Kentucky senator is claiming 'political privilege' to drop DUI

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There are merits to your argument, I believe however the only accountability the people have at their disposal is the vote.

I get the accountability piece, but I think we have to persevere with the ideal that the rule of law is what holds the courts accountable. Now, I'm not naive, corruption can and does take place under both elected and appointed systems and we could and should do much better at curbing it. But we've built a (court) system around the rule of law, that should be the litmus test in my opinion, not meeting voter's wants and needs.

I'll be honest, when I'm watching TV from the states and I see a campaign ad extolling 'tough on crime', it makes me a bit uneasy. Because that appeals to the emotions of the voting public, and law is (should be) logical and rational first and foremost. If it's felt that the laws fall short of serving the public interest, then write better laws, ones that will withstand the rigorous review of the courts.

That's just my two cents on the subject.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Wow....... you guys sure do have reading comprehension problems first thing in the morning. Did any of ya's actually read the article? I have a feeling the answer is no, ya's all just skimmed through it and then put on your "outrage" hat.

"On Wednesday a judge delayed Smith’s arraignment after his attorney filed this request."

No decisions have been made. Just a delay in arraignment so the judge can take a look at the appropriate law and make a decision based on that law. Unless, of course, you all would prefer to see a knee jerk decision from the judge.