Light bulbs.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Water tanks have been glass-lined and insulated for quite a few years now. New HW tanks are better insulated than they were ten or fifteen years ago, but they are still full of 140 degree water and they do give off heat. In the Winter this heat is welcome but in the Summer, if you have air conditioning, it adds to the cooling load.
I have never felt any heat coming from our HW tank. Just to prove myself right, before I posted I went and held my hands on the tank. There is zero heat coming from it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yup. But wouldn't you rather have your clothes dryer drying your clothes more efficiently? Wouldn't you rather have a light bulb producing more light? Leave the heating up to those things that are meant for heating and let light bulbs light, etc. As soon as you have various things multifunctioning, they lose efficiency and it costs you more in energy.
Go for a bicycle ride and you have pretty good efficiency. Load up your bicycle with something, use the same route, same speed, you lose efficiency because you have to add more energy in order to get the same amount done with the bike.
You get a new car and go for rides. Get a trailer so you can use the car to tote stuff around and you have to add more fuel to go the same places.

Go teach your grandmother to suck eggs. You are beating a dead horse. Certainly we want our appliances to be as efficient as possible. I worked in this field for thirty five years and I don't know what you mean by multifuntioning. Anything like a HW tank that produces heat inside the house is helping the furnace in the heating season but that appliance was not designed to heat your house.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Go teach your grandmother to suck eggs.
Grow up.
You are beating a dead horse. Certainly we want our appliances to be as efficient as possible. I worked in this field for thirty five years and I don't know what you mean by multifuntioning. Anything like a HW tank that produces heat inside the house is helping the furnace in the heating season but that appliance was not designed to heat your house.
Multifunctioning is when you have things like light bulbs doing things other than lighting, using your screwdriver as a prybar or chisel, etc.
Yes, your tank emits heat when it heats your hot water, but the more it heats the surrounding air, the longer it takes to heat your water.
Inefficiency = more money spent is all I am trying to say.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Grow up.Multifunctioning is when you have things like light bulbs doing things other than lighting, using your screwdriver as a prybar or chisel, etc.
Yes, your tank emits heat when it heats your hot water, but the more it heats the surrounding air, the longer it takes to heat your water.
Inefficiency = more money spent is all I am trying to say.

What are you talking about? Light bulbs will always produce heat.....It is the nature of the beast. Newer light bulbs produce more light and less heat but the heat component will be there for the foreseeable future.

Light bulbs would not be used for anything but lighting even though they do produce a measurable amount of heat.

People will wrap their HW tanks with insulation in hopes of making it more efficient. With modern, better insulated, HW tanks this is probably a waste of time.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
WatEVER.

Anyway, if some of the rest of you folks want to use inefficient things in your homes, that's fine, keep using incandescent bulbs and uninsulated water heaters, etc. You'll be wasting money on energy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
WatEVER.

Anyway, if some of the rest of you folks want to use inefficient things in your homes, that's fine, keep using incandescent bulbs and uninsulated water heaters, etc. You'll be wasting money on energy.
What she said.

Instead of beating horses and sucking eggs. Beat the eggs and make a merangue.