Karla Homolka is a mother...

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, (and if I am I unreservedly appologise) But, didn't they also murder the newborn of one of their victims? I seem to remember something about photographs of victims in a basement... Is this the same case?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, (and if I am I unreservedly appologise) But, didn't they also murder the newborn of one of their victims? I seem to remember something about photographs of victims in a basement... Is this the same case?

Their victims were all young girls ... 14, 15 years old ... from good families. None of them were pregnant or had children. It must be a different case. Their bodies were found dumped or chopped up in little pieces and encased in concrete.

It is important to note that Paul had been peeping and raping women for years prior to meeting Karla but had never committed murder. Also, during his marriage he raped women along lonely dark roads and again, did not murder. The only time he murdered a victim was when he was with Karla. One can only conclude that Karla had something to do with the murders ... not that she was another victim of Paul. Paul, acting alone, left his victims alive.

Perhaps Karla was on to Paul and figured out that he was that Scarsbourough rapist. Rather than turn in her boyfriend (he had already been reported by work colleagues) she wanted to be part of his rape experience. This is a more likely scenario than she was battered into helping Paul.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Thank you Ariadne! And thanks for the excellent summary! It was indeed another case that I was thinking of then! I have so many books on similar crimes, I obviously got confused. Your conclusions do seem plausible.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Thank you Ariadne! And thanks for the excellent summary! It was indeed another case that I was thinking of then! I have so many books on similar crimes, I obviously got confused. Your conclusions do seem plausible.

You're welcome. This crime happened when I was pregnant 11 years ago. I remember this because when I'm pregnant, I'm too emotionally vulnerable, and his case was too much for me to handle. I couldn't watch any news about the missing girls or their familes - it all made me want to toss my cookies. Years later, I wanted to read everything I could in order to try to understand the dynamic of the murderous couple. Paul alone may not have been able to lure the girls into the car, but with Karla dressed to the nines, holding a map, and asking for directions, even the sweetest girls would approach her. The girls pleaded with Karla to let them go but Karla just gave them a stuffed toy and treated them like a plaything. It was her idea to use halothane from the vet clinic, where she worked, to drug her sister, friend and other girls. She thought of young girls as a present she could give to Paul to please him ... this is Karla's idea of being a good wife. Sure Paul beat her towards the end of the marriage ... she was probably driving him nuts with her neediness, manipulation and complete disregard for anyone except herself. He also would have been under a lot of stress over being arrested and realized that the gig was pretty much up even before Karla went to her uncle, a lawyer and then the police.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

You're probably thinking of Charles Ng. He and Leonard Lake committed some gruesome crimes of the sort in the US. Ng crossed the border to Calgary and fought extradition. Even though Canada had a policy not to extradite people faced capital punishment even it relented and sent him off. No punishment would be too much for him.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Oh c'mon now Kreskin would you have been so harsh to judge if Ng had been clever enough to cut a deal with the "Crown" for evidence in some case...that the KeyStone Kops of Niagara Region couln't dind...?

Homolka deserves better than Ng?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
You're probably thinking of Charles Ng. He and Leonard Lake committed some gruesome crimes of the sort in the US. Ng crossed the border to Calgary and fought extradition. Even though Canada had a policy not to extradite people faced capital punishment even it relented and sent him off. No punishment would be too much for him.

Charles Ng was in jail for theft and assaulting (I think he actually shot the guy) a police officer. During his incarceration, he drew pictures of his crimes and shared them with his cellmate. The cellmate died in an accident prior to the trial of Ng in California. I recall that the death penalty was taken off the table and he was quickly whisked out of the country by a waiting plane. Ng is not on death row. Canada, fortunately, holds firm on extraditing people to countries that will murder them unless they promise not to murder them ... seems reasonable and civilized.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Seems ridiculous and impetuous actualy. But hey, if the US dictated to us what we should do, the Liberal world would come to a screaming halt and the shyte would hit the fan.

I would have enjoyed 1 hour with Ng an bottle of vinegar and my skinning knife. His crimes were well worth the death penalty.