Local case???? Opinions

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Do you know and understand the difference between a law and a statute?

Blah, Blah, Blah....The question is if someone is driving in a manner that is unsafe to others or infringing on somebody elses rights. Other than that there is no 'law' regarding driving. the rest is statutory and doesn't really carry much weight unless you want to hand over your cash to the govt.

I have many times refused to follow directions of the police in defense of my rights. Now I don't yell and scream at them, I am polite and calm, but I always force them to 1)prove they are actually police and on duty by showing me correct ID and 2) making them cite chapter and verse of the exact law they are trying to use against me. If they do not do both of these things you are not bound to comply with anything they say. I have actually called 911 from my car and said I may have a police impersonator at my car window because an officer refused to show me picture ID. It was quite pleasant to watch his supervisor tear him a new one for not doing it.

Blind obedience is not in our best interest. Know exactly what your rights and their obligations are and you become quite powerful against most minor violations.

Well all the blather above aside. He threatened a Police officer - it was in view of highly credible witnesses - I am sure a few thousand dollars towards an anger manager group for funding may and only may teach him a lesson regarding decorum and not to threaten persons with physical harm.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Well all the blather above aside. He threatened a Police officer - it was in view of highly credible witnesses - I am sure a few thousand dollars towards an anger manager group for funding may and only may teach him a lesson regarding decorum and not to threaten persons with physical harm.
I agree. While I have no problem in standing up for my rights and forcing police and govt agents to comply with their own laws I am never mean or ignorant about it and I don't get pepper-sprayed or jailed for it either.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I agree. While I have no problem in standing up for my rights and forcing police and govt agents to comply with their own laws I am never mean or ignorant about it and I don't get pepper-sprayed or jailed for it either.

And that is why i referred to it as blather - not to insult but to bring it to your attention that it was off topic. He threatened a Police office with bodily harm - He needs to learn that is not tolerated in a western democracy - I am basing that upon he being a recent immigrant, and on that I may be in error. Regardless if he has been in Canada for quite some time, or born and raised here the same would still apply.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Oh, I forgot for a moment that cops are deities that should be respected and worshiped at all times.

You need to separate disrespect from failure to comply & utter threats, disrespecting a cop isn't a crime.

Allow me to rephrase then: Failure to comply and uttering threats, WHICH IS BOTH A CRIME AND DISRESPECTFUL, deserves no mercy.

Police officers are not deities who should be worshiped but they should be respected at all times. If you want to be disrespectful, don't cry when you're put in your place.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Police officers are not deities who should be worshiped but they should be respected at all times. If you want to be disrespectful, don't cry when you're put in your place.

Respect is a mutual thing, they need to earn just as much as I.

Would you be respectful to a cop after he busts you and your stash then gives you the obligatory cavity search? I bet you would have a **** eating grin on your face, wouldn't ya? It's about respect, smile while you're f*cked.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
And that is why i referred to it as blather - not to insult but to bring it to your attention that it was off topic. He threatened a Police office with bodily harm - He needs to learn that is not tolerated in a western democracy - I am basing that upon he being a recent immigrant, and on that I may be in error. Regardless if he has been in Canada for quite some time, or born and raised here the same would still apply.

No insult taken. I have quite often shown them more respect than I recieved in return. It keeps me on the high ground if anything should ever arise and I can look myself in the mirror.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No insult taken. I have quite often shown them more respect than I recieved in return. It keeps me on the high ground if anything should ever arise and I can look myself in the mirror.

I have been shall we say stopped by the police from an early age on wards. not once did i run into any that were not professional. And that included on a few occasions being in places where drug busts went down.

True243

Jan 6, 2015
I have been shall we say stopped by the police from an early age on wards. not once did i run into any that were not professional. And that included on a few occasions being in places where drug busts went down.
By the way the officer was a racist and always picking on the young fellow he did not ask for his documents instead he told him right away he is going to jail and tried to pull him out of the window of his car for speeding and always pulled him over when he saw his car handing him tickets and trying to harass him

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Musta just got out....

The Wolf!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The guy was being a douche, but calling for extended jail time is stupid. Just slap him with a small fine and be done with it. Since when have police officers become too pussified to handle people like this?

It was done in Court- Judges Rule.