Lotto 649 - 40 Million, what would you do?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You hit the nail on the head- give me $40,000 and I'll never complain again as long as I live. These jackpots are ridiculous. If the limit was set at 1/2 million 80 people could benefit in a big way, rather than one person spending himself sick like a child with a big bag of candy.

If the limit was 1/2 million, nobody would buy tickets.

1/2 million is hardly enough to retire on, there's not much appeal to that.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
$40 million is a staggeringly huge sum of money. I could win about $40 million, pay off all my debts and my kids' debts, take care of some of my relatives, buy a new house and several cars, and still have about $40 million, rounding it to the nearest million. After paying debts and buying some nice things for myself, my wife, my children, and the others I love best, I'd give it away to what I consider to be worthy charities. Suddenly having that much money I think can really mess you up, my instinct would be to get rid of it as fast as possible. I think... I'll let you know if I actually win it. :smile:
You'd also make a nice gift to the gov't, too. lol

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I could make a damn good stab at it, but regardless withdrawn at $25,000 a year it could change an ordinary retirement to be very comfortable. :smile:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yep, you got that right, we've been through it, hockey, swim clubs, soccer etc. Hockey was the worst but with the swim club there was quite a bit of travelling I seem to recall. With the hockey at least you can cut corners. You don't have to buy brand new gear, the kid will try telling you otherwise but that's bullsh*t. Every fall they had an equipment swap day at the arena where you could get good 2nd hand stuff and then to make the kid feel a little better he'd get a new pair of glove or shin pads for Xmas - if he was good. Of course the rich kids (or more likely the parents) try to dictate trends, you have to tell them to get lost. :lol:
They still have skate swaps but it pretty much ends there. Once they get to a certain level of hockey (and even at 10 yrs. of age, my grandson is there), they travel lots. They play in Comox, Lake Cowichan, Victoria and tournaments in Vancouver. Have you checked out the cost of a good hockey stick lately? He must wear a helmet with a face guard, he must wear a mouth piece, shin and ankle pads. He's padded everywhere and it's a requirement - not just fussy parents. He has an equipment bag that costs a small fortune. It stands and opens like a closet door! All his uniform etc. is hung up inside and provides a place where he can hang up his other clothes while he's in his gear. He goes to tournaments in a shirt and tie with dress pants. A trip to a Tourney in Vancouver usually is two nights in a hotel plus ferry and food costs. He even goes to summer hockey camp which is another big expense. I realize that many of these costs are optional in the sense that if he wasn't a good player, they wouldn't need to spend so much but he is good. He was listed amongst those who rank 4th province wide for his age group and this is his first year in that age group. It's the first year they start hitting! They actually go to a training camp for that as well.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Sadly, you are right. Half a million is basically only enough to pay for a house and a car with a little left over to share.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They still have skate swaps but it pretty much ends there. Once they get to a certain level of hockey (and even at 10 yrs. of age, my grandson is there), they travel lots. They play in Comox, Lake Cowichan, Victoria and tournaments in Vancouver. Have you checked out the cost of a good hockey stick lately? He must wear a helmet with a face guard, he must wear a mouth piece, shin and ankle pads. He's padded everywhere and it's a requirement - not just fussy parents. He has an equipment bag that costs a small fortune. It stands and opens like a closet door! All his uniform etc. is hung up inside and provides a place where he can hang up his other clothes while he's in his gear. He goes to tournaments in a shirt and tie with dress pants. A trip to a Tourney in Vancouver usually is two nights in a hotel plus ferry and food costs. He even goes to summer hockey camp which is another big expense. I realize that many of these costs are optional in the sense that if he wasn't a good player, they wouldn't need to spend so much but he is good. He was listed amongst those who rank 4th province wide for his age group and this is his first year in that age group. It's the first year they start hitting! They actually go to a training camp for that as well.

Yeah, it's too bad it's become victim of a bunch of entrepreneurs trying to capitalize. I can see some of it for the ones in their upper teens, but a bunch of 8 year olds don't need very much safety equipment and until they find out if the kid is really into it, 2nd hand equipment is just fine. It's time a lot of people got realistic including some parents and coaches. I guess it's gotten to be an elitest sport, if your parents don't have the big bucks you just don't play. Sad. What equipment did the kids playing hockey in backyards on the prairies years ago have. Skates, a stick and a toque and that was about it. This head gear is even getting to be bullsh*t. :smile:

furiousrooster

Aug 9, 2010
Lotto max and 649 are SCAMS set up by the OLG.....I actually called them cause the odds were not making sense as per the amount of tickets sold....they amount of people who draw there own numbers are 20 percent.....quick pick numbers accumulate to 70-80 percent....heres the catch....THEY WILL DRAW THE SAME NUMBERS AND DISPERSE THEM ACCORDINGLY.....for example if you get a quick pick number lets say 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 they will regenerate that same line repeatedly to others...they wouldnt give me the exact ratio of how often this occurs but this is all part of the SCAM

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Lotto max and 649 are SCAMS set up by the OLG.....I actually called them cause the odds were not making sense as per the amount of tickets sold....they amount of people who draw there own numbers are 20 percent.....quick pick numbers accumulate to 70-80 percent....heres the catch....THEY WILL DRAW THE SAME NUMBERS AND DISPERSE THEM ACCORDINGLY.....for example if you get a quick pick number lets say 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 they will regenerate that same line repeatedly to others...they wouldnt give me the exact ratio of how often this occurs but this is all part of the SCAM

Quick picks are random and I believe random means having the same chance as every other combination. There is no valid reason to screw around with a system that can be managed much better by mathematics. While mathematics won't necessarily give the desired effects for a few episodes over the long haul they will and that is what the Lottery Corps. is "banking" on. :lol::lol:

furiousrooster

Aug 9, 2010
you would think that if you are using quick pick that the numbers that you get are "random" but its really not....think about it....649 has a 1 in 14.5 million chance of winning.....not bad odds....given that the number of tickets being sold on any given draw would seem to favor "us"....however thats why they regenerate the numbers to keep the odds favoring them....I would like to set up a website similar to how OLG has for us to view "winning numbers". If you go to the site and type in your numbers they will tell you if they ever won and list the winning numbers.....I want to do the opposite and have people post there losing numbers and compare them nationwide....I'm sure this would open up a can of worms that the OLG would try to put a stop too....let me know if anyone would like to set this up.....Im sure it would generate HUGE hits....and similarly once this catches on....
"we" would be able to actually see what numbers are not being "randomly" picked etc. and maybe a way to beat the system.....worth the setup forsure