Lawyer suggests anti-Muslim speech can be punished

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
If they were sucessful with this arguement in Tennessee I don't see how that wouldn't apply to criticizing all and all spiritual beliefs/religions which of course would have detrimental effects on the Seperation of Church and State concept, allthough is pretty much ignored by the christians anyways.........

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Let's not confuse a few things here. where does the New Testament approve of racism, imperialism, or Indian residential Schools. Yes, musch of this was doen in teh name of Christ, just as much terrorism is committed in the name of God, but you can't blame the founder for the acts of his followers. Judge Jesus on his own words and actions.

And just to clarify, I don't profess the Christian Faith myself.
I was talking about so called christians not Jesus. If you read the new testament you would see that Jesus was against religion. He said the kingdom is within, not in a church.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
Colpy: Modern democracy sprang from Christian, Deist philosophy.

I thought democracy came from Greece - centuries before Europe ever heard of Christianity. " Modern" democracy (still a work in progress) is revival of classical democracy - which couldn't have happened until after Europe and its colonies had begun to fight free of monarchy and the Holy Roman Church. Secular government became a possibility only after state religions were divested of their over-weaning power.

While a great many religious people have always been suspicious of one another, we had a reasonably tolerant society through most of the 20th century. The present conflicts are not caused by religion - they're caused by wars, imperialism, greed, displaced populations, poverty, injustice, fear, induced paranoia, the exploitation of renecks and brownnecks for political gain, bad diplomacy - they are caused really, grievously bad governance.

How's about we stop hurling invective at people we've never even met, and deal with only what a particular person has actually done that was illegal, harmful or ill-mannered?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Certainly its spiritual teachings, which are identical to those of Islam, undoubtedly contributed to the foundation of democracy. What I can say though is that in general it woudl appear that Christians did a better job of putting the teachings of the gospel into practice than Muslims did the Qur'an and the Ahadith.
Like I said to another poster, "Whoever taught you should give you your money back."

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
For that matter, the Jewish and Christian religions are frauds, made up as they were from remnants of several older religious beliefs, including Sumerian, Egyptian, Babylonian and possibly Hindu. Mohammed borrowed heavily from the old testament. When it comes down to it, all religions are not compatible with freedom or democracy.

Then there are the Mormons. It really amazes me that that one took off when it is so obviously started by a con-man who was known as such when he was alive.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy, that is so far off the mark................."Christianity is only about 50 years ahead of Muslims in their attitudes toward women......"

Really????
Where is the freedom in needing a Lord and Master? You are either self sufficient spiritually or you need an overlord. Where does religion fit into that picture?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Where is the freedom in needing a Lord and Master? You are either self sufficient spiritually or you need an overlord. Where does religion fit into that picture?

Gotta be someone in charge ya know.:smile::smile::smile:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Gotta be someone in charge ya know.:smile::smile::smile:
Maybe in the military. I don't need anybody telling what to do or how to think or how to relate to my creator. I don't need a guide book or any authority over me. I know right from wrong.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Can We All Just Get Along? For The Kids & Old People? RODNEY KING SPEAKS! - YouTube

There are two places in this world you don't care what color, nationality or religion the other person is..

Here...

..and here.

Life is to dame short.. seriously, we need to try and get along and be part of the "human race."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A U.S. attorney in Tennessee is reportedly vowing to use federal civil rights statutes to clamp down on offensive and inflammatory speech about Islam.

Bill Killian, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, was quoted by the Tullahoma News this week suggesting that some inflammatory material on Islam might run afoul of federal civil rights laws.

"We need to educate people about Muslims and their civil rights, and as long as we’re here, they’re going to be protected," Killian told the newspaper.

Killian, along with the FBI special agent that runs the Knoxville office, are set to speak next week to a special meeting with the local Muslim community, informing them about their rights under federal law.

"This is an educational effort with civil rights laws as they play into freedom of religion and exercising freedom of religion," Killian said about the meeting. "This is also to inform the public what federal laws are in effect and what the consequences are."

more

Tullahoma News - Motlow, George Dickel, Manchester, Bonnaroo, Coffee County, Winchester, Monteagle, Tims Ford, Beechcraft, Lynchburg, Exchange, A.E.D.C.

Meanwhile it's perfectly OK to blow up planes, buildings and vehicles with people in them!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Maybe in the military. I don't need anybody telling what to do or how to think or how to relate to my creator. I don't need a guide book or any authority over me. I know right from wrong.

Nope- Every religion has a hierarchy. Standard operating procedure.

Are you sure? The Spastics will differ with you on that one.

Nope, it's not OK and It's not exclusive to Muzzies but some figger "other than Muzzie" groups should get a pass.

Only the details differ on why Jews were targeted and why now Muslims can be.
But there are Imams that are radicals and these critters should be sent, return postage paid. Not needed at this address.
And yes many in the Muslim community are against terror and the media only pays lip service to these. The radicals get much more coverage, increasing their stature within the radical community.