Justice minister hints at jail time for pre-teen offenders

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
This is a justice department that does not pursue white collar crime or prosecute corrupt government officials. This is just a continuation of liberal stupidity. Apes could do a better job running Canada.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=6e088111-0b24-4193-9b81-38bfacd9ad49&k=59054

Children aged 10 and 11 who run afoul of the law should be brought before the courts, Justice Minister Vic Toews said Monday in a controversial and surprise proposal to expand the age of criminal responsibility, which currently kicks in at age 12.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
RE: Justice minister hints at jail time for pre-teen offende

Justice is Canada's Achilles heel. They system's broken and yet the country doesn't seem to understand that democracies are created to protect people's rights, not ignore them.
I'd like to see what the current situation is with under 12's. I assume most of the crimes are property crimes. Are owners being compensated by the parents of offending children? If not, why not? You can't expect citizens of a supposedly free country to just 'suck it up' and go on. Children do commit crimes. We need to see how accountability is applied.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

I have voted Conservative the last 3 or 4 federal elections. The anti-everything-but-war-and-terrorism mentality is starting to wear thin on me. Couldn't attend the AIDS conference because Harper was up fighting the Arctic War. Sending 10 and 11 year olds through criminal courts? If this is where we're headed, to neoconservativeville, it'll be tough getting my vote next time.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Justice minister hints at jail time for pre-teen off

Kreskin said:
...Harper was up fighting the Arctic War...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tough guy picking a fight in an empty schoolyard.

"put 'em up! put 'em up!" :lol:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

Why should Harper attend the AIDS conference? Some of the most eminent scientists in the field boycotted it. It was overrun with celebrities and hangers-on.
The YCJA is one more reincarnation of a law that doesn't seem to be working. I just want to see accountability. Go soft on young offenders- fine - but any damages must be paid for by their families. It's not open season on Canadian communities because you're 11 years old.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

tamarin said:
Why should Harper attend the AIDS conference? Some of the most eminent scientists in the field boycotted it. It was overrun with celebrities and hangers-on.
The YCJA is one more reincarnation of a law that doesn't seem to be working. I just want to see accountability. Go soft on young offenders- fine - but any damages must be paid for by their families. It's not open season on Canadian communities because you're 11 years old.

I thought world leaders led the charge in what's important? Exponentionally more people die, and are threatened, by AIDs than terrorism. It irks me that he is turning into a Bush wannabe, scared to show up in case the "just say no" crowd is offended. Lord knows how difficult it is for conservatives to discuss reproductive issues. Perhaps they shouldn't be in power if their religious beliefs get in the way of constructive measures. If he plans to run and duck from things that are actually important then I don't feel he deserves my support. I don't want my taxpaying dollars spent by a Minister sitting around worrying about how to prosecute 10 and 11 year olds when they can't show up to discuss the biggest threat on the planet.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

Aids might be a big threat but it doesn't register large in Canada. There are groups bound and determined that it should. But they can stand in line. Global warming is a far bigger issue for me. As well as the maintenance of biodiversity. Of my top 20 concerns Aids ain't on the ticket. After watching a couple of documentaries on the spread of the disease in Africa and the mindbogglingly cavalier attitude so many have there, carried by CBC earlier this year, I'm surprised it's on anyone's list.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org

tamarin said:

If he has tme to go to hockey games I'm sure he can squeeze in a conference here and there.

P.S. A special thanks to the (Cons)ervatives. I saved nine cents last week in GST!

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled

I say put the bastards in jail while they arre still fetuses- that way when they are born in jail they will know we mean business----I think thats in the bible somewhere

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
RE: Justice minister hint

I'm not champing at the bit to get 10 and 11 year olds charged with offenses and sent to court. But I'm also not enthused with 10 and 11 year olds committing crimes.

If parents won't teach their kids better, maybe having little Johnny appear before a judge and be told his behavior is serious and has consequences, wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

As far as Harper goes, I would have been fine if he attended the AIDS conference. I'm also fine that he was busy elsewhere. He's the Prime Minster. He has a lot of demands on his time. Spending time defending Canada's territory in the Arctic is something that's worthwhile.

Actually developing a strategy to combat AIDS would be more important to me than attending a PR event, anyway.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

No one said we should put 10 and 11 year olds in Jail, At most they would have court ordered supervision.

between the ages of 12-17 generally there is a VERY strong rehabilitation aspect ordered by the judge.

it would be the same with 10-11 year olds, put a little scare in to them, give them a small punishment, and then help them over come their problems.

The same way good parents will discipline their children.

Just gennerally not the ones who have 10-12 year olds commiting violent crimes, sexual assults, and "non-petty" theft.

Personally I think parents should have to share some of the burden of the crime when a child is that young. They have in 99% of the cases done something very wrong in parenting.

A long time ago this used to actually be a law.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: Justice minister hints at jail time for pre-teen offende

Where's this Accountability Act I keep hearing aboot? Nobody in Parliament is tripping over each other trying to pass this legislation, gee I wonder why?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore

What was said is that the act WILL be looked at to see if it is a good idea to lower the age of criminal responsibility. Right now there are 11 and 12 year olds running drugs with gangs. It might be a good idea. Better to discuss this issue than do the usual "the sky is falling" schtick that comes out of the left every time someone comes up with an idea.As for the AIDS conference,The conservatives have pledged to double Canada's contribution over the next two years.Why should Harper show up to be booed by the soft-headed crowd?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I think not said:
Where's this Accountability Act I keep hearing aboot? Nobody in Parliament is tripping over each other trying to pass this legislation, gee I wonder why?
Perhaps because the novelty of the Act has worn off, and everyone realizes it's not worth the two hundred pieces of paper it's written on?

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

yeah Five, that's it big guy, keeeeeep talking.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

Apologies over advisers' trip an 'embarrassment'

Ottawa — When two-high ranking federal advisers left for London in June, the stated purpose was to learn about British experiments in public-private partnerships.

But the outcome was far less clear-cut, leaving officials scrambling with damage control.

"A number of people in London who are important to Canada were not at all pleased," a federal source said of the visit.

In particular, the trip by Public Works advisers David Rotor and Douglas Tipple was marred by a series of cancelled meetings, forcing Canadian diplomats and senior officials to send six letters of apology to their British counterparts.

"I think it's an embarrassment that apologies had to be issued," John Williamson of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation said Tuesday after reading the story published in today's Globe.

"This is not how officials should be behaving and I think it is just a sorry story," he said, noting that the government is "circling the wagons to down play" the report.

There are also questions over the "trip notes" that were circulated by the pair upon their return, given that a large portion of the document was copied from British websites without any attribution. (The government said the document is still a draft, although the copy obtained by The Globe and Mail was not marked as such.) In addition, Mr. Rotor wrote in his post-trip report that he "attended a speech by Laura D. Tyson, Dean of the London Business School, on the convergence of the Canadian, American and English economy."

She made no such speech.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060814.wpublicworks15/BNStory/Front/home

Here we go. A couple of fresh hired Harper flunkies go to London on the government tab. Keep in mind it cost a quarter million to a head hunter firm to find these two prizes. They don’t attend any meetings or any talks. They plagiarize a bunch of content from some internet sites and hand it in as a report.

And our dear Attorney General is going after 10 year olds.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore

If it is true they should be thrown in the hoosegow. It is time ALL politicians were held accountable.Still it should be noted that this has absolutely nothing to do with 10 year-olds.Good try,another red herring that swims counter-clockwise.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

Neither of them were appointed or hired by Harper, in fact both of them were hired by Paul Martin and his Government, MORE mis-information, obviously you enjoy looking ignorant, and childishly biased.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

1, 2, 3, 4 5 6 7 8 9, 10, 15, 20 50 100, 500.

- a running total of people sanch helps convince to vote for the conservatives just by speaking.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

Graeme said:
Neither of them were appointed or hired by Harper, in fact both of them were hired by Paul Martin and his Government, MORE mis-information, obviously you enjoy looking ignorant, and childishly biased.

Harper is PM and he ran on a platform to clean up government. It's his job to monitor the government and they are his flunkies. He's failed and should be removed.

Quite frankly if the best you can do on any issue is say Paul Martin did it then why do we need a conservative government?

Oh I forgot the big conservatives like to carry their arms to hunt down 10 year olds. And then when challenged they call people childish. These policies are barbaric and this idiotic defense of them is inexcusable.

The way to reduce crime is create an anti-gun nation. That is where the real danger is.