It Can Happen only in Texas.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
If you Canadians would have no problem with taking your wife and young children to a mall and seeing the Nuggler and The Lone Wolf hugging and kissing one another,each with an emblem of the Canadian flag sewn on their jacket shoulders in a sort of Canadian military epaulette fashion statement, then I guess you should add that to the Canadian Great Accomplishments thread. Those two might be proud that they can do something like that in as public place as a mall, but they would be frowned upon by most Americans. Particularly at those malls that have Sears as an anchor store.

lol - ya, well not to terribly long ago, many Americans would have frowned at the idea of a black President too. Times change, and so do people. Try to keep up.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If you Canadians would have no problem with taking your wife and young children to a mall and seeing the Nuggler and The Lone Wolf hugging and kissing one another,each with an emblem of the Canadian flag sewn on their jacket shoulders in a sort of Canadian military epaulette fashion statement, then I guess you should add that to the Canadian Great Accomplishments thread. Those two might be proud that they can do something like that in as public place as a mall, but they would be frowned upon by most Americans. Particularly at those malls that have Sears as an anchor store.

Mayhaps the Nuggler and The Lone Wolf are celebrating the Leafs winning the Cup. Hell ... I'd even kiss you if that's what it took. Then again, maybe having a friend with whom to celebrate the win is a concept completely alien to y'all?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Maybe it has to do with the fact that not all lesbians look like that, and men seem less keen on this on every street corner.

Men seem to only appreciate the 'lesbians' that they can fantasize they have a shot with.
Are those women or men or both? I can't tell.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Ironsides, it is never easy to predict how courts will rule on any given topic, the comments they make during the presentation of the case is not necessarily an indication of how they will eventually rule.

It may well be that they will let the referendum decision stand. Considering the fact that opposition to gay marriage runs at 65:35 in USA, it is perhaps expected that they will let the decision (to ban gay marriage) stand.

Fight for civil rights, equal rights is never easy, it is three steps forward, two steps back. Blacks, women did not have an easy time of it. For women, several decades passed between the time they got the vote and the time they were permitted to participate equally in all facets of life (education, employment politics etc.). Fights by blacks lasted even longer.

Gay rights movement is relatively young, 20 to 25 years old; it may be decades yet before they achieve full equality.

Also, USA is a very conservative, very religious country, and homophobia runs rampant in USA (Except for a few pockets of enlightenment such as Connecticut, Massachusetts etc.).

So I don’t know how the California decision will come out. However, win or lose, the fight for equality goes on. And significant progress towards equality of gays is being made in most of the developed world, except USA.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
However, what is remarkable is the asinine way they amend the constitution in many states of USA, with a 50%+1 vote in a referendum. By the slimmest of majority they can take rights away from minorities (as they did, with the 52:48 results in the referendum banning gay marriage).

In this respect, protection for minorities is fairly weak in USA, minority rights can easily be taken away in many states. Federally it is difficult to amend the constitution. However, at the state level, it is very easy to strip minorities of their rights.

What is happening in California is mob rule, and not democracy as I understand the term. A democracy is characterized by a robust protection of minority rights, where minority rights cannot be taken away by a 50%+1 win in a referendum.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Gay marriage is an absolute abomination. Since the first Canadian left his cave hundreds of thousands of years ago and made a bee line for the US, 99.9% of mankind has considered marriage to be between a man and a women. After all that history, you've decided in the past few years to correct a wrong and an act of discrimination that has survived numerous ice ages.
It appears that less than 10 countries permit gay marriage. And for you to equate gays as a minority in the same category as blacks is just revolting. In fact, in the US, blacks are overwhelmingly against gay marriage and are deeply opposed to equating the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement, a comparison gays frequently make.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Maybe it has to do with the fact that not all lesbians look like that, and men seem less keen on this on every street corner.

Men seem to only appreciate the 'lesbians' that they can fantasize they have a shot with.

See people always see the negative in life.

I rather see the positive.. If these two are together it means neither of them will be chasing me in a bar or supermarket.. :lol:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Gay marriage is an absolute abomination. Since the first Canadian left his cave hundreds of thousands of years ago and made a bee line for the US, 99.9% of mankind has considered marriage to be between a man and a women. After all that history, you've decided in the past few years to correct a wrong and an act of discrimination that has survived numerous ice ages.
It appears that less than 10 countries permit gay marriage. And for you to equate gays as a minority in the same category as blacks is just revolting. In fact, in the US, blacks are overwhelmingly against gay marriage and are deeply opposed to equating the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement, a comparison gays frequently make.

oh Bull sh!t. The only abomination here is the archaic mentality of a person who is so frightened of anyone or anything that is different from themselves they use it as an excuse to perpetuate hate filled stereotypes in some perverse hope that by ostracizing others, nobody will notice how small in mind and spirit they are themselves.

My gawd if there's one thing I cannot stand it's a bigot.

:angryfire:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Maybe so Zan, but USA is full of them. We have our share here in Canada of course, but nowhere near as many as they have in USA.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Gay marriage is an absolute abomination.

RanchHand, that is your opinion. At one time, interracial marriage was considered abomination. A woman having the right to vote (or woman having an education) was considered an abomination. A woman working outside home was considered an abomination. A woman, lawyer, woman doctor, woman scientist, woman engineer was consider something revolting, an abomination inspired by the Devil himself

At one time birth control was considered an abomination, abortion was considered an abomination.

These things change with time. So the fact that you consider gay marriage to be an abomination means nothing.

After all that history, you've decided in the past few years to correct a wrong and an act of discrimination that has survived numerous ice ages.

Sure, just as Americans decided to correct a wrong and discrimination that has survived ice ages, the discrimination against women, the discrimination against blacks. You people have done the same thing you accuse us Canadians of doing.

It appears that less than 10 countries permit gay marriage.

Indeed, and I am proud that Canada is a world leader in this issue.

And for you to equate gays as a minority in the same category as blacks is just revolting.

And why is it revolting? It happens to be the truth.

In fact, in the US, blacks are overwhelmingly against gay marriage and are deeply opposed to equating the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement, a comparison gays frequently make.

And what has that got to do with anything? Blacks had their civil right struggle, now they have achieved equality (at least in the law, if not in the society), now they want to deny other minorities equal rights. That is only human nature.

Blacks got their right to vote much earlier than women did. When women were struggling to get the right to vote, no doubt some blacks opposed their movement. Did that make women’s struggle invalid, illegitimate, just because a few blacks opposed it? No way. It is the same with gay rights struggle.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Incidentally, can anybody tell me what is this ‘latest reputation received’ that I see on the screen which shows my subscribed threads?

Next to it, it says 466 points total. Does that mean that my sins are mounting and when it reaches 500, something terrible will happen? Or does that mean that people like my posts and the 466 points received is a good thing?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

Maybe so Zan, but USA is full of them. We have our share here in Canada of course, but nowhere near as many as they have in USA.

SirJo, I have a high regard for you based on the many posts you've made that demonstrate tolerance and the wisdom of experience.

.... but in all respect, I have to ask you... even if you believe your comment to be true, does pointing it out so baldly do anything to help further the eradication of bigotry?

I ask because it distresses me to see Canadians and Americans pointing fingers at each other as if to say one country's flaws are somehow worse than the other's.... it belies any hope of fostering the tolerance and spirit of good will I'd rather see us sharing with each other. Bigotry towards gays, blacks, other countries... against anything, it's still bigotry is it not?

At the end of the day, we've far more that bonds us than separates us... as individuals and as nations...and as for those who hold fast with frightened determination to any and all notions that serve only to separate us and promote hatred ... such as bigotry towards gays for example... they are the ones we need to be most careful not to emulate whilst condemning the spirit of bigotry we abhor, imo.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Incidentally, can anybody tell me what is this ‘latest reputation received’ that I see on the screen which shows my subscribed threads?

Next to it, it says 466 points total. Does that mean that my sins are mounting and when it reaches 500, something terrible will happen? Or does that mean that people like my posts and the 466 points received is a good thing?

They're greenies ... so good.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

In fairness, most people would be quite unhappy with that if it turns out to be a man and a woman too.

People are always less tolerant of PDA's when its, substantially unappealing people, involved. Unfair but its the way it is. Its not limited to homosexual, and treating homosexuals different from heterosexuals in this regard actually would be discriminatory.

It would be nice if people just didn't care, but if they do..care equally :p

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I've looked at that picture over and over in post after post. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused by it. It truly looks like a man and a woman to me.
I'm with Talloola on this one. I don't see any reason for people to be all over each other in public or giving anything more than a quick peck on the lips or cheek for a kiss. It is quite revolting to watch people who cannot keep their hands off each other in line-ups which include purchases in the deli department. Yuk! I am so glad I was raised to keep my smooching private.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Greens are good Sirrup but - one lousy red by one irate poster can really knock you down a good number of notches. At the top of a post, there is the word "rep". Here you can give a good or bad report about a poster. I didn't know how to do that until this moment and I actually clicked on it on your post. Sorry - I didn't give you a good or bad. I just looked. ;-)

Last edited: