Majority of Canadians support return of death penalty

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well I sure as hell would not be one of them. Guy Paul Morin was tried twice and convicted once in my hometown for a crime generally considered to be a death penalty case in jurisdictions that have capital punishment.

He was 100% innocent.

That case is indeed the 'poster child' for not having the death penalty resurrected in Canada.

I notice this poll is almost 3 years old...............

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
As somebody that, generally speaking, thinks the government screws up just about everything it touches, I can't understand why anybody would want to give it the power to kill it's citizens.
There's a lot you can't understand.

The only possible justification for the Death Penalty is that it deters crime.
You're daft. Capital punishment prevents the guilty from committing another crime; that's a good justification.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You're daft. Capital punishment prevents the guilty from committing another crime; that's a good justification.
No it's not. Since there are other ways to prevent the guilty from committing another crime, it's only a good justification to those that wish to hand more power to the government. Unlike you, I don't trust the government and would like to get them out of people's lives as much as possible. Of course I'm a real conservative, not a pretend one like you.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That case is indeed the 'poster child' for not having the death penalty resurrected in Canada.

I notice this poll is almost 3 years old...............
If it was after a verdict it would still be an active case. Guilty and done deal within 10 days, that is why you make the trials as through as possible and today the judges should already have gone over all the important material anyway. Do it via video and there are 10 trials a day rather than 1 every 10 days. Wire everybody up with a duress meter once the session is being recorded and there ya go, justice and lunch and execution, all in the same day.

No it's not. Since there are other ways to prevent the guilty from committing another crime, it's only a good justification to those that wish to hand more power to the government. Unlike you, I don't trust the government and would like to get them out of people's lives as much as possible. Of course I'm a real conservative, not a pretend one like you.
I'm in favor of shock rings on the junk of sex offenders that goes off as soon as they get a boner. If there was that and I has a remote then that would be 'out of line'. I'm pretty sure a guy who just had his peepee Tarazed is not going to continue the fantasy or the sexual based crime that brought on the erection. A politician would probably get a tounge device that went off whenever movement was detected. Sign the cheques and be quiet. They are employees, time we started treating them like their own book demands they treat us, might be a little painful but better it be them than us that takes the 'hit for the team'.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

So does life in a maximum security prison. So far as I know Paul Bernardo and Robert Pickton haven't re-offended.

Leighton Hay finally freed a decade after wrongful first-degree murder conviction | National Post

This just happened. First degree murder is generally considered a capital crime where the death penalty exists. So long as this sort of thing can happen I'm opposed. Id rather pay to keep the guilty alive than to risk paying to kill an innocent person with the guilty. That would put blood on all of our hands.

Also, I dont see this happening anytime soon if at all. Harper is in favour but even he has said he wont touch the issue. So far he has been pretty laid back when it comes to the social issues. The other two major parties are against it so it doesnt really matter which of them has power for this issue in the forseeable future.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Capital punishment prevents the guilty from committing another crime; that's a good justification.
How many would they kill if they spent that time in general population. Being on death row also allows you to more legal features than not being there. How about all that time be spent being an orderly at a nut house rather than using up legal resources to dispute something that has already been closely examined. Barring that open air prisons are the next step up. Devil's Island remoteness where the guards and the inmates are all prisoners. Be the new reality players or has that been overdone already?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So does life in a maximum security prison. So far as I know Paul Bernardo and Robert Pickton haven't re-offended.

The number of murderers that have re-offended it's so small it is completely insignificant. Wally is talking about killing a mosquito with a sledgehammer. It seems to me this is what the anti-gun people dead after the Montreal massacre. Let's hand control over to the government. If it saves just one life it will all be worth it....wally's not the first person to express that sentiment.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011

Where's the evidence for that? All we have is evidence contrary to that. The death sentence has never ever shown to be a proper deterrent, for example one of the most crime riddled states in America is Tennessee and they have the death penalty.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Where's the evidence for that? All we have is evidence contrary to that. The death sentence has never ever shown to be a proper deterrent, for example one of the most crime riddled states in America is Tennessee and they have the death penalty.
How many dead people committed a murder after they died?

Poverty rate and education level has a lot more to do with crime rate than the death penalty
Culture and single parents have a lot more to do with it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
How many dead people committed a murder after they died

How many people without guns commit crimes involving guns? You do realize you're using the same type of argument that gun control advocates use? You sound more and more like a Dipper every day.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Poverty rate and education level has a lot more to do with crime rate than the death penalty

Absolutely. And working with youth, and I mean really working with them, not some half-measure feel good social program but giving them real options and realistic way out, is the only way to get the crime stats down permanently. Get them while they're young and not habitual. Won't get all of them but we can make a dent.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'm for the death penalty but only for serial killers and serial rapists. Basically for those who enjoy killing and torturing their fellow man.

The cost does not have to be prohibitive.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
That would be most of the CIA though. :lol:

I imagine for some of them, there is a personal level of pleasure derived from their job. However, since it's their job, it might make it a bit different.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The evidence for that is that no person who has been executed has ever re-offended.

I'm for the death penalty but only for serial killers and serial rapists. Basically for those who enjoy killing and torturing their fellow man.

The cost does not have to be prohibitive.
I'm for the death penalty for people who talk in the cinema, litterbugs, yappy-dog owners, and girls who post "duckface" selfies on social media.