Its just a game, whats with the controversy?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
hey, it costs nothing, sure takes awhile to download, but then you're on the front lines. Definitely a game worth getting, if you aren't interesting in paying for your pc games.
www.americasarmy.com
Yeah. I was looking for a sniping game and d/led it, got sidetracked before I could play it, then forgot I had it, then found it months later and played it. I still have it somewhere. Lately I've been more into Chess, Stratego, and Hearts than RPGs, FPSs, etc.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Crysis reminds me a bit of UR2:The Awakening
I haven't played that game.
What really impresses me with Crysis, besides the graphics is the Artificial Intelligence. Nothing is static in the game. Branches on trees will shift and blow depending on the direction of the wind. If you chop through folliage with a machine gun, it tears the folliage to shreds, you can make paths where there isn't one visible.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
What really impresses me with Crysis, besides the graphics is the Artificial Intelligence. Nothing is static in the game. Branches on trees will shift and blow depending on the direction of the wind. If you chop through folliage with a machine gun, it tears it the folliage to shreds, you can make paths where there isn't one visible.

the detailed graphics these days seem to amaze me :)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What really impresses me with Crysis, besides the graphics is the Artificial Intelligence. Nothing is static in the game. Branches on trees will shift and blow depending on the direction of the wind. If you chop through folliage with a machine gun, it tears it the folliage to shreds, you can make paths where there isn't one visible.
Wasn't aware it was out yet. I just read a description of it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Gilbert, did you play any of the Sierra games of the 1980's (Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Heroes Quest, King Quest etc)?
I remember when the Leisure Suit Larry series was released, it was considered quite the risque game back in the day.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Games and movies? What about the news?
I grew up watching the Vietnam war on the news at 6:00 pm every night way back when..............
Hell other countries don't have a TV and violence seems to be quite popular.
Genocide and ethnic cleansing. Don't think they got that from a video game.
The graphic content seems to rise with the realism it can imitate

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Gilbert, did you play any of the Sierra games of the 1980's (Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Heroes Quest, King Quest etc)?
I remember when the Leisure Suit Larry series was released, it was considered quite the risque game back in the day.
Played Police Quest a bit. 6 Disks and I couldn't get past the intro (the orientation briefing) for some reason. Lost interest in a hurry. Probably a good game.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey Les..:)
I don't understand what all the caffuffle's about....
Take dwarf-tossing...
What's the big deal?
Many of the dwarves I know wouldn't have any alternative to the circus if it weren't for tossing and dwarf-bowling....
Dwarf bowling is sitting your favorite dwarf on a skateboard and launching him down the alley into a set of ten-pins....
Great fun!

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
It's probably not the gamers running around shooting people. I would hate to see video games banned but perhaps we don't need to advertise violent games between say 7AM to 8PM on TV. Video games are just a scape goat for a much larger problem. The news media is as much of a problem as video games.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I always like to point this out:
Violent video games lower youth violence rates dramatically.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
That's right when your addicted to games and play all day you have no time to go out and be violent.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Currently stuck neck deep in a hockey simulator, but Counter Strike, Battlefield (various versions), Black Hawk Down, Resident Evil, Red Faction and Quake have all occupied a great deal of dedicated time well wasted. Your average hard core gaming kid is more prone to wanting a job so they can get the best graphics and speed out of there system. Which makes for more efficient nuking with the BFG, or better targeting with that sniper rifle as the lag factor is minimized. I always found the auto shotty was a personal fav in the games that included it, made the action far closer and more fun.