Mandatory drug sentences 'colossal mistake', Canada told

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
100 people die from drug overdoses every day in the United States.

In 2008, there were 14,800 prescription painkiller deaths.

CDC - Prescription Painkiller Overdoses Policy Impact Brief - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

Annual Drug Related Deaths in the US – Marijuana Ranks Last … With ZERO

Note that deaths from adverse effects of prescription drugs is 32,000 and from illegal drugs is 17,000, Marijuana is 0.
Your second link is suspect but I'll give it to you. Thanks.

And thanks again for the neg rep and for proving me right about your infantile behaviour. But then anybody who thinks any of the Republican candidates has an IQ about that of a snail probably watches Sponge Bob Square Pants thinking it is a reality show.
Love Sponge Bob; I watch SB and Scrubs while I'm having breaky.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Your second link is suspect but I'll give it to you. Thanks.

Love Sponge Bob; I watch SB and Scrubs while I'm having breaky.

Walter - Either rebut or shove those reds up your ass.

And as many stated we can see a number of DUMB ffN Laws into play that even the Minister for Public Safety cannot even understand what clauses are in it.

Tell me the difference between being charged for having 4 or 6 Pot Plants?

Then we have Tony - AKA the Gazebo Man or I never saw 50 Million I could not waste - in charge of the hen house.

Yesir Walter we got us some bright ones we did, real bright ones like smart like a big dog, ceptin I prefer the dog first.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The more I read this stuff the more I'm inclined to think that if everybody going to FT Mac needs to pass a drug test I would think being sent to Ottawa would also qualify as a mandatory drug test for elected politicians and their staff as their duties are a lot more 'important' than doing a few shifts where there are as many safety people as there are workers.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One more example of why it is best to turn left when the americans turn right.

When did they ever turn left? Most of the dems would be considered right of Harper.

The more I read this stuff the more I'm inclined to think that if everybody going to FT Mac needs to pass a drug test I would think being sent to Ottawa would also qualify as a mandatory drug test for elected politicians and their staff as their duties are a lot more 'important' than doing a few shifts where there are as many safety people as there are workers.

Yea but those in Ottawa get their hallucinogens from big pharma and paid for by the taxpayer so they are OK.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
All we are doing is setting ourselves up for prisons to become the biggest budget item
making medicare and education take a back seat. We will soon have more money
invested in prisons than in schools and universities and then the roof will fall in and the
decriminalization of drugs will happen.
Snidely Whiplash and his federal counterparts are fulfilling their 1980's dream of cracking
down on imaginary crime. Isn't it wonderful that we have a government dedicated to
solving problems of the 1980;s?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
All we are doing is setting ourselves up for prisons to become the biggest budget item
making medicare and education take a back seat. We will soon have more money
invested in prisons than in schools and universities and then the roof will fall in and the
decriminalization of drugs will happen.
Snidely Whiplash and his federal counterparts are fulfilling their 1980's dream of cracking
down on imaginary crime. Isn't it wonderful that we have a government dedicated to
solving problems of the 1980;s?
That's when most of their brains stopped working from drug use.

Yea but those in Ottawa get their hallucinogens from big pharma and paid for by the taxpayer so they are OK.
Not a big deal, eliminate the drugs or the job but they don't get both.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The US imprisons 737 people for every 100 000 popuation.
Canada, 117 per 100 000
Even china is only 111 per 100 000.
Almost 1% of the American population is in gaol. Is that what we want? Madness!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Check out the profits the prisons are making in the us. With the economy tanking a prison guard is probably going to be the best employer.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The US imprisons 737 people for every 100 000 popuation.
Canada, 117 per 100 000
Even china is only 111 per 100 000.
Almost 1% of the American population is in gaol. Is that what we want? Madness!

That's because you and the Chinese are so polite!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That's because you and the Chinese are so polite!
Actually, the Chinese tend to just execute a convicted felon right outside the courtroom. Saves a lot of money and keeps the prison population low. In the US, prisons for profit make any misdemeanor while in jail a reason to prolong sentences so as to maximize profits. The more prisoners, the more they get paid by the government. Sooner or later, the US is going to look more and more like "Escape from LA".

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Drugs have been around since the Roman Empire or even before so we are going to eliminate
them now. That is not going to happen, unfortunately so we eliminate the war on drugs and
all those jobs putting people in prisons for minor crimes.
Unfortunately we don't begin to intervene until it much too late. Kids at risk are at first preached
to, then they are threatened into better behaviour. At that point we fail. Kids have to be able to
communicate with adults and if they are going to be chastised or prosecuted they won't admit to
anything, and from there they cycle of drugs begins and spirals out of control.
We have to find a way to get to them with the help they need and not the recrimination aspects.
It is time we used our common sense instead of our my way or the highway mentality.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Making work for all their unemployed prison guards, since we don't have any experienced ones we will have to import them from, .... you guessed it, the US of A. (@ double the salary as a norther living allowance)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tombstone all over again. Civilization advances slowly.
Idea..
Petros, paintball parks could be reconfigured.
Paintball tanks and artillery converted too?