Is Target Canada approaching its make-or-break moment?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Malaysian and Haitian.

Whatever happened to the days when the Japanese had the corner on the cheap crap market?
Funny how Japanese made stuff is now practically as good as it gets.

It used to be that people scoffed at Fender Guitars being made in Japan. Now those instruments are highly sought and generally better than Fender products made anywhere.

My bass is a Japanese made Sadowsky. Brilliantly crafted.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Funny how Japanese made stuff is now practically as good as it gets.

It used to be that people scoffed at Fender Guitars being made in Japan. Now those instruments are highly sought and generally better than Fender products made anywhere.

My bass is a Japanese made Sadowsky. Brilliantly crafted.
Or Blueridge guitars made in China .....Very good quality Martin knockoffs......

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The newest department store to open in Canada is Marshalls.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Do we really need another American chain store?...Both these stores are just outlets for Chinese junk........
I've been told by someone in the know that they're great places to buy cheap tennis balls to keep your Labrador Retriever well supplied-apart from that...

Whatever happened to the days when the Japanese had the corner on the cheap crap market?
Your age is showing-that was over 50 years ago-what's left of Japanese manufacturing is all very high end everything else was outsourced long long ago.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Target has nice, clean, stores. The staff is courteous, the aisles wide and well stocked.

I think people got the impression Target was going to compete with Wally in the price dept. Didn't happen, and ain't gonna.
But, here's hoping they stay around. Folks'll get used to Zellers with a different name.
And, they employ people.
The one here looks like things are picking up, from the number of cars in the lot on any given day.
just sayin

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Target has nice, clean, stores. The staff is courteous, the aisles wide and well stocked.

I think people got the impression Target was going to compete with Wally in the price dept. Didn't happen, and ain't gonna.
But, here's hoping they stay around. Folks'll get used to Zellers with a different name.
And, they employ people.
The one here looks like things are picking up, from the number of cars in the lot on any given day.
just sayin

I've have been inside of a Target store a grand total of 2 times since they came to Canada. Both times I bought something, the last time I was specifically looking for something which they did have but I had to wait 10 minutes for the guy at the service desk to page a staff member to help me. But I got what I came for so it really wouldn't deter me from going back again.

Personally I'm moving more to online shopping and I've never been one to chase down a sales item (at least not for many, many years-if I want it, I buy it, if I can't afford it, then I don't buy it). So if they stay or go, really won't affect me either way.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well I did something I said I wouldn't do, after Target made peace with the Legion and the
poppy sales drive, I shopped there. I am not totally happy but I am not a disappointed as
I thought I would. menswear is not all that bad and the prices are not to high in my view.
Target does not know its customers or their habits so how can they cater to those customers.
They have the view of some who say oh Canadians are just like Americans They Are Not
and that has become evident.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
our old zellers store was a dump and definitely needed lots of repair, and we were looking forward to
the 'new' target store, but we instantly disappointed, and haven't gone there since.

zellers also had lots of bargains, which we watched for.

our old zellers store had lots of sporting goods, lots of tools, a good hardware section, along with
everything else we need. my husband was looking forward to his usual browse and possible purchases
into 'those' departments, but found almost nothing, so he never went there again, and neither did i.
we also enjoyed the restaurant from time to time in zellers, and the long-time employees lost all of
their jobs, as some of the employees we chatted with from time to time had no chance to save their
jobs.

zellers was a store that knew what canadians liked see when they came into the store.

walmart also knows what canadians want to see and shop for, target knows nothing, thought they
could get the higher prices out of canadians and also show us a boring store.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
But it's no Martin. Only a Martin sounds and plays like a Martin.

Yup. ex-buddy bought two Blueridge guitars and asked me what I thought. So I told him he should have bought one Martin. Price would have been bout the same and he would have had a good guitar............one Blueridge just sits in his living room,..
We don't speak too much anymore:roll:

Got an invite up to his cottage and there was a fella there from the States. Had a Martin. BLEW the ridge out of the water. An I said ---------see ??
Understand he has handguns, but dunno if he's coming for me or not.:lol:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Do we really need another American chain store? The Target store in Nanaimo is generally empty. A giant store with few customers and no service to speak of. When it goes under...good riddance. I would be happy to see the end of Walmart as well. Both these stores are just outlets for Chinese junk........If you happen to buy any, don't worry about it they'll be selling something else next week and person who served you will be gone.

Gone are the day where you would spend 3 times more for more high quality junk at The Bay or Eaton's. People want more bang for their buck now.