making your own stock

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
it looked rather similar to the marrowbone jelly you get in dogfood, except it was green/ Bleeurgh

Did you use green peas herman? When I make pea soup I generally use the yellow-coloured peas. I think the taste is identical but the colour is a little more attractive.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Did you use green peas herman? When I make pea soup I generally use the yellow-coloured peas. I think the taste is identical but the colour is a little more attractive.

that's what I do too.

And, on another note Herm... the gelatin melts when warmed up, and it all goes back to being fairly 'soup like'.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
that's what I do too.

And, on another note Herm... the gelatin melts when warmed up, and it all goes back to being fairly 'soup like'.

If not, just add a little more (liquid) stock or water and stir after microwaving. Some of the canned soups come out jelly-like and it never stops me from eating them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Funny. I've never made pea soup using stock. I usually dump the ham bones, peas, water, and all the ingredients into the soup pot and let it simmer all day. You only have to take out the bones and maybe cut the ham into smaller pieces, skim off the fat, and the soup is made and ready to eat. If I put left over soup in the fridge, it solidifies into a a lump and you have to add a bit of water and heat it up to liquify it again. This is normal.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I start boiling down the bones the day I cook the pork shoulder. I boil them up and toss it in the fridge so I can skim the fat off (most of it), before the peas have a chance to soak it up and bind it into the soup. Makes it a little lower fat that way, and I'm cleaning up and packaging the meat anyway, may as well boil up the bones while I'm at it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is usually a fair amount of meat left on the ham bones, and before I start the soup I remove any obvious fat. The peas have to cook most of the day anyway, so they may as well simmer with the ham bones. This is maybe a lazy habit I've gotten into but I'm unlikely to change thirty odd years of happy tradition.....:lol: