Is It Time To Kick Greece Out Of The EU

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding Greece. The country barely has a GNP that is two-thirds of Ontario. How such a minute entity can have such a destabilizing influence on the EU which has a collective GNP approximately equal to that of the USA is beyond me. Germany could buy Greece several ties over with just one month's GNP. If someone can explain this tiny nation's undue influence please enlighten me.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Because nations aren't for sale and Germany and France are spending huge amounts of political capital to make the EU work. Greece, seems to be snubbing its nose at these efforts. The Greek govt lied about its budget, and doesn't want to be accountable. Europe is as much about politics as it is economics.

People knew when Greece joined the EU in 1981 it was risky. They recently only came out of a dictatorship and a had a shaky democracy. Against modern economies and mature democracies they were were out of their league. But historically, Europe has been very divided and turbulent. Then communism collapsed in 1990 and Europe was somewhat euphoric. They wanted better times than what they had in the past. The 20th century was quite hellish for many in Europe. A little idealistic perhaps, they may have overreached, and maybe Greece should drop the euro but stay in the EU like Britain.

If you don't know some European history, you don't get the problem.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah!! Kick the Greece out of it. Use the boot of Italy. Do you know why it's a boot? You just can't fit that much **** in a shoe. It's all Greece's fault we have politics to begin with in the first place not to mention useless Olympic debt and half goat boys.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah!! Kick the Greece out of it. Use the boot of Italy. Do you know why it's a boot? You just can't fit that much **** in a shoe. It's all Greece's fault we have politics to begin with in the first place not to mention useless Olympic debt and half goat boys.

Either that or start selling a few more shish kabobs!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It too late to kick Greece out the money is spent and the lean on the Euro will come
regardless of what happens to that country. The government secured all the loan
money and they knew they could not sell it to the people so they set up the process
for a referendum because they knew what the outcome and the risks were. In short
Europe and those will Mutual Funds will be left holding the bag. Kick them out and
they will make different trade deals and Europe will have no chance of getting its
money back. In fact look out Italy is right behind them Italy I believe is the third
largest indebted country on the planet and they are going to default as well.
New will be Portugal, followed by Spain, Iceland, and don't forget Ireland.
We are in a mess that cannot be solved as the money is spent and has to be repaid
and No One is willing to take the step to repay it. If they cut services and raise taxes
there will be a world wide rebellion. If they do nothing and the economy falls apart
through inflation, the people of the world will rebel.
Harper is in the same potential position as the Conservatives were prior to the Great
Depression. This is where Occupy Wall street support will steadily grow. And the
blame the rich sentiment will rise dramatically.
Unfortunately know one gets the message, both the rich and the working people of the
world need each other. One group comes up the the money and ideas to build great
things, The people on the left are there to remind us, that we also must pay attention
to the needs of society and humanity. This will see a clash of the classes soon if
something is not done.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
It's too late to politically kick Greece out of the EU, that's too harsh. Maybe a step back by going back to the drachma for a decade or two. Nobody wants to pay up, but they have to, or maybe they don't. They need massive structural political and economic reform no matter what.

The very good news is that there is no chance of a war here. But you don't need war for bad news. Decades of stagnation can bring something very depressing. The boom only ended recently, but how long can they fiddle? Politics here are volatile.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I've heard that the underground economy in those European countries have been off the charts for years. Pretty difficult to fund your government when a huge segment does everything under the table.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've heard that the underground economy in those European countries have been off the charts for years. Pretty difficult to fund your government when a huge segment does everything under the table.
Trade is good. I'll trade you some wine for a chicken and some feta.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Barter is a way of life in many Canadian communities. Some people would be in dire straights without it.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

The farther south you go in Europe, the worse it gets. They say about Greece, half the people work for the govt and the other half don't pay taxes. Not very modern here.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The farther south you go in Europe, the worse it gets. They say about Greece, half the people work for the govt and the other half don't pay taxes. Not very modern here.

So all the people should work for the government so that everyone can pay the taxes problem solved

Barter is a way of life in many Canadian communities. Some people would be in dire straights without it.

So politicians should be paid in donkeys which is an asss for an asss

It's all about democracy which the EU lives for but not in the Greece Let the people make the decision.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
In fact look out Italy is right behind them Italy I believe is the third
largest indebted country on the planet and they are going to default as well. New will be Portugal, followed by Spain, Iceland, and don't forget Ireland. We are in a mess that cannot be solved as the money is spent and has to be repaid and No One is willing to take the step to repay it. If they cut services and raise taxes there will be a world wide rebellion. If they do nothing and the economy falls apart
through inflation, the people of the world will rebel.

Much of Italy's debt is 'owned' by Italians, add to that the reality that Italy has a very strong GDP.

They are still on rough seas, but they are no where near in the same boat as Greece.

The very good news is that there is no chance of a war here.

Does Greece have any form of Military?

Barter is a great way to avoid taxes, but if you expect any kind of social services from the gvt, then barter doesn't really do much for ya.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

When taxes eat up 50%+ of your income like in Canada expect the underground economy to thrive. Cash works.So do trades.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The European Union has been a catastrophic failure. All of the promises of prosperity and stability have failed to materialize. Everyone is poorer, and Europe lurches from crisis to crisis. What has really failed is the entire Free Trade, free market, monetarist, post-national model on which the EU was built.

The smartest thing Greece could do right now, is default, and leave the EU. They can take a page from Iceland who told the IMF to shove it, when told to impose austerity on its people. Norway must be thanking its lucky stars for rejecting EU membership a few years ago. The thing is a moneypit, ungovernable and in the control a ransid oligarchy of money traders and human traffickers.