Isis plans to mint its own currency

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This is a great idea. I hope they succeed. I hope they invest in it heavily. I hope they develop a whole economy in it, if they survive.

Canada alone could complete collapse their economy in a month.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Neither do I, but looking at the long game, just in case.

IS is pretty optimistic if it's already planning to establish its own currency. So not only do they read the Qur'an with their eyes closed, but they're completely delusional. For crying out loud, they don't have a single ally and all the neighbouring countries are against them to varying degrees along with the rest of the world. Delusional!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
IS is pretty optimistic if it's already planning to establish its own currency. So not only do they read the Qur'an with their eyes closed, but they're completely delusional. For crying out loud, they don't have a single ally and all the neighbouring countries are against them to varying degrees along with the rest of the world. Delusional!
Hi I'm Bear, welcome to CC.

lol.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I agree with you on this insight. ISIS will in its own way wage an economic war with the West. We shouldn't be too cocky as there are lots of people who would adopt a metal standard, especially in the Muslim community. In the current world ISIS doesn't need the West to trade with, at least in their view.

Couple this with the West's relations with Russia and China and you've got the makings of a real mess.

It seems the reason the west resists the gold standard is because it used it's reserves some time ago to suppress the gold and silver markets. This is about to end hence thee simmering war. I believe Harper squandered the Canadian treasuries last five tons some three or four years ago. Libya is a ruined former garden because they backed the African gold dinar.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It seems the reason the west resists the gold standard is because it used it's reserves some time ago to suppress the gold and silver markets. This is about to end hence thee simmering war. I believe Harper squandered the Canadian treasuries last five tons some three or four years ago. Libya is a ruined former garden because they backed the African gold dinar.

What's your news source if you don't mind my asking.

Northboy

Electoral Member

Canada might be lucky as we can produce gold if there became a pressing need to do so. I haven't followed how much in gold reserves the Bank of Canada keeps at this time. It might be an interesting thing to consider in light of what ISIS is up to.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Canada might be lucky as we can produce gold if there became a pressing need to do so. I haven't followed how much in gold reserves the Bank of Canada keeps at this time. It might be an interesting thing to consider in light of what ISIS is up to.

Yes, a metal standard (or in this case, multi metal standard) has economic advantages over fiat currencies, but I don't think that that alone will suffice to save IS, thank God.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Yes, a metal standard (or in this case, multi metal standard) has economic advantages over fiat currencies, but I don't think that that alone will suffice to save IS, thank God.

I agree with you there, I doubt their currency will get a lot of traction and without exchange bourses the currency will have little use in international trade, but certain Muslim countries such as Egypt may accept a gold based Dinar, which will give them some trading partners.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I agree with you there, I doubt their currency will get a lot of traction and without exchange bourses the currency will have little use in international trade, but certain Muslim countries such as Egypt may accept a gold based Dinar, which will give them some trading partners.

Black market, perhaps. Even Egypt opposes IS.

They might like the currency, but they will still fight IS.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Black market, perhaps. Even Egypt opposes IS.

They might like the currency, but they will still fight IS.
If ISIS manages to carve out some territory and calms down just a little, I figure most of the countries in the region will accept it. I also figure it'll go off the gold standard pretty quick.