Is the world about to end, LHC.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
By the looks of it a Black hole would be the best worst cast scenario... at least it would be over in less than a second. Still enough time to say I told you so.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Apparently if a micro black hole was to escape and be pulled into the earths graivity it could take a few years to eat the earth. Which would fit into the Mayan calender.

Also the Machine is being switched on as the earths population recently hit 6.66 Billion people.

o_O

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
source

quote:

However, Hawking puts the odds of the formation of microscopic black holes at about 1% and dismisses any claim that they will pose any sort of threat. Collisions in the earth's atmosphere release even more energy on a regular basis and have not destroyed the earth yet, he points out.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
ROFL

i was just reading about the LHC and came across this quote, from professor Brian Cox at the University of Manchester

Isn't it funny how the ones to always deny the worst outcomes are the ones with vested interests. Someone working on the project for the last 20 years and companies spending millions of dollars are hardly going to come out now and say its dangerous.

anyone who thinks the earth will be destroyed by the machine is a twat

Defensive much? Hardly the kind of language the expect from one of the worlds leading physicists.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
the reason it's funny to me is that it's a very mancunian thing to say. I expect he headbutted the reporter shortly afterwards

for the non-english people, mancunian means "from manchester"

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
However, Hawking puts the odds of the formation of microscopic black holes at about 1% and dismisses any claim that they will pose any sort of threat. Collisions in the earth's atmosphere release even more energy on a regular basis and have not destroyed the earth yet, he points out.

Remember when the worlds top scientists thought the world was flat? whats the difference here. They say there needs to be a 4th dimension or another massive anomaly for a black hole or stranglet to be formed. Yet at one point we thought the world was flat and flying into space was only science fiction.

Stranger things have happened.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
They say there needs to be a 4th dimension or another massive anomaly for a black hole or stranglet to be formed.

even if a black hole was formed, it has been shown that black holes decay (disappear) faster if they are smaller.

it has also been seen that this kind of collision happens all the time. the only reason we need the LHC is so that we can put the collisions somewhere we can examine them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I love the fact that the internet provides a great place for people with little or no knowledge, but a whole lot of gullibility, to discuss how scared they are by relatively straightforward things.

Buildings falling down, microwave ovens, fluoride, etc.

Ignorance (in the true meaning of the word, ie, lack of knowledge) is stunningly fun to watch when it's in full flight.

CARRY ON, LADS.

Reactions: AmberEyes

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Please enlighten me oh great one.

Buildings falling down, microwave ovens and fluoride are a far step from a LHC. What was that about ignorance?