Kid responsible for Adult's carelessness??

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hard to pass on the blame here.

On the one hand, if the bus driver did indeed secure the bus taking reasonable precautions (I'l give the benefit of the doubt on this one based on the information presented, of course), then I don't think he's at fault.

As for the kid, he did commit the act, but how responsible can he be at the age of eight. Parents? Well, they might be partially responsible, but again, there are limits to just how much parents can control a child. But since he is under their responsibility until the age of maturity, I suppose the parents could be held responsible. It's clearly not a case of intentional murder, however, and so I suppose financial compensation might be an approapriate charge against the parents (civil case?).

Looking at it that way, I'd conclude that financial compensation on the part of the boy's parents to the girl's parents would be the most approapriate charge.

Kodiak

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
Nanaimo
Who is to blame is not the question. As an eight year old child I would have never have thought to sneak on a bus for any reason, let alone playing with the mechanics of a bus. Why is it we are trying to find blame? It is a much larger picture. Go ahead and do anything you want and we will find someone else to blame for your actions, please under no circumstance take any responsilbity for your actions because we can blame the bus driver, your parents, oh what the heck, the crazy person you encountered last week. Oh and by the way if you happen to maim, injure or kill anyone don't be concerned because we are sure we will be able to make someone else take the blame. We as a society (and more importantly as families) are failing to teach one of life's more important lessons "TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF".
I had a much longer rant and decided to delete (oh one day o'forum friends I will let loose). And by the way if any one wants to experience total disrespect for another person go to your local elementary (or high school) during a class change and stand in the hall as the throngs go throught you with no regard and respect.(Sorry this more ranting, I do tend to go off). And by the way as the bus driver I would never have thought that I would have to guard my school bus against eight year old children.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Lineman
all the machinery must be in secure position, whether they are running or not.

"Unloaded gun shoots once in a life." This said because no one has to point unloaded gun to someone to play.

With the brake the same thing. Your car's brake doesn't work once in a life time. That's what I was told, when I was studing in driving school. One has to make sure car is in secure position in any case.

If everything is normal no one to blame because nothing wrong happens. If someone makes a sh*t out of something, someone is (else) blamed.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Re: RE: Kid responsible for Adult's carelessness??

Kodiak said:
Who is to blame is not the question. As an eight year old child I would have never have thought to sneak on a bus for any reason, let alone playing with the mechanics of a bus. Why is it we are trying to find blame? It is a much larger picture. Go ahead and do anything you want and we will find someone else to blame for your actions, please under no circumstance take any responsilbity for your actions because we can blame the bus driver, your parents, oh what the heck, the crazy person you encountered last week. Oh and by the way if you happen to maim, injure or kill anyone don't be concerned because we are sure we will be able to make someone else take the blame. We as a society (and more importantly as families) are failing to teach one of life's more important lessons "TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF".
I had a much longer rant and decided to delete (oh one day o'forum friends I will let loose). And by the way if any one wants to experience total disrespect for another person go to your local elementary (or high school) during a class change and stand in the hall as the throngs go throught you with no regard and respect.(Sorry this more ranting, I do tend to go off). And by the way as the bus driver I would never have thought that I would have to guard my school bus against eight year old children.

Agreed and well said!

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
This is a horrid story, but here's my take if you're interested.

This is why they are called children and not adults. It is our job to protect them from harm. Yes, that means if someone else's child is here, my knives are out of his reach. That means I lock my car doors so that no one can get in. Remember the saying "It takes a village to raise a child?" The 8 year old should have been supervised as proper for a child his age. Him and one buddy should not have been alone in Brooklyn, an adult, a teen, someone should have been with them. I certainly believe that without supervision an eight year old could burn down a 20 story building, but an adult would have to leave a lighter around. That's one of the reasons I keep an eye on my kids, cause YOU CAN'T TRUST THEM. Kids are blank slates, they don't know anything until you teach them.

I blame the boys' parents, because they should have been watching them.