Sorry, it reminded me of morse code.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Letters to the Editor by people who know best..

Liberal attack ad 'beneath contempt'
National Post
Published: Thursday, January 12, 2006
Re: Liberals Launch Attack, Jan. 11.

I am a retired Canadian soldier who was stationed in several Canadian cities during my 25 years of service. I was a soldier with a gun, which I carried during the FLQ crisis in Quebec. I recall how well-received we were. Montrealers were glad we were there to bring some stability and safety during a very scary time. And if I recall correctly, it was a Liberal prime minister named Trudeau who sent all these soldiers with guns into Quebec's major cities.

The Liberal attack ad -- which implies that Canadian soldiers are somehow a threat to our fellow citizens -- is beneath contempt. The Liberal Party of Canada owes every Canadian serving in our military an apology.

Roy Shaver, Warrant Officer (ret'd), Wasaga Beach, Ont.

source

=====================================
attack ad 'beneath contempt'
National Post
I have never been so insulted and enraged in my life as when I saw the new Liberal attack ad decrying the thought of soldiers being posted to cities. I have served this country as a soldier proudly for 14 years. I have put my life on the line and missed out on the births of my two daughters in two separate tours to Bosnia. I have come to the aid of my fellow citizens in operations for flood relief in 1996, and 1997, and the ice storm in Quebec and Ontario in 1998.

I still serve, and I would still willingly sacrifice my life to preserve the country that I love and cherish. But the Liberal party is now suggesting that I should have no pride in my profession; that there is something sinister about the profession of arms. In a Liberal-Canada, soldiers like me have no place in cities. We need to be hidden away in the hinterlands where we can more easily be ignored. Is that the thanks I and my family get for the sacrifices we've made to serve this country? Do I no longer have the right to hold my head high and tell people that I am a soldier?

Patrick Twomey, Shilo, Man.

source

===========================================

attack ad 'beneath contempt'
National Post
In my 11 years of service as a military officer I have made numerous sacrifices for Canada. Until now, I always thought those in power had at least a degree of respect for those sacrifices.

But on Tuesday evening I saw an election advertisement by a political party that shattered this illusion. I would never consent to be a part of some kind of overthrow of Canadian democracy, and I can say with full confidence that all of my peers feel the same way. To imply otherwise, as did the advertisement, is not only deeply insulting to me as someone who has contributed a great deal of his life to defending Canada, but to previous generations of Canadians who did the same.

And now I have to provide leadership to soldiers who were hurt by this ad. I intend to stand in front of the men and women who serve under me and reassure them that their sacrifices are appreciated -- that what they do is held in high esteem by Canadians. I will try my best to have them put their self-doubt aside, and carry on with the task at hand. However, as one of their leaders it would be negligent of me to not make known to your readers the damage this ad has caused to the morale of those who protect this country's interests.

I am writing this letter as a private citizen who also happens to serve in the Canadian Forces. As a private citizen, I ask Paul Martin to apologize for this ad. And I accept the consequences of anyone, including my superiors, feeling differently.

Andrew James Duncan, Ottawa.
source