Looks like there is now a Canadian auto maker

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
He is going to build some or all Opel cars here? I thought Europe was the primary market for Opel.

Opel designed most of GM's line. It might not have sold under the name 'Opel', but, it was Opel. So, don't hold out a lot of hope for Stronach's endeavour. I don't quite get what's magically going to make the Opel brand better than what they were doing for GM.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Opel designed most of GM's line. It might not have sold under the name 'Opel', but, it was Opel. So, don't hold out a lot of hope for Stronach's endeavour. I don't quite get what's magically going to make the Opel brand better than what they were doing for GM.

I'm aware of the technology traded between the two, that's what left me confused as to why North America would need more rebranded GM cars. Apparently GM is concerned about Opel cannibalizing their sales.

STRONACH'S OPEL DILEMMA - The Globe and Mail

"But Mr. Stronach has a dilemma. He has helped save GM from the embarrassment and cost of having its European operations placed in bankruptcy protection.

But General Motors has insisted as part of the deal that Opel vehicles not be sold in the U.S. market."

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm aware of the technology traded between the two, that's what left me confused as to why North America would need more rebranded GM cars. Apparently GM is concerned about Opel cannibalizing their sales.

But General Motors has insisted as part of the deal that Opel vehicles not be sold in the U.S. market."

Very typical that GM wishes to restrict competition, a failed m.o. for decades. Will they ever learn? Further evidence this walking zombie will be long gone soon. Yahoo!!!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Very typical that GM wishes to restrict competition, a failed m.o. for decades. Will they ever learn? Further evidence this walking zombie will be long gone soon. Yahoo!!!

GM is purported to remain a 35% chunk of Opel, post sale. So I can see why they would be nervous of having to complete against something they partially own. GM has recently gone to great lengths in shrinking its confusing product lines, bringing Open into it would undue some of that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Opel was competing with VW, Mercedes, BMW, plus other European manufacturers, all of which are a higher quality than anything built in North America. I wasn't aware that GM had stuck in that clause about no sales in the U.S.. That will make a difference.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's a pity that people aren't willing to start a truly Canadian car company. Canadian design, Canadian manufacturing.... make it ACTUALLY Canadian and then you don't have to worry about the other people Opel has sold their ideas to.

Invest in expanding Zenn for example.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's a pity that people aren't willing to start a truly Canadian car company. Canadian design, Canadian manufacturing.... make it ACTUALLY Canadian and then you don't have to worry about the other people Opel has sold their ideas to.

Invest in expanding Zenn for example.

If I ware Frank Stronach, I wouldn't bother. That No sales in the U.S. clause will probably kill any chance Opel had in North America.

Zenn at the moment is a bit too specialized to have much of an impact. You can't drive any electric car from Vancouver to Kamloops so it remains pretty much a commuter's little bus to get to work and back. In California there must be 200 manufacturers of little electric commuter cars. Part of ZENN's heritage is a golf cart.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If I ware Frank Stronach, I wouldn't bother. That No sales in the U.S. clause will probably kill any chance Opel had in North America.

Zenn at the moment is a bit too specialized to have much of an impact. You can't drive any electric car from Vancouver to Kamloops so it remains pretty much a commuter's little bus to get to work and back. In California there must be 200 manufacturers of little electric commuter cars. Part of ZENN's heritage is a golf cart.

reread what I said one should invest in with Zenn.... EXPANDING. I know what their current products are. That has nothing to do with what they'd be if one were to expand.

Part of Honda's heritage is mopeds. Zenn's beginnings are in keeping with excellence in their field.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
reread what I said one should invest in with Zenn.... EXPANDING. I know what their current products are. That has nothing to do with what they'd be if one were to expand.

Part of Honda's heritage is mopeds. Zenn's beginnings are in keeping with excellence in their field.

Right now ZENN is counting on the success of a new technology from Texas. If that technology does perform as they hope, it will be a breakthrough akin to the invention of the wheel. Over 400 km range and rechargable in five or six minutes. How could anyone buy anything else?

I remain a bit sceptical but I have an open mind. I wish them luck.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Gov't. should never have bailed the auto companies out - huge mistake. There's no particular brand of car that anyone has to own and w/o G.M. & Chrysler, there are still lots of choices.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Magna is already heavy in the car industry, they are a big supplier for all the makers. I believe they designed a car of their own years ago but it is sitting in a warehouse somewhere. A bit ahead of its time so it was never made, sort of like a plane in the 60s........