Is it racist?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
So Colbert gets lots of publicity............cries all the way to the bank.

If there's nothing wrong with it why was the tweet removed I wonder. Hmmm. That's a tricky one eh.

Someone in power made a value judgement, as they are wont to do.............shabam!!! gone.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Which, oddly enough, is also a stereotype.
No, a stereotype is attributing to all members of a group a characteristic that is present only in some members of the group, esp. a negative or undesirable characteristic.

Stating that from my personal experience with lots of Indians more of them have alcohol problems than have deeply religious feelings about Moneto (in whatever name) is a personal observation based on fact.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Can't say that I'm too interested in what everyone is saying about it. It's plain ridiculous and PC run amok - again.

JMO

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No, a stereotype is attributing to all members of a group a characteristic that is present only in some members of the group, esp. a negative or undesirable characteristic.

Stating that from my personal experience with lots of Indians more of them have alcohol problems than have deeply religious feelings about Moneto (in whatever name) is a personal observation based on fact.

I didn't say what YOU were saying was a stereotype, I was saying that it is also a common stereotype, lol.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's straight up racist.

It is satire. Laid on fairly thick as well. Colbert at his best.

As for Rosie, not a fan of her or The View but I think it was intended as a joke. It would have been ideal if she could speak the language but since she didn't. It's no worse than somebody piecing together broken French or Italian or Russian to make a similar joke.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I didn't say what YOU were saying was a stereotype, I was saying that it is also a common stereotype, lol.
Oh, the "drunk Injun?" Yeah, run into that one every now and then. Like every time I take a drink, which ain't too bad, since I do it maybe 4-5 times a year.

But you're certainly correct. Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding.

You keep me honest. As a lawyer, I really HATE that!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It is satire. Laid on fairly thick as well. Colbert at his best.

Of course it is; anyone who can't see that needs to change their outrage panties. The lead was using the Washington Redskins story and the new charity, it couldn't be any more obvious without putting a disclaimer on the screen.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bloggers, pseudosleuths and media might want to dig and find who posts on the @colbertreport twitter account eh.

Wonder who that troll could be that riled the progs so badly?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Oh, and I only label them trolls since they took the tweet down. Otherwise, leave that funny sh!t up there. :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Oh, the "drunk Injun?" Yeah, run into that one every now and then. Like every time I take a drink, which ain't too bad, since I do it maybe 4-5 times a year.

But you're certainly correct. Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding.

You keep me honest. As a lawyer, I really HATE that!
As an American Indian and lawyer.......what is your view on the Jay Treaty...and if the S C o C should uphold this federal court ruling

Daniels v. Canada. Daniels’ Appeal Hearing to defend Métis and non-status Indians Rights concludes in Ottawa

And would the USA discriminate against those with less than 50% blood from north of the border?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
By Sean O'Neal

Apr 1, 2014 11:24 AM

Last night, Stephen Colbert devoted his entire first show since the eruption of #CancelColbert to respond, addressing the outrage on Twitter over misconstrued satire the most effective way possible—by mocking Twitter through the use of satire. It was an admirably fearless response to the din of angry people on social media, who’d briefly overtaken the larger, slightly less focused din of angry people on social media with their accusations of racial insensitivity, directed toward a Colbert piece created to mock racial insensitivity.

Colbert called in breeding expert BD Wong to help stop that controversy from reproducing any further, and he reminded everyone that the tweet, which came from the Comedy Central-run @ColbertReport, was an out-of-context quote from a larger piece—a piece that didn’t stir up any controversy at all, until it was stripped of nuance and tossed into the hall of echoes and mirrors that is Twitter. “Who would’ve thought a means of communication limited to 140 characters would ever cause a misunderstanding?” Colbert asked of this, the devil’s telegraph.

You can watch Colbert’s response below, in which he also attempts to circle back to the joke’s target, Dan Snyder’s Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation (“which Twitter seems to be fine with, because I haven’t seen sh!t about that”). He also shared his hopes that “no one tweets about the time I said that Rosa Parks was overrated, Hitler had some good ideas, or ran a cartoon during Black History Month showing President Obama teaming up with the Ku Klux Klan because, man, that sounds pretty bad out of context.”

vid and more

Stephen Colbert responds to Twitter satire controversy with more satire on Twitter · Newswire · The A.V. Club

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver