Is it immoral to procreate?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The question which comes to my mind is...

If you procreate the most vital and important consideration would be how would you raise the child(ren) of your procreation?

The earth can handle many more than the current population numbers if spread out properly and with some order in the chaos which now reigns. There is room for all, if all can ever agree on living together as one group - humans.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't think morality has anything to do with procreation. It's like saying "Is it moral to breathe?". It's not something humans in general will ever control completely.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
You should not procreate if you can't look after the child and give it a good life.

I don't think thats too "barbaric" a position is it?

Dezzarai

Mar 16, 2007
I think procreation is neither moral nor immoral. It all depends on how you raise your kids. If they are environmentally concious, then what harm could they possibly do to the environment? if procreation is banned, then we would just die out, right? I think that people should have to get a license before they can have kids. then we would have a lot less bad parents out there.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's expected that if you have a child you have the means to support it and sufficient brains to provide him a role model. If you disregard the obvious don't expect society to be charitable in its views.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
The population explosion is comming from the less indusrrial countries. Wonder if they ask themselves the same questions?
I guess women should sleep with one eye open then.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think procreation is neither moral nor immoral. It all depends on how you raise your kids. If they are environmentally concious, then what harm could they possibly do to the environment? if procreation is banned, then we would just die out, right? I think that people should have to get a license before they can have kids. then we would have a lot less bad parents out there.

The problem is deciding what characteristics and attributes decide what makes an individual decent enough to have kids.

Not to mention how much that tramples on somebody's rights... procreation is the centre of our meek little existance and as necessary to our survival as breathing. To deny somebody the right to have children is like denying them the right to breathe.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
You should not procreate if you can't look after the child and give it a good life.

I don't think thats too "barbaric" a position is it?

If that were the case I wouldn't exist, so I would call it a little harsh. I was given up for adoption and I'm grateful for it. Many people create their families with children whose parents couldn't care for them.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The population explosion is comming from the less indusrrial countries. Wonder if they ask themselves the same questions?
I guess women should sleep with one eye open then.

Unfortunately in most poor countries women have very little to no control over their fertility.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Unfortunately in most poor countries women have very little to no control over their fertility.
True sadly but the last line was for the one who started the thread, which kinda kills it when she gets to this post.......DOH

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, thanks Hermann for pointing out that onei is a mom. I had assumed otherwise! lol.

That being said....

The desire to procreate is not limited strictly to the act of sex. The desire to have a child, to hold that warm little bundle of joy in your arms, is not just about screwing. It's an urge of its own, completely outside of the act which makes it possible, and if you think there are many people in this world who can simply shrug off that urge, that desire, then you're kidding yourself.

There's a major difference between having sex and the active decision to bring another human being into the world, especially in a society where preventative, and after-the-fact, contraception is readily available. Having a child today is a conscious choice.

Last edited:

oneiopen

Mar 19, 2007
Well, thanks Hermann for pointing out that onei is a mom. I had assumed otherwise! lol.

That being said....

The desire to procreate is not limited strictly to the act of sex. The desire to have a child, to hold that warm little bundle of joy in your arms, is not just about screwing. It's an urge of its own, completely outside of the act which makes it possible, and if you think there are many people in this world who can simply shrug off that urge, that desire, then you're kidding yourself.

The desire to procreate and the rational decision to procreate are two different things. I would always hope that parents address the latter. Obviously, from your post, many don't.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
The desire to procreate and the rational decision to procreate are two different things. I would always hope that parents address the latter. Obviously, from your post, many don't.

you just cannot rely on people making rational decisions. Ocassionally you'll meet someone who can, but in general, most can't or won't or just plain don't. Personally i feel it's niaeve to assume anyone has the capability of thinking rationally at all. usually it's safer to assume everyone's an idiot and then work up when they surprise you. Sounds quite negative but it's the rational way to act, since assuming too much intelligence in people usually leads to the worse result.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I would always hope that women are conscious enough of their hormones to not get grumpy with people around them when they are PMS'ing, but many aren't. Many ignore their cycles, and just follow what their hormones tell them. I would always hope that men would be smart enough to ignore what their hormones tell them too, and not have affairs, shattering families left right and center, but my hopes don't amount to much. Humans always have, and always will follow their urges, their desires. Morality has nothing to do with it... nature however, has everything.

agentkgb

Nominee Member
Aug 22, 2006
US
agentkgb.wordpress.com
I don't think I'd use the term immoral in relation to procreation unless you have no intention of taking care of the child. I would say though that it is unreasonable/bad/can'tfindthewordi'mlookingforhere to procreate a great deal. I don't think it would make sense to say that any procreation is immoral though, since we obviously depend on it.