mac & cheese recipe

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ultimate Mac n' Cheese

Everyone needs Mac ‘N Cheese in their repertoire, and this one made with old cheddar and gruyere is as good as it gets.

Serves

Ingredients

375 mL or 1 1/2 cups All-Bran Buds* cereal
454 g or 1 lb elbow macaroni
1L or 4 cups milk
2 Bay leaves
125 mL or 1/2 cup butter, divided
125 mL or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 L or 4 cups grated Old Cheddar
5 mL or 1 tsp sea salt
5 mL or 1 tsp mustard powder
1 mL or 1/4 tsp cayenne
Pinch nutmeg
2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
60 mL or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
500 ml or 2 cups grated Gruyere

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).

2. Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package just until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain well.

3. Meanwhile, heat the milk with the bay leaves in a small saucepan without bringing it to a boil.

4. Melt 90 ml (6 tbsp ) of the butter in a large pot and add the flour, whisking constantly to make a paste, about 1 minute.

5. Whisk in the hot milk and cook until thickened and smooth, about 2 minutes.

6. Remove from heat, stir in the Cheddar, Gruyere, salt, mustard cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Remove bay leaves. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a baking dish.

7. Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining butter. In a small bowl, drizzle butter over the All-Bran Buds* cereal and toss with a fork to combine. Spread over macaroni. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is crisp. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Makes 12 servings.

PER SERVING:

440 Calories

26 g Protein

48 g Carbohydrate

17 g Fat

8 g Dietary Fibre

In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg’s® products. Results with other products may vary.

http://allbran.ca/en_CA/recipes/ultimate-mac-n-cheese-recipe.html

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
That looks worth a try. I've been going "cajun" with my mac 'n cheese lately. Browned Jimmy Dean sausage, Rotel tomatoes and cajun seasoning into your favorite creamy mac 'n cheese recipe. Pretty much a heart attack on a fork but who wants to live forever? :)

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
A little too busy for my bland taste when it comes to the mac and cheese. I like home made but very simple. Macaroni, cheese, a little butter, cream and a pinch of salt that's about it.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
One of the few memories that I have of my grandma is that I would go to her house, on Tuesdays, and we would have macaroni and cheese. Since was 6 when she passed away, I don't remember the recipe other than the fact that she baked it in the oven.it is such a comfort food for me. Now I open the box, guess on the milk I use, then cover it with ketchup.