DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Blah, Blah, Blah.

You lived in Toronto.
I lived in Toronto.
I did this and you did that.

The Layton's scored a fantastic deal in a heavily subsidized complex.
Bottom line is, most unconnected folks have a better shot at winning the lottery than scoring a place like that for the price that they paid.

The proof is in the pudding DD.
Once it hit the press everyone in the GTA knew the deal stunk to high heaven.
Once exposed they shot out of that cosy little pad like roaches exposed to sunlight.
There was no fighting the good fight or taking the high road.
They bolted instantly and did the usual political damage control thing.
It was obvious to all who are familiar with rentals in TO ( perhaps exempting you) that they were paying far, far under market.
Big deal.
It's not like the Dippers hold the record for rooting around in the public purse.
Politicians of all stripes do it.
Must of us tend to expect it these days.

And as for your cheap genealogical shots.
Perhaps your just a tad envious that Sara has a bigger set of stones than you will ever possess?
But thats about you and your issues with Sara.

Me, I was discussing Jack.

Trex

No point trying to discuss this with you seeing as you haven't a clue about mixed income buildings work. I'll let wikipedia explain for you:

Layton and Chow were also the subject of some dispute when a June 14, 1990 Toronto Star article by Tom Kerr accused them of unfairly living in a housing cooperative subsidized by the federal government, despite their high income.[17] Layton and Chow had both lived in the Hazelburn Co-op since 1985, and lived together in an $800 per month three-bedroom apartment after their marriage in 1988. By 1990, their combined annual income was $120,000, and in March of that year they began voluntarily paying an additional $325 per month to offset their share of the co-op's Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation subsidy, the only members of the co-op to do so. In response to the article, the co-op's board argued that having mixed-income tenants was crucial to the success of co-ops, and that the laws deliberately set aside apartments for those willing to pay market rates, such as Layton and Chow.[18] During the late 1980s and early 1990s they maintained approximately 30% of their units as low income units and provided the rest at what they considered market rent. In June 1990, the city's solicitor cleared the couple of any wrong-doing[19], and later that month, Layton and Chow left the co-op and bought a house in Toronto's Chinatown together with Chow's mother, a move they said had been planned for some time.[20] Former Toronto mayor John Sewell later wrote in NOW Magazine that rival Toronto city councillor Tom Jakobek had given the story to Tom Kerr.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
No point trying to discuss this with you seeing as you haven't a clue about mixed income buildings work. I'll let wikipedia explain for you:

Layton and Chow were also the subject of some dispute when a June 14, 1990 Toronto Star article by Tom Kerr accused them of unfairly living in a housing cooperative subsidized by the federal government, despite their high income.[17] Layton and Chow had both lived in the Hazelburn Co-op since 1985, and lived together in an $800 per month three-bedroom apartment after their marriage in 1988. By 1990, their combined annual income was $120,000, and in March of that year they began voluntarily paying an additional $325 per month to offset their share of the co-op's Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation subsidy, the only members of the co-op to do so. In response to the article, the co-op's board argued that having mixed-income tenants was crucial to the success of co-ops, and that the laws deliberately set aside apartments for those willing to pay market rates, such as Layton and Chow.[18] During the late 1980s and early 1990s they maintained approximately 30% of their units as low income units and provided the rest at what they considered market rent. In June 1990, the city's solicitor cleared the couple of any wrong-doing[19], and later that month, Layton and Chow left the co-op and bought a house in Toronto's Chinatown together with Chow's mother, a move they said had been planned for some time.[20] Former Toronto mayor John Sewell later wrote in NOW Magazine that rival Toronto City councillor Tom Jakobek had given the story to Tom Kerr.

The Wikipedia posting as biased as it is makes my point.
I believe others here are fully capable of reading it and forming their own opinions.

As I see it they lived in subsidized housing that was made available to a select few in the know.
None of the people I presently know in downtown TO are being offered fixed rent three bedrooms for $800/month.
The Layton's prior high income is undisputed ($120,00).
They lived in a primarily government subsidized complex in three bedroom downtown apartment for $800/month for several years.

A couple of months before the story broke in the indisputably left wing sympathizing Toronto Star the Layton's were made well aware of the growing public and newspapers growing interest in their firm attachment to the public teat.
They "voluntarily" coughed up another $325 a month at the insistence of their well paid spin doctors and media handlers.
They rapidly packed up and bolted from an unethical and unspinnable situation.
Yes, it was legal.
Yes subsidized housing complexes do rent some apartments to people without low income status.
Yes in the Layton's case it really does smell bad.

So Taliban Jack and Olly are just as greedy and self serving as any other politician.
What a shocker that is.

Different party same old story.
Same apologist drones.

Trex

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The Wikipedia posting as biased as it is makes my point.
I believe others here are fully capable of reading it and forming their own opinions.

As I see it they lived in subsidized housing that was made available to a select few in the know.
None of the people I presently know in downtown TO are being offered fixed rent three bedrooms for $800/month.
The Layton's prior high income is undisputed ($120,00).
They lived in a primarily government subsidized complex in three bedroom downtown apartment for $800/month for several years.

A couple of months before the story broke in the indisputably left wing sympathizing Toronto Star the Layton's were made well aware of the growing public and newspapers growing interest in their firm attachment to the public teat.
They "voluntarily" coughed up another $325 a month at the insistence of their well paid spin doctors and media handlers.
They rapidly packed up and bolted from an unethical and unspinnable situation.
Yes, it was legal.
Yes subsidized housing complexes do rent some apartments to people without low income status.
Yes in the Layton's case it really does smell bad.

So Taliban Jack and Olly are just as greedy and self serving as any other politician.
What a shocker that is.

Different party same old story.
Same apologist drones.

Trex

This was between 1985-1990, Trex. Obviously you are not going to be able to get an apartment for for $800.00 in todays market.

I don't like Layton anymore then the rest of them but this whole "scandal" never really was one.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Did anyone else notice that I apparently do not not know the difference between gynecology and genealogy?

Luckily my procreating days are over.
I think.

Trex

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Did anyone else notice that I apparently do not not know the difference between gynecology and genealogy?

Luckily my procreating days are over.
I think.

Trex

haha. I noticed that and was wondering what you meant.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
These are not war resisters that are being deported. They are deserters. Not the same thing as the US is now a volunteer force. They joined the armed forces knowing they could be sent to a war zone. It has nothing to do with wether they consider the war just or not.

They would be deserters if the Iraq war was a just war, or we were told the truth regarding why the US invaded Iraq.

The American government lied about their motivation for starting a war with Iraq. All justifications for the Iraq war have been proven false. We were manipulated with misinformation. People who signed up to defend their country, did not sign up to commit war crimes or help American oil companies steal oil from Iraq. Effectively US service men and women in Iraq aren't defending the US, but in reality are just low paid mercenaries risking their asses for Haliburton's bottom line.

Saying I was "just following orders" is no defence to war crimes.

So yes, leaving the US military to avoid committing war crimes in Iraq is completely legal according to international law and Canada. These Americans are legitimate refugees according to international laws and treaties.

Anyone who defends this war based on any of the original justifications has no credibility in my eyes.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
What was their income in 1985 when they moved in? I bet they qualified at the time. Its possible they found themselves in this situation and were too busy to contemplate moving.