Killer Snake proves lethal!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
What a stupid comment by the store owner. Of course more people are killed by dogs (in Canada) than snakes because we don't have killer snakes as a natural animal.........

Lisa Janes is a co-owner and curator of Little Ray's Reptile Zoo, a private zoo and education program in Ontario and the Maritimes.
"We were absolutely shocked and saddened," she said Monday afternoon. "Our condolences go out to the family."

She pointed out that more people are killed by dogs than by snakes

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What a stupid comment by the store owner. Of course more people are killed by dogs (in Canada) than snakes because we don't have killer snakes as a natural animal.........

The Hangem high Brigade is out and got the rope and alookin for a tree.
I am listening to CBC, Lisa the commentator made the remark as far as I can tell. The exact words posted.
Is there a link to the store owner making this remark?

Do some FFN research
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/08/05/nb-two-die-boa-attack.html
"This is a tragedy," said Deputy Mayor Ian Comeau. "The city is in shock."

Lisa Janes is a co-owner and curator of Little Ray's Reptile Zoo, a private zoo and education program in Ontario and the Maritimes.

"We were absolutely shocked and saddened," she said Monday afternoon. "Our condolences go out to the family."

She regularly handles exotic snakes and says they can be aggressive, but it's usually for one of two reasons: "They bite because they're feeling scared or threatened, or because they smell food."

Janes said snakes don't usually see humans as food. In the New Brunswick tragedy, she said they could have been startled, or smelled something else that was a regular food source in the room.

She pointed out that more people are killed by dogs than by snakes.

Last edited:

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
More info is needed here. I cannot imagine the snake killing two children and not even trying to eat one, among other things.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Hangem high Brigade is out and got the rope and alookin for a tree.
I am listening to CBC, Lisa the commentator made the remark as far as I can tell. The exact words posted.
Is there a link to the store owner making this remark?

Do some FFN research
Snake kills 2 N.B. boys after escaping store, RCMP say - New Brunswick - CBC News
"This is a tragedy," said Deputy Mayor Ian Comeau. "The city is in shock."

She regularly handles exotic snakes and says they can be aggressive, but it's usually for one of two reasons: "They bite because they're feeling scared or threatened, or because they smell food."

Janes said snakes don't usually see humans as food. In the New Brunswick tragedy, she said they could have been startled, or smelled something else that was a regular food source in the room.

She pointed out that more people are killed by dogs than by snakes.

Okay I'm not sure what you mean by the "Hangem high Brigade" but I was just saying that the comment she made in the original article on top of this page, was stupid.

And for those who didn't read the article the 2 boys were visiting the apt., and did not live there.............

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Okay I'm not sure what you mean by the "Hangem high Brigade" but I was just saying that the comment she made in the original article on top of this page, was stupid.

And for those who didn't read the article the 2 boys were visiting the apt., and did not live there.............
Hangem High Brigade- Works on few facts and quick to judge.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
You are confusing me. What more facts would one need than what she was quoted as saying?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
REALLY? A snake had time to strangle two kids to death?

Sounds sketchy to me.

Are you thinking perhaps, someone strangled the kids, turned the snake loose and then blamed in on the snake? Actually that COULD be a distinct possibility as the snake could only kill one at a time meantime the other kid would likely be screaming and running.

The autopsy will sort that out pretty fast.

Last edited:

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
A 14 ft Python strangled its owner out here. He was going to feed it a dead rat he had just purchased. In a feeding frenzy the snake had it done before a fire engine located four blocks away could arrive.When in that mode they are a force to be reconed with.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Cops have now launched a criminal investigation so obviously "something is rotten in Denmark"!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That proprietor could be in deep sh*t. That particular snake is persona non grata in N.B.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Are you thinking perhaps, someone strangled the kids, turned the snake loose and then blamed in on the snake? Actually that COULD be a distinct possibility as the snake could only kill one at a time meantime the other kid would likely be screaming and running.

The autopsy will sort that out pretty fast.
don't know really what I think except that it sounds sketchy... the snake escaped and supposedly ended up in a bedroom where the two guests were sleeping, two kids would be hard to kill, so something isn't right here... I don't know what but something is amiss with the story.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
don't know really what I think except that it sounds sketchy... the snake escaped and supposedly ended up in a bedroom where the two guests were sleeping, two kids would be hard to kill, so something isn't right here... I don't know what but something is amiss with the story.

I know what I think for sure. Wild animals belong in the wild and should stay in the wild.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Here's more info with some interesting questions by snake experts such as:

"It’s strange, I’m just trying to piece it together,” says Lee Parker, the facilities manager at Ontario reptile zoo Reptilia. “They don't go on killing sprees … it doesn't make sense to me."
Jeff Reynolds, manager at the Reptile Store in Hamilton, says: "The [African rock python] is not overly aggressive, not any more aggressive than your larger-type snake. I find it very bizarre that it would attack two [kids]."
Such deadly attacks aren’t unheard of, but are rare.
The last attack on a human by an African rock python was in 2002, when it killed and swallowed a 10-year-old boy in Durban, South Africa.

Python killing of 2 New Brunswick boys baffles experts - Canada - CBC News

I know what I think for sure. Wild animals belong in the wild and should stay in the wild.
while what you are saying is true, I am holding my conclusions...this never sounded right from the get go...something is wrong...the snake kills to eat...if it killed the one kid it should have begun to eat...it doesn't say that it did that...doesn't mean that it didn't but still we just don't know yet.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

"It’s strange, I’m just trying to piece it together,” says Lee Parker, the facilities manager at Ontario reptile zoo Reptilia. “They don't go on killing sprees … it doesn't make sense to me."
Jeff Reynolds, manager at the Reptile Store in Hamilton, says: "The [African rock python] is not overly aggressive, not any more aggressive than your larger-type snake. I find it very bizarre that it would attack two [kids]."
The last attack on a human by an African rock python was in 2002, when it killed and swallowed a 10-year-old boy in Durban, South Africa.

while what you are saying is true, I am holding my conclusions...this never sounded right from the get go...something is wrong...the snake kills to eat...if it killed the one kid it should have begun to eat...it doesn't say that it did that...doesn't mean that it didn't but still we just don't know yet.

Yep. And I'm not the least baffled as I'm no expert. I think the dude is sh!tting himself awaiting the autopsies on these two young victims.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Like you I couldn't guess for sure what happened, BUT if I was the cops I wouldn't let any adult who occupied the building out of my sight, especially ones who might have ideas of emigrating!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yep. And I'm not the least baffled as I'm no expert. I think the dude is sh!tting himself awaiting the autopsies on these two young victims.
I sure would be, he must be sick with worry. Notice they have yet to say who owns the apartment, why were the kids visiting and staying overnight, when did the snake escape how did it travel that far unnoticed... wtf?

Like you I couldn't guess for sure what happened, BUT if I was the cops I wouldn't let any adult who occupied the building out of my sight, especially ones who might have ideas of emigrating!
they have been very closed mouth about details of any kind.

Also when I listened to the news clip the commentator is saying the kids where strangled to death by the snake and she know no such thing and that is sensationalistic, shoddy journalism at best.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I sure would be, he must be sick with worry. Notice they have yet to say who owns the apartment, why were the kids visiting and staying overnight, when did the snake escape how did it travel that far unnoticed... wtf?

they have been very closed mouth about details of any kind.

Also when I listened to the news clip the commentator is saying the kids where strangled to death by the snake and she know no such thing and that is sensationalistic, shoddy journalism at best.

I hear you Sal, but I suppose that is the story they have to go with until there is confirmed evidence otherwise. To cast any aspersions on any people at this point might backfire. Best just to keep a close eye on them and confine their roaming area to a 50 metre radius.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
New Brunswick boys died of asphyxiation: Autopsy

By QMI Agency

Connor Barthe, 6, and Noah Barthe, 4, were found dead Monday, Aug. 5, 2013, in Campbellton, N.B. It's believe they were killed by an African rock python. Facebook/QMI Agency

Two New Brunswick boys killed by a friend's pet python died from asphyxiation, preliminary autopsy results show.
The RCMP released the preliminary autopsy findings for Noah Barthe, 4, and his brother Connor, 6, Wednesday afternoon with the cause of death. An RCMP press release states investigators are still waiting on information from the final autopsy report.
It's believed the boys were strangled by the African rock python during a sleepover.
The boys were found dead Monday morning in a Campbellton, N.B., apartment above the pet store Reptile Ocean after an African rock python escaped from its enclosure, went through the ventilation system and into the living room where the boys were sleeping.
The snake belonged to Reptile Ocean owner Jean-Claude Savoie, but was housed in the apartment, not the store beneath.
The 45-kg snake has been euthanized and the initial necropsy of the snake showed it was in overall good health, the RCMP said, adding it will take some time before the final report is released.

A vigil will be held Wednesday night in Campbellton at 8 p.m. at Salmon Plaza, city official Jean Louis Giroux said.
Teddy bears and candles in memory of the boys have been placed across the street from the apartment where they died.
The boys' great-uncle, Dave Rose, told reporters Tuesday Noah and Connor "enjoyed life to the fullest."
The children had been at a petting zoo the night before and snake expert, Bry Loyst, who is assisting police with the investigation, believes the snake may have been attracted by the scent of the animals.
He also said police told him the snake had escaped from its enclosure and into the ventilation system before.
The python that killed the children is illegal in New Brunswick unless the owner has a permit. But permits are never issued to keep an illegal exotic animal as a pet, the department of natural resources said Tuesday. The penalty is up to a $300 fine.
Loyst, curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo near Peterborough, Ont., believes lax laws are to blame for the tragedy.
Donations to assist with the funeral expenses of Noah and Connor can be made at any TD Canada Trust. The branch number is 4857 and the account number is 6313489.
Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

New Brunswick boys died of asphyxiation: Autopsy - Canada - Canoe.ca