Japan - US- West headed for a military confrontation - dispute in the South China Sea

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
We should invade Denmark. I would really like a Danish with my coffee in the morning.
PS
Millions or more dead over uninhabited islands makes the imperialist mindset quivver with anticipation.

...or in this case, a Dragon.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We bought China. Get into that frame of mind and it all makes sense.

Can I have your honest opinion? What do you figure the true reasoning is for claiming the island?

Which Island- and I will try but it may take some time- On vacation.

But tell me why the Chinese are bullying their way into ownership of the South China Sea. Ignoring attempts at negotiations. Look at their claims on the Spratly's and see how close they come to other countries.

And yes you are correct about owning. Owe a million and the banks own you Owe trillions and you own them. The Chinese have increased their long term - multi year - holding of US Treasuries at low rates in the past few years.
Short term debt held by China has been lowered.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
But tell me why the Chinese are bullying their way into ownership of the South China Sea. Ignoring attempts at negotiations. Look at their claims on the Spratly's and see how close they come to other countries.
Until recently they haven't had the physical ability to stand behind their claims or perhaps Japan is upto to their ying yangs in debt with China and have defaulted and now China wants payment in kind rather than cash.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Until recently they haven't had the physical ability to stand behind their claims or perhaps Japan is upto to their ying yangs in debt with China and have defaulted and now China wants payment in kind rather than cash.

True they are flexing - True they are intimidating other countries on the Spratly dispute - changing from a joint discussion with all involved to a one on one.

The Chines Military strategy is one of denial- where the costs become to high for the US. Main reason for all the missiles between China and Taiwan. After the 7th Fleet sailed thru in 95-96 the Chinese lost immense face.
And face is important.

Loosing the Nationalistic mobs can bite the hand that led them.
BBC News - Q&A: China-Japan islands row

Emerging maritime rivalry in The South China Sea: Territorial disputes, sea-lane security, and the pursuit of power

China Takes Aim at U.S. Naval Might - WSJ.com

China

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Funny how in some cases we are right there demanding what ever, until something like
this. We have been building China up for over a decade now, well even longer than ten
years. We did this with Japan just before the last great war, and Germany was allowed
to build to alarming levels despite restrictions placed on it after the first great war.
We call them disputes and banter like nothing is wrong until we build our enemies into a
fighting machine. All of a sudden its time to draw a line in the sand.
I am choked that we buy or sell anything that has anything to do with China because its
only a matter of time before we will be in conflict with them and we built them up to do it.
For a little more profit they can kill my grand kids. That is what happened the last time
and its coming again.
Yup its time to rebuild our industrial base at home and in the United States because we
are going to need it.

WE? So you are one of the banker gang and shipped your towns textile manufacturies to mainland China twenty-five years ago and only now do you realize the mistake. Why should we trust you to rebuild Canadas manufacturing capacity? And what would you draw a line in the sand with, J35s, nuclear subs, an actual stick? Time for a nap grampy, we'll both be dust before that even begins to happen, first our lands suffer poverty disease war and decade after decade of ignorance. That's the global economy. Look it up.

Cash is a thing of the past as we speak. You got to have raw materials even if someone else thinks they own them. The Pacific would belong to China if Japan had an accident. Pakistan yesterday gave China that deep water port, they want super clean seaways homeward bound.

China’s Return to Port Near Persian Gulf Sets Off Regional Alarm Bells

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
True they are flexing - True they are intimidating other countries on the Spratly dispute - changing from a joint discussion with all involved to a one on one.

The Chines Military strategy is one of denial- where the costs become to high for the US. Main reason for all the missiles between China and Taiwan. After the 7th Fleet sailed thru in 95-96 the Chinese lost immense face.
And face is important.

Methane clathrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ice on fire: The next fossil fuel

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

The more things change eh.

Have you read about China's way of dealing with the negotiations thru SEATO? Or how they whip up a mob(s) against Japanese interests in China.
Playing the nationalistic card can be and is usually dangerous as it can easily get out of control.

They tell their people that we hate them because of their family values and manufacturing capacity.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Yes I am aware of it. Huge deposits have yet to be found.
Not directed to you- Some may think that I am in favor of hostilities with |China. They would be wrong.

You have a China rising and they will flex their muscles - many say that China is not an expansionist culture. I would disagree.
They have long memories and plan well ahead, decades or longer if required. A case in point is Eastern Russia where they lost vast tracts of land. Filled with resources that they need.

China Looms Over Russian Far East - The Diplomat

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes I am aware of it. Huge deposits have yet to be found.
Not directed to you- Some may think that I am in favor of hostilities with |China. They would be wrong.

You have a China rising and they will flex their muscles - many say that China is not an expansionist culture. I would disagree.
They have long memories and plan well ahead, decades or longer if required. A case in point is Eastern Russia where they lost vast tracts of land. Filled with resources that they need.

China Looms Over Russian Far East - The Diplomat
It's found the same way as miinerals are found by using cores from the sediment and the same kg/t input/output ratios. They hit the jackpot.
It also breaks the link in chain the of islands which can be linked with NG lines.

Japan closed it's nukes down and now are desperate of NG turbine electricty

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Hypothetic Readings of the Phrase
The less-frightening hypothesis is that the «wartime» reference could be an ordinary slip of the tongue (2): the background of the Tokyo meeting – the escalating conflict between China and Japan over the Senkaku (Diaoyu) Islands – could indeed prompt Lagarde to inadvertently draw wartime parallels. Protesting against the Japanese attempt to «nationilize» three of the five islands, Beijing minimized its representation at the meeting held in Tokyo, so that envoys of many of the Chinese state-run banks were absent from the forum. China – the government and the nation - are currently seizing every opportunity to put Japan under economic pressure: Chinese firms serially opt out of partnerships with Japanese peers, sales of Japanese products on the Chinese market are shrinking, and the popularity of staples like Japanese cars in China is dwindling. At the moment, a huge question mark hangs over the project to set up a Chinese-Japanese-South Korean free trade zone, an arrangement towards which the tree countries have been inching elaborately for years. The Chinese banking sector's boycott of the IMF-World Bank meeting evidently shocked the international financial establishment as a completely unprecedented measure. http://www.strategic-culture.org/ne...ip-tongue-carefully-planned-announcement.html

China has a domestic market and manufacturing capacity, let the goods times roll.