Man who slapped baby on plane receives prison sentence

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I agree, it doesn't make sense given the somewhat lighter sentencing we see for more serious or potentially serious offences we see. But I do think it's telling that the prosecutor requested six-month sentence and it was the judge that gave him eight. Kind of makes me think there was something in his demeanor maybe that prodded the judge to give him bit harsher of a sentence? Just speculating of course but my understanding is it's not often that a judge exceeds the sentencing request of the crown (prosecuting attorney, whatever).

I'm assuming it's because you can't be seen to be going light when it's there's any hint it was racially motivated.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't think the judge was acting on emotion the sentence was slightly more
than expected but he won't be there more than three months anyway.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

It's a hard one to call as the most important information is missing...................what was the extent of the harm to the child? I thought it may have been a little over kill as the man probably just snapped from the terrible ordeal he was going through. Probably not too much compassion shown in the sentencing.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
To make matters worse he was going there drunk and admitted his has a drinking problem.
I have been through the experience of not knowing and a situation that could go either way
It is scary as hell to tell you the truth and sometimes like in my case it plays out over a
number of days. 8 months is a little to hard and a change to redeem oneself would be
more in keeping with the sentence but a slap on the wrist was not in order either
If he hit my kid I'd be in jail and he'd be in hospital

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I wouldn't drop the charges, but I'd push for no jail time. Community service, anger management, I don't know. But this doesn't say 'justice'.

The jail sentence was to satisfy the public.

exactly....it doesn't say justice at all, it says revenge...get the guy some help...I am shocked
I agree.

Yup, I still haven't figured out why some folks are responsible for what they do when they're drinking and others aren't

Again you fail to understand.

I agree, it doesn't make sense given the somewhat lighter sentencing we see for more serious or potentially serious offences we see. But I do think it's telling that the prosecutor requested six-month sentence and it was the judge that gave him eight. Kind of makes me think there was something in his demeanor maybe that prodded the judge to give him bit harsher of a sentence? Just speculating of course but my understanding is it's not often that a judge exceeds the sentencing request of the crown (prosecuting attorney, whatever).

Exactly - A sentence to appease the public.

I'm assuming it's because you can't be seen to be going light when it's there's any hint it was racially motivated.

Again another excellent point.

The sentence was not appropriate. Karrie was on the money.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
How about this?