Listening equipment 'will record conversations' at Canadian airports

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA - Airports and border crossings across Canada are being wired with high-definition cameras and microphones that can eavesdrop on travellers' conversations, according to the Canada Border Services Agency.

A CBSA statement said that audio-video monitoring and recording is already in place at unidentified CBSA sites at airports and border points of entry as part of an effort to enhance "border integrity, infrastructure and asset security and health and safety."

As part of the work, the agency is introducing audio-monitoring equipment as well.

"It is important to note that even though audio technology is installed, no audio is recorded at this time. It will become functional at a later date," CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey said in a written statement.

But whenever that occurs, the technology, "will record conversations," the agency said in a separate statement in response to questions from the Ottawa Citizen.

more

Listening equipment 'will record conversations' at Canadian airports: CBSA

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
They should be putting them in bars,that's where most people,talking about what an arsehole fat steve is,really let their gaurd down.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Real population control won't occur until every child is implanted with a transmitter at birth. This could be legislated through a budget omnibus bill.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
OTTAWA - Airports and border crossings across Canada are being wired with high-definition cameras and microphones that can eavesdrop on travellers' conversations, according to the Canada Border Services Agency.

A CBSA statement said that audio-video monitoring and recording is already in place at unidentified CBSA sites at airports and border points of entry as part of an effort to enhance "border integrity, infrastructure and asset security and health and safety."

As part of the work, the agency is introducing audio-monitoring equipment as well.

"It is important to note that even though audio technology is installed, no audio is recorded at this time. It will become functional at a later date," CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey said in a written statement.

But whenever that occurs, the technology, "will record conversations," the agency said in a separate statement in response to questions from the Ottawa Citizen.

more

Will there be a note indicating conversations are being recorded, or will it be in secret?

If in secret, I'll make sure I joke around with my co-travellers about blowing up planes and hope everyone else does too just to clog up the system.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Will there be a note indicating conversations are being recorded, or will it be in secret?

If in secret, I'll make sure I joke around with my co-travellers about blowing up planes and hope everyone else does too just to clog up the system.

You're not foolin' anyone here Machjo, we all know that you're just looking to get a free prostate exam outta the deal

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You're not foolin' anyone here Machjo, we all know that you're just looking to get a free prostate exam outta the deal

Hmmm... I might have to rethink that.

Do they really want to know what I think of Canadian airlines and the **** services they provide?

Just don't mouth them off using too much violent imagery or you might get a free exam too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Whoever came up with the idea of publicizing it is terminally brain dead! Makes it very easy for nut cases, to take a seat in the airport and cook up some bullsh*t to cause trouble and delay and fear!

Why? he can get it at the doctor's office! :lol:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Whoever came up with the idea of publicizing it is terminally brain dead! Makes it very easy for nut cases, to take a seat in the airport and cook up some bullsh*t to cause trouble and delay and fear!

Why? he can get it at the doctor's office! :lol:

Don't worry, we'll follow suit of our neighbours and make it a crime to even joke about bombs in the airport. Free speech, privacy, what are those?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Don't worry, we'll follow suit of our neighbours and make it a crime to even joke about bombs in the airport. Free speech, privacy, what are those?

What do you mean follow suit? I'm fairly certain you can be charged already and it has been that way for a number of years.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
A whack job creating fear? Not on your life its the government that is creating fear.
The governments have nothing left to offer the people, so they implant fear of
everything. The measure to control fear is security and all you have to do is give
up your freedom to obtain security and we will then serve up the amount of fear
needed for a constant supply of security. We don't need to fear those from other
shores nearly as much as we need to concerned about the actions of our own
government and their interaction with the government to the south of us. The whole
concept of democracy will disappear soon enough that is not fear its an observation.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do terrorists do their planning in the airport? Do they talk about bombs in airports? Really, how is this going to help? What if you're traveling alone? Do you need to start externalizing your mental state so they know you're not thinking about when you're going to blow up the plane?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Do terrorists do their planning in the airport? Do they talk about bombs in airports? Really, how is this going to help? What if you're traveling alone? Do you need to start externalizing your mental state so they know you're not thinking about when you're going to blow up the plane?

They have had mic's suspended from ceilings in Airports for years. Nothing new here, most of the mic's probably don't work anyways.. You only had to look up when your bored in a line up at the airport to see them.
If anybody is planning anything bad, you can be sure they will not be talking English or French. But I guess we would discriminate if we had people with other languages listening in!!!!eh!!
Just say your prayers before you get on a flight, the airport security system is an absolute farce... It's a money making machine !!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Terrorists probably don't but trouble makers likely would! :smile: