Long Weekend Plans???

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If your going to live on a boat i think diesel would be a concern.
Especially with a used older model.
Think smelling diesel fumes always to the point you won't notice the taste of food on some boats after sleeping on them for a few weeks:roll:
Maybe a little extreme in making my point,but true enough in some cases.

The attraction with diesel engines is that they are more reliable and burn a fraction of the fuel that gas engines do. If anything, gas engines are worse because the burn twice as much fuel...also there is no pollution control equipment on marine engines. I would rather have diesels any day of the week.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
The attraction with diesel engines is that they are more reliable and burn a fraction of the fuel that gas engines do. If anything, gas engines are worse because the burn twice as much fuel...also there is no pollution control equipment on marine engines. I would rather have diesels any day of the week.

Yeah but I know people that say they stink....Hell i've been in old mercedeces diesels and could detect a diesel smell.....Of course i got a pretty good sniffer....it's an issue everywhere these days8O

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's a 1994 Carver Crusader, with twin shaft drive V-8s. Pass anything but a gas station. With an 11'-10" beam it is a great rough water boat but it does burn gas like it was free. There is another version of this boat with twin 6 cyl. Lehman diesels that will give you 16 knots at 10 gallons per hour but those boats are never on the market for more than a few hours.

I hear ya. I've been researching diesel conversions to run biodiesel fuel and one of the best setups I've found thus far is a system that starts the boat off regular diesel and then after the engine is warmed up and running, switching over to a biodiesel fuel to run on and then switching back to regular diesel just five minutes before shutdown. That way the engine has the additives run through it to keep it clean and lubed.

Obvious draw back is the complexity of the system having two fuels to hold and so on, but the cost for the conversion can be recovered pretty fast. Next is biodiesel availability. But that is growing. And I suspect with the decline of oil and the price hikes, it will push more investors into the production side of it.

I've been looking at these Volvo Penta engines. That technology is pretty impressive. I like the water and exhaust ported right out the engines into the propwash, and the design putting 100% of the thrust into the direction you want to go.

I think I want to see these on the water for a couple of years yet before I would drop the money on a refit with them though.

Your Carver sounds beamy. Do you use stabilizers or have you found that to be a problem at all? I've seen the hydraulic fin type and they sound great but I wonder just how much of a difference that would make verses the added maintenance and potential for problems with it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Any type of diesel conversion would suit me but that is an expensive proposition. The main strengths of the Carver are it's ability to handle very rough water and the soft ride at speed. The weaknesses are the obvious ones. At slower trolling/fishing speeds it rides like a bloody raft and at anything near the cruising speed it is capable of it burns well over twenty gallons an hour. The boat is beamy....close to two feet more than a lot of boats of this length. That extra width gives us a nice wide salon and room for a decent sized galley and head but it adds to the problems I mentioned.

I've never considered stabilizers and as far as I know, neither did the builder for this boat. There are a lot of logs and deadheads in the coastal waters and anything sticking out sticking out like a stabilizer fin stands a fair chance of getting sheared off.

The weather on the west coast can turn crappy very quickly and you either have a nice solid displacement hull so you can ride it out, or you have lots of power and speed so you can get in quickly

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Any type of diesel conversion would suit me but that is an expensive proposition. The main strengths of the Carver are it's ability to handle very rough water and the soft ride at speed. The weaknesses are the obvious ones. At slower trolling/fishing speeds it rides like a bloody raft and at anything near the cruising speed it is capable of it burns well over twenty gallons an hour. The boat is beamy....close to two feet more than a lot of boats of this length. That extra width gives us a nice wide salon and room for a decent sized galley and head but it adds to the problems I mentioned.

I've never considered stabilizers and as far as I know, neither did the builder for this boat. There are a lot of logs and deadheads in the coastal waters and anything sticking out sticking out like a stabilizer fin stands a fair chance of getting sheared off.

The weather on the west coast can turn crappy very quickly and you either have a nice solid displacement hull so you can ride it out, or you have lots of power and speed so you can get in quickly

Definitely a huge undertaking and really the only reason I consider it is that I plan on a long relationship with with the boat. I envy some of the old timers around here that have owned their boats for decades and have traveled extensively the East coast, the US and the Caribbean. That's the sort of thing I'm really interested in and so rather than finding a boat with all the things I want, I figure that it's best to invest the time and money in finding the foundation I can build upon over the years.

I'm very impressed with the Penta engines but I heard that Mercury has a similar idea now so want to really look into them too.

Have you ever bothered with getting the drive train specked and a prop custom matched to it? Of the few people I've talk to that have done that only one said it wasn't worth it.

Good point about the dead heads and the stabilizers. I was thinking of a forward looking sonar to help with that sort of thing as well as I haven't the years and years of experience on my side. Though I'm not sure if weedy areas cause problems with that. Sure would be helpful running unfamiliar inlets or in less than great conditions.

I've thought about the beam vs speed and fuel issue. I think I'm a slowpoke sort in that I like to cruise and just soak up the scenery passing by. So I'm looking for something with about a 14" beam should I find "the" boat over 50'. Probably 16' beam is as much as I'd ever want to go though with full displacement. That extra room inside sure can make up for a lot when it comes to living on the boat I suspect.

Do you use a lot of electrical that requires a multi-battery setup? So many options I have no idea where I want to go with that. Though with solar cells coming down in price and the efficiency of them rising, I would like to incorporate that in the system design.

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
Whatcha gonna do on your long weekend?

I'm going to get my place cleaned up a bit and I'm going to have some family over here. Get the BBQ set up and then go from there.

Oh, and I'm also going to see The Simpsons Movie on Sunday. So, that should be about it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Definitely a huge undertaking and really the only reason I consider it is that I plan on a long relationship with with the boat. I envy some of the old timers around here that have owned their boats for decades and have traveled extensively the East coast, the US and the Caribbean. That's the sort of thing I'm really interested in and so rather than finding a boat with all the things I want, I figure that it's best to invest the time and money in finding the foundation I can build upon over the years.

I'm very impressed with the Penta engines but I heard that Mercury has a similar idea now so want to really look into them too.

Have you ever bothered with getting the drive train specked and a prop custom matched to it? Of the few people I've talk to that have done that only one said it wasn't worth it.

Good point about the dead heads and the stabilizers. I was thinking of a forward looking sonar to help with that sort of thing as well as I haven't the years and years of experience on my side. Though I'm not sure if weedy areas cause problems with that. Sure would be helpful running unfamiliar inlets or in less than great conditions.

I've thought about the beam vs speed and fuel issue. I think I'm a slowpoke sort in that I like to cruise and just soak up the scenery passing by. So I'm looking for something with about a 14" beam should I find "the" boat over 50'. Probably 16' beam is as much as I'd ever want to go though with full displacement. That extra room inside sure can make up for a lot when it comes to living on the boat I suspect.

Do you use a lot of electrical that requires a multi-battery setup? So many options I have no idea where I want to go with that. Though with solar cells coming down in price and the efficiency of them rising, I would like to incorporate that in the system design.

I don't think I've got the patience or the energy to do a complete conversion. In my case it would probably be better to flog the present boat and buy one a little closer to what I want. My first boat was a Campion 27. It had a Mercruiser stern drive and a 350 ci V8. It would go very fast but it burned a lot of gas and it was a pig in rough water.

I never thought of getting an expert to look at the prop selection....I guess I thought the manufacturer did that. On the other hand the boat was nine years old when I bought it and who knows what previous owner(s) might have done though the props look like the ones in the manual.

Right now I've got just two batteries but I have a small Onan gen set that will run the fridge, stove, and a bit of extra heating for cold nights. I did buy a gimmicky solar cell array for a hundred bucks that is supposed to charge the batteries. I haven't used it.

One thing I've found is that, as someone said, boats are "a hole in the water where you throw money". There couldn't be a more apt description.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Doing some work around the house and going up north on Tuesday to my cottage to do some more work.:lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I don't think I've got the patience or the energy to do a complete conversion. In my case it would probably be better to flog the present boat and buy one a little closer to what I want. My first boat was a Campion 27. It had a Mercruiser stern drive and a 350 ci V8. It would go very fast but it burned a lot of gas and it was a pig in rough water.

I never thought of getting an expert to look at the prop selection....I guess I thought the manufacturer did that. On the other hand the boat was nine years old when I bought it and who knows what previous owner(s) might have done though the props look like the ones in the manual.

Right now I've got just two batteries but I have a small Onan gen set that will run the fridge, stove, and a bit of extra heating for cold nights. I did buy a gimmicky solar cell array for a hundred bucks that is supposed to charge the batteries. I haven't used it.

One thing I've found is that, as someone said, boats are "a hole in the water where you throw money". There couldn't be a more apt description.

That's life eh, just pick a hole a start chucking money into it. Plenty of holes to go around for everyone. heh heh

It's different for everyone I'm told. While some enjoy working on the boat even more than getting it in the water and moving it about. I think I want to be the captain that can stand on the bow and know everything about the boat because I personally tended to each bolt in the thing. I want a very long relationship with the boat I get. And I know that sounds a little bit much, but I love the idea that my wife and I can work on it like we would a cottage somewhere. Adding this and that each year, and so on til we've got it just as we like it.

A major refit like that will take some serious time. So I've been looking for the best candidate for that over the past few months and learning about what I need to do to get myself there knowledge wise. Some stuff you just want a pro to do. Like the engine room refitting. Though putting new engines in might cost a lot, and be a can of worms, the benefit of added efficiency, cleaner burning, and meeting the new regs the US is going to be putting on marine engines now and in the future will soon pay for the costs.

The prop is a very important part of the drive train. While some manufacturers do balance and adjust prop to hull and engine specs, plenty don't. They just used to pop the one that came with it on the shaft and that's that. But once someone started looking at pitch and matching thrust to max hull speed and engine rpm they found that the right pitch and size made a huge difference in performance and fuel efficiency.

I haven't really set much thought to the genset yet. I know I want to match it to needs and look to alternative power generation to charge a battery bank, I just don't know how simple or complex I will make that. I know that we don't want to give up on some stuff like a wash and dryer. So a 220 vote system will have to get worked in to the plan. The rest I think I want to look at inverters and keep all I can under a limit of twelve hours of operation from battery power so that we can enjoy the quiet on the hook. Laundry can wait for a marina once or twice a week when we're enroute.

I've seen some liveaboards with a wind generator and a number of solar cells mounted on the unwalkable areas of the boat. So I'll probably go that route too.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Congrats!
Is Doug handing out cigars?

Muz

THE BOOK IS DONE!!!!!!! WHoo Hooooo!!! Goes to the printer in the morning.

Book launch friday Aug 10, 7-9pm at the Ancient Mystic, Hwy 7 Markham

*does a happy dance*

Crashed

Jun 1, 2007
Nova Scotia
THE BOOK IS DONE!!!!!!! WHoo Hooooo!!! Goes to the printer in the morning.

Book launch friday Aug 10, 7-9pm at the Ancient Mystic, Hwy 7 Markham

*does a happy dance*

Congrats Tri! Affair accompli.

K, B, R and i are heading to the USA early tomorrow morning. Destination is Old Orchard Beach Maine with the obvious shopping excursions included. We're there for a week so hopefully...hopefully we'll get some decent weather.