Is the English Language being bastardized?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Years ago when I first heard the term "preowned cars", I thought things were getting a little ridiculous, not to say ostentatious. Well, tonight while watching the Idiot Box, I heard one that really takes the cake, I thought....................."soil" has now become "growing medium". In school (110 years ago) we were taught when there is a choice of using two words with the same meaning, use the shorter one!

Thou dost speak truth.

Thou art correct in deed.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
English began as a "bastardized" language, and it will always be one. That is is strength, unlike many other languages, it is infinitely changeable.

It is primarily based on Germanic languages, Romance languages and a smattering of Celtic, and other languages. But, it has added words from virtually every language known to mankind over the years.

There is NO other language on earth that can be so horribly mangled, yet still be comprehensible.

The classic example is of the Old West, when a Chinese laundryman said, "No tickee, no shirtee"! The words are not even words, but the meaning is still VERY clear.

That is EXACTLY why English is THE International language today. Unlike French, which is highly UNadaptable, you can adjust, massage and otherwise utilize English to get the message across.

Thank God for the English language, and just how wonderfully flexible it is.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
English began as a "bastardized" language, and it will always be one. That is is strength, unlike many other languages, it is infinitely changeable.

It is primarily based on Germanic languages, Romance languages and a smattering of Celtic, and other languages. But, it has added words from virtually every language known to mankind over the years.

There is NO other language on earth that can be so horribly mangled, yet still be comprehensible.

The classic example is of the Old West, when a Chinese laundryman said, "No tickee, no shirtee"! The words are not even words, but the meaning is still VERY clear.

That is EXACTLY why English is THE International language today. Unlike French, which is highly UNadaptable, you can adjust, massage and otherwise utilize English to get the message across.

Really?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I heard "no tickee no washee" :lol:

WTF sup with dat?

I can't stand internet/texting slang.

I can accept the texting lingo, after all you are just using a form of shorthand to make the process more functional.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Because you may be looking at several options to grow some plant. All vegetable are plants, but not all plants are vegetables.

Sometimes longer words are bafflegab/jargon, sometimes they display more choices than the obvious. Like hydroponics. And a "nutrient solution" may be neither hydroponics nor soil.