back. Some didn't. We respected that way back when.

To our kids, "Flanders Fields" was just a poem by some Canadian that they had to memorize. Stuff changes.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Respect and manners never really change no matter how much we try to change them.
My father served in WWII on the front line, and he did his part. Ask yourself, if we had
allowed the antics of the Nazis and the Japanese to become the norm what kind of a
society would we have today?
These people stood up for civilization as much as anything else.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As mentioned this is a Parents right and their choice. And as kids get older their right to not attend. Tell me the benefits of stigmatizing children who do not attend Remembrance Day ceremonies.