Kevin O'Leary at gun range as funerals for shooting victims begins

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Political positions/ Economy and Trade:

O'Leary supports free trade agreements such as the North American Free Trade Agreement. He described hypothetical trade negotiations between Donald Trump and Justin Trudeau as "Godzilla versus Bambi".[96]

O'Leary believes corporate tax rates in Canada are too high, and has promised to eliminate the national carbon tax.[97] O'Leary has threatened to punish provinces by withholding transfer payments if they do not eliminate their respective carbon taxes.[97]

O'Leary is a critic of deficit spending and supports eliminating the national debt.[98]

O'Leary opposes control of the CRTC over Canada's telecommunications system.[99]

Energy
O'Leary supports building a pipeline from the Athabasca oil sands to Eastern Canada with the intentions of making Canada "energy independent". He has criticized Canada's reliance on Saudi Arabia for oil and gas.[100] He has stated he would support a national referendum on the issue of pipelines.[101]

Social
O'Leary describes his social policies as "very liberal". He supports same-sex marriage and transgender rights.[102]

O'Leary supports the legalization and regulation of marijuana.[99]

O'Leary supports assisted suicide and cited Switzerland as a model for Canada to follow.[103]

Foreign and military policy
O'Leary supported ending Canadian airstrikes on ISIS and supports taking a peacekeeping role in the Syrian Civil War.[104]

O'Leary described Russia as "neither an ally or a foe" in an interview with the CBC.[105]

O'Leary has criticized Justin Trudeau's procurement plan. He supports purchasing aerial combat drones to defend the Canadian border and supports phasing out use of the Lockheed CP-140 Aurora citing cost reasons.[102]

O'Leary has criticized the lack of funding of the Canadian Armed Forces and supports spending the NATO recommended 2% of GDP on military expenditures.[102][106]

Immigration
As cited in an Opinion Piece by Chris Young, O'Leary believes that Canada has no major immigration problems. He opposes the policy proposal of screening immigrants with a values test as proposed by Kellie Leitch.[107]

Senate
In a 2017 interview with Evan Solomon, O'Leary suggested that Senators should pay money every year, instead of being paid, thus turning "a cost centre to Canada" into "a profit centre."[108]

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
He supports NAFTA? So he likes the fact were being sued up the butt by American corporations?

I don't think so from the little I've read. More like he supports the principle of unimpeded exchange of goods and services. That being said we all know there are serious flaws in NAFTA. As I have stated elsewhere free trade only works if the partners have roughly the same standard of living or all we are doing is exporting jobs to cheap labour.
That is not to say we cannot have trade agreements with less developed nations. But it makes it harder to make them equitable.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Did anyone in the debates last night even mention the shooting range thing?

I saw no mention of it on the CBC this morning..........and those idiots had been promoting it as an issue for days.

It certainly isn't an issue...........but I'm wondering if it even came up.

The CBC is soooooo out of touch.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This Op Ed: And the issue is ????? Again it's all about nothing. It's laughable if not so sad.