Is Western Independence Necessary ??

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
In a country as large and diverse as ours, alienation whether Eastern or Western, will be fodder for forums and talk shows for years to come. I once thought that Western Separatism was the only answer to the East's hold on power.............the election of the Conservatives took much of that belief away.

I am more a Canadian than I am a BC'er but that may be because I have lived in many other provinces over my lifetime and found something to appreciate in each and every one.

Have often wondered why the capitol has to remain in Ottawa. Winnipeg would be a great choice for a new capitol of Canada - smack dab in the middle of the country.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
To begin with, every single farmer I know has hired men. Here in southern Alberta large farms are the rule. Secondly, It is irrelevant if few, some, most or all farms hire workers, the farm workers are not covered by the same labour laws as the rest of society. Farmers can't afford it. Just like the NEP, the government subsidizes one sector to help another. I just find it amusing that so many that benefit from this when they are on the receiving end, whine so badly when they are not.

http://www.justlabour.yorku.ca/volume14/pdfs/04_barnetson_press.pdf

"In 2006, the majority of Alberta’s 49,431 farms were family-operated sole
proprietorships or partnerships (Canada, 2006a). Only 697 farms were classified
as non-family corporations, although over half of all “family farms” had capital
valued over $500,000, 40% had capital of over $1 million, and nearly 20% had
capital over $2 million
Thirty-five percent of farms reported paid labour, with
18% reporting year-round paid labour and 22% reporting seasonal or temporary
paid labour (Alberta, 2007a).
"

Oh yeah, all those POOOOR farmers. Just another myth like a politician for the people.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
In a country as large and diverse as ours, alienation whether Eastern or Western, will be fodder for forums and talk shows for years to come. I once thought that Western Separatism was the only answer to the East's hold on power.............the election of the Conservatives took much of that belief away.

I am more a Canadian than I am a BC'er but that may be because I have lived in many other provinces over my lifetime and found something to appreciate in each and every one.

Have often wondered why the capitol has to remain in Ottawa. Winnipeg would be a great choice for a new capitol of Canada - smack dab in the middle of the country.

Not only does the west give Ont $2.2 billion in equalization payments but we also feed Ont with a government industry, which no other province gets.

Winnipeg would be a good choice for a Capital !!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not only does the west give Ont $2.2 billion in equalization payments but we also feed Ont with a government industry, which no other province gets.

Winnipeg would be a good choice for a Capital !!

Growing up as a member of a politically active family in Saskatchewan during the 50s through the 70s, I remember hearing a lot about the West being left out, disregarded and lacking in political clout. Farmers in my Dad's circle of friends often talked about the Eastern Establishment and its inability to care about or understand the needs of the West.

Politically much has changed for Saskatchewan since I was a youngster and I often wonder what my Dad would have to say about the state of things today were he still here to have one.

Since I first found out that Winnipeg is the closest city to the geographical center of Canada, it has been my belief that Winnipeg should be the capitol of Canada.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Growing up as a member of a politically active family in Saskatchewan during the 50s through the 70s, I remember hearing a lot about the West being left out, disregarded and lacking in political clout. Farmers in my Dad's circle of friends often talked about the Eastern Establishment and its inability to care about or understand the needs of the West.

Politically much has changed for Saskatchewan since I was a youngster and I often wonder what my Dad would have to say about the state of things today were he still here to have one.

Since I first found out that Winnipeg is the closest city to the geographical center of Canada, it has been my belief that Winnipeg should be the capitol of Canada.

Well I'm sure much of the change can be attributed to technology, ie tv etc. But I think the basic issue of inequality has not changed and it won't change because of the population of Canada resides mainly in Quebec and Ont. they have the power, and it is only natural that they will continue to control the rains of power. The west has and always will be sucking the hind tit under the present government arrangement. The west can only have more power if they have independence from Ottawa and deal with all (Can, US etc) other countries on a business basis and not on a political basis.
Many countries, that are smaller than the west, are very successful and there is no reason the west cannot do better on their own. We are in the 21 century, no reason to keep doing things the Old way !!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One major advantage to having a new western country is that we would no longer have to have the queen on our money. Or a royal navy.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Virtually every study ever done has shown that if this ever occurred, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba would become a part of the USA within 25 years, and BC in about another 25. Is that what you want?

Most separatists I've met in the past would be just fine with that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Don't forget, we could get by with only one language....English !!

Go talk to the folks in Guy, Falher, Girouxville, Donnelly, Bonneville, Beaumont, etc.... they might disagree with you about language laws.

How many separatists would you say you've met ??

Not a lot, but the handful I've met have all been highly right wing to the point of 'Americanized'.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Go talk to the folks in Guy, Falher, Girouxville, Donnelly, Bonneville, Beaumont, etc.... they might disagree with you about language laws.

I don't think so, not once they realize how much it is costing them. Besides, they are in the west now, so the French have little influence in the west,,,there were no wars here !!

highly right wing to the point of 'Americanized'.
And your definition of right wing is????
Have you ever lived in the US???

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... no, sorry Durry. I know enough French (am one, married one), to know it's not as simple as that.