Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
There are other considerations beside the costs to purchase, and the car's abilities going on here as well:

UAW wakes up to job threat posed by electric cars, as German unions have already
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...y-electric-cars-as-german-unions-have-already

“Electric cars are disasters; they are evil," says Hyundai union head

Ha estimated that electric cars could destroy 70 percent of the jobs at Hyundai under a worst-case scenario, though that figure is far higher than estimates from union bosses in other countries.

In late 2016, Michael Brecht, chief of the Daimler works council, said the number of workers required to build internal-combustion engines was "roughly tenfold" the number required for electric motors of similar output.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...sasters-they-are-evil-says-hyundai-union-head

Interest rates go up...jobs go down...climate gets golder...food disappears...
But forget about gold and silver, copper is starting to look pretty good.

Also you nuke a battery with cobalt in it and you get something way worse than a nuclear blast.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Electric cars! You can,t get something for nothing, the oil will generate the electricity, stupid, solar panels was a good idea but along came a solar minimum, of course this will disrupt harvesting electrons.I,m putting my money in firewood and coal and dried liberals.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

California dried liberal farm...( you can tell Cali 'cause this one looks stoned)
;)
as you can see just a LITTLE bit of rain messes them right up.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
if true that electric cars require fewer workers to create them, then let the companies create lower cost autos that will generate more production and sales

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
One could hope, but the trend has always been to downsize labor as technology increases output.

I can tell you from scrapping lots of gas and electric motors, that there is not much to scrapping an electric motor compared to what is involved in stripping and scrapping a gas engine.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
@Captain

[youtube]H5Fag9yx6gQ[/youtube]

[youtube]nt1sYCTuEfk[/youtube]

these were the type of systems I was hoping to see in the Twinkie Cities but the Metro system decided to go with that shown in my link ~ as you can see these alternative systems can be articulated and bi-articulated. This makes them very efficient, especially at the rush hour. If they work on the narrow streets shown in the videos, they can certainly work in the TC area where the streets are usually far wider. They look great, too.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
sorry I missed your question earlier

just it says in the article - batteries - will supply the power

because of this a catenary (overhead wire system) is no longer needed though it is what I prefer with auxiliary power to be used if the bus is de-wired or re-routed

or see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bus

I appreciate your getting back on this.

The core of the question i asked really sought to understand where the energy would come from to charge the car (or battery) for use.

I understand that you are from Minnesota and to my knowledge, your state doesn't have large scale natural resources (renewable that is) like big hydro projects to generate the base load power needed.

Where I am from, we don't have real significant opportunity for hydro (small scale at best) and have to rely on non-renewables to generate the base load requirements.

That was the basis of my Q

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I appreciate your getting back on this.

The core of the question i asked really sought to understand where the energy would come from to charge the car (or battery) for use.

I understand that you are from Minnesota and to my knowledge, your state doesn't have large scale natural resources (renewable that is) like big hydro projects to generate the base load power needed.

Where I am from, we don't have real significant opportunity for hydro (small scale at best) and have to rely on non-renewables to generate the base load requirements.

That was the basis of my Q

Ah, ok - and a good question it is. The link says there will be "charging technology to be installed at Metro Transit’s Heywood Garage {Minneapolis} and the Brooklyn Center Transit Center". Thus, the two major bus terminus will have recharging facilities. The city of Brooklyn Center is next door to Minneapolis.

Sadly, they closed down the terminus we had in St Paul's Midway area which was very accessible and which could have provided recharging power at a great convenience to our transit system. Instead of that station we will soon have that new soccer stadium which will screw up traffic. I used to live only a few blocks away and that area around Snelling & University avenue can be a traffic nightmare at the rush hour. With the stadium it will get worse. But that's what happens when the city officials kiss up to the corporate interests rather than meet the needs of the populace.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
How many gas powered vehicles are they targeting in same period?

What's that got to do with anything? If you were alive in 1900 you'd be asking "How many horses were bred compared to the number of automobiles?" Technology changes and the internal combustion engine is on the way out.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What's that got to do with anything? If you were alive in 1900 you'd be asking "How many horses were bred compared to the number of automobiles?" Technology changes and the internal combustion engine is on the way out.

It has to do with a lot. You are bragging about some great achievement 5 years in the future.I am saying that the achievement is small and they will also be producing a lot more of those internal combustion engines in the same period.

The internal combustion engine is here to say until several issues can be addressed with the general car buyer:
  • cost -- should be competitive with similarly equipped gas powered cars (without the massive subsidies)
  • charging stations every place a gas station is now with capacity to charge in roughly the same time it takes to gas up a gas powered vehicles
  • ability to charge at home for a majority of people (such as those in apartments).
Until then, these cars are novelty play things for rich urban dwellers with more $ than brains.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
It has to do with a lot. You are bragging about some great achievement 5 years in the future.I am saying that the achievement is small and they will also be producing a lot more of those internal combustion engines in the same period.

The internal combustion engine is here to say until several issues can be addressed with the general car buyer:
  • cost -- should be competitive with similarly equipped gas powered cars (without the massive subsidies)
  • charging stations every place a gas station is now with capacity to charge in roughly the same time it takes to gas up a gas powered vehicles
  • ability to charge at home for a majority of people (such as those in apartments).
Until then, these cars are novelty play things for rich urban dwellers with more $ than brains.

YES! Electric cars TRULY ARE novelty items for rich urban dwellers! As far as I can see- the only reason that people like Hoid and Bar Sinister support electric cars is because they decided that they are ENTITLED to demand that LIE-berals buy them one!

Here is an article I spotted on the MSN.ca home page and it illustrates what is wrong with LIE-beral policy related to electric cars. With some comments of my own in brackets):

Motor Mouth: The inconvenient truth about EVs in cold weather

Tesla’s Model 3 passengers need a “blankie” to complete its record-breaking cross-country Cannonball Run

By David Booth | January 26, 2018

So, a Tesla drove across the United States. That such a feat is no longer big news is testament to how far EVs have come and an indication electric vehicles are no longer limited to urban use.

What is newsworthy, however, is that Alex Roy, The Drive’s editor-at-large (and expert Cannonballer), along with the Model 3’s owner, Daniel Zorrilla, took but 50 hours, 16 minutes and 32 seconds to drive from Los Angeles to New York City, the quickest any car has ever travelled from U.S. coast to U.S. coast using electricity as its sole source of power.

This is not an accomplishment to be diminished. Ten years ago, such an expedition would have been measured in weeks, not hours. Even five years ago when Elon Musk began rolling out Superchargers across the land, criss-crossing the continent would have been all but unthinkable.

RELATED:

Motor Mouth: Holiday travel proves the fallacies of highway EV charging

Those who seek to diminish Roy and Zorrilla’s accomplishments by noting that the current Cannonball Run record is something less than 30 hours miss the point. Google calculates the 4,288 kilometre drive takes just a tad over 40 hours, which means Roy and Zorrilla spent only about 10 hours charging the Model 3 — not so long ago the time it would have taken for a single overnight charge of its (optional) 75 kilowatt-hour battery. It’s an impressive feat and proof of the progress in both EV technology and Tesla’s infrastructure development.

But does it mean — as is the subtext of virtually every story written about Roy’s trek — that EVs are ripe to supplant gasoline-fueled cars in the immediate future?

Uhm, not quite. You see, buried deep in Roy’s 4,345 word treatise on his adventure is the following little tidbit: “It’s too bad we kept the heat off for most of the drive.” Yes, in order to ensure they made it between Supercharger stations, Roy and Zorrilla drove through the worst weather much of the United States has seen in decades without the comfort of cabin heat. Indeed, both wore multiple layers of clothing, Zorrilla, according to Roy’s account, donning three layers of pants to stave off the frigid temperatures, while Roy himself had to buy a wool blanket halfway through the trip. That’s right, no heat in a US$55,000+ car that purports to play in the luxury segment.

RELATED

How It Works: Electric vehicle charging

Now Cannonballers past have made manifold sacrifices — ingesting massive amounts of caffeine, peeing in bottles and, even more gross, unless, of course, you’re the President of the United States, eating a steady diet of McDonald’s — in their pursuit of speed, but those compromises have always been to overcome human limitations, not compensate for the failing of the automobile. That Roy spends less than 50 words discussing the lack of cabin heat— with nothing remotely resembling a technical analysis of the energy used/saved and range extended by their plight — while devoting no less than 1,670 words to the Autopilot user interface (Roy actually spends more time stressing about the Model’s 3’s steering stalk than he does on the fact that he froze his ‘nads off for 50 straight hours speaks to someone deliberately not wanting to talk about an elephant in a room.

Here’s the discussion I think he was trying to avoid.

Fleetcarma.com – a website devoted to the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles and optimizing EV fleet deployment since 2007 – recently released a sneak peak of its Truth About Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Cold Weather study based on its real world usage of a number of electric cars in cold climes.

The numbers are not pretty. According to Erik Mallia, the company’s strategic development manager, the EVs in Fleetcarma’s fleet — Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi i-MiEV and Ford Transit Connect EV — started displaying greatly reduced range when the outside temperature dropped below about 3 degrees Celsius. By the time the mercury hit -10C, all three vehicles’ had dropped below half of their advertised/EPA-designated maximum range. In their worst performance, for instance, Nissan’s Leaf ran out of electrons in just 51 kilometres and the Transit Connect in 40. And that’s at -10, not the 20 or 25 below that has been common across eastern Canada since Christmas, Fleetcarma’s information suggesting that EV range prohibitively “drops of a cliff” somewhere around the -5C mark.

(In other words- my early post about the probable LARGE number of electric vehicles STALLED on Toronto streets when bad weather jams traffic and drivers fail to compensate for failing battery range in the cold WAS OPTIMISTIC! Even the latest models of electric cars DO WORSE than I expected! A FIFTY PERCENT DROP IN RANGE just as soon as a relatively mild Toronto winter appears? These LIE-beral electric pull toys will NOT be showing up in Sudbury or even in Muskoka any time soon! Electric cars are just a vastly costly frill for LIE-berals to play with- at OUR expense!)

1101 s mitsuimiev Motor Mouth: The inconvenient truth about EVs in cold weather

Mitsubishi i-MiEV

More interesting is that, according to Matt Stevens, CEO of Fleetcarma’s parent company and a PHD in powertrain design, while both gasoline and electric powertrains face similar degradation in performance in cold weather, the reason for the EV’s substantially worse cold weather comportment – cue images of Roy shivering in the Model 3 – is down to heating the cabin. Stevens says this is one area where the internal combustion engine’s inherent inefficiency is beneficial. “The silver lining of the very inefficient gas engine,” he adds, “is that, since it gives off a whole lot of waste heat, you effectively get cabin heat for free.”

(Oh- so this is like the LIE-beral insistence that we surrender our cheap incandescent light bulbs that also throw off heat in cold weather thus warming our houses a little and replace them with those mouldy “green” bulbs- beloved of LIE-berals and that idiot Suzuki- that don’t last near as long as advertised and which contain mercury which means that every one that is disposed of in regular trash- meaning virtually ALL of them- are contaminating the environment with mercury! Even worse the damned costly things do not throw out as much light as incandescent bulbs- meaning you are hooking up EXTRA not so green bulbs as compensation for lower light levels!)

In fact, Fleetcarma’s data seems to suggest that a Mitsubishi i-MiEV heater on full blow — such as when crossing the U.S. in a cold snap — can use between 1.5 and 4.5 kilowatts, about two to six horsepower. Typically, small cars require less than 15 horsepower to cruise at 100 kilometres an hour on a flat road: If Fleetcarma’s numbers are correct, it suggests that an EV’s heater on full blast – as Roy may have done had he not been worried about range– uses anywhere from 20 to 40 per cent as much power as propelling the automobile.

While none of this probably affects urban use, it does put a dent in the argument that EV range will soon become so prodigious that charging stations won’t be required on our highways. Even if future Tesla, Porsche and BMW EVs boast ranges of 600 kilometres and more, a Canadian — or, this year, an American — January could easily halve that. That means the inter-city infrastructure charging problem Motor Mouth’s Inconvenient Truth series has been proposing still needs to be reconciled. By not addressing this issue (yet, again, finding more than 1,600 words to address a simple interface issue) Roy did a disservice to the very cause he seeks to champion, namely that electric cars are ready for prime time.

(And as always, LIE-berals have a SELF SERVING scheme for every occasion- they have already made noises about supplying free or very cheap recharging at govt buildings! How long before electric car makers start offering fleet purchase prices to civil service unions- with LIE-beral approval- and how long before getting your EV car- bought with MASSIVE govt grants- charged for FREE at your govt job as yet another perk of office for gravy train riding Hogs? Who would not want to travel in a HEAVILY govt subsidized machine and regularly REFUEL FREE like that?)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yet another problem the subsidized electric car crowd either glosses over or doesn't understand is the amount of amperage required for rapid charge stations. The vast majority of houses and all apartment buildings simply are not equipped with the required electrical supply to maintain rapid chargers. Quite probably in the majority of neighbourhoods the distribution system isn't adequate to have everyone on rapid charge at the same time.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yet another problem the subsidized electric car crowd either glosses over or doesn't understand is the amount of amperage required for rapid charge stations. The vast majority of houses and all apartment buildings simply are not equipped with the required electrical supply to maintain rapid chargers. Quite probably in the majority of neighbourhoods the distribution system isn't adequate to have everyone on rapid charge at the same time.

You just shush yourself now and stop with the reality-check on this topic.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
in fact the internal combustion engine would have been replaced long ago but it is a cash machine.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Bragging? That would infer that I am in charge of the electric car revolution. I'm just pointing out that a few years ago electric cars were a novelty. Now every major car manufacturer has at least one model in the process of being built and dozens of minor companies have come out of the woodwork with their own electric versions.

As to cost - that is already being achieved through the process of mass production. Electric car prices are dropping an will continue to drop. In addition electric cars are cheaper to maintain and to fuel, so even if an electric car seems more expensive it probably isn't. This will be bad news for a lot of dealerships that rely on customers bringing their cars back for tune ups and oil changes - electric cars don't need either of those, but that is an unfortunate side-effect of change. There are winners and losers in every major technological change.

The Bottom Line On Electric Cars: They're Cheaper To Own

https://www.forbes.com/sites/consta...tric-cars-theyre-cheaper-to-own/#2afe66aa10b6

As for charging stations I doubt it will take very long for gas station owners to install charging systems once they realize there is a market for them. And there are already home charging systems available for electric cars so I don't really see a problem with making more of them.

As for subsidies I expect you realize the auto industry has always been subsidized as has the oil industry. In way way it makes sense to subsidize electric cars in order to cut down on pollution since internal combustion engines are a real health problem whether the auto industry wants to admit it or not. Cleaner air simply means healthier citizens and lower health care costs, fewer days of work missed, and so on.

So, when it comes to money and brains I would say that the real money is on electric cars.

You just shush yourself now and stop with the reality-check on this topic.

Read my reply to IdRatherBeSkiing.

\\

Then way are home car chargers being sold? Changing the amperage level to handle electric cars isn't exactly rocket science. Here, you can get one from these guys.

https://www.plugndrive.ca/product/elmec-evduty-evc30-nema-6-50/

What I am seeing so far as the electric cars is a lot of old fogey type opposition. In other worlds some people are so conservative they oppose electric vehicles because they simply can't handle change. The same anti-electric car arguments being trotted out were around 20 years ago, but guess what there are more electric cars than ever and more still one the way. It is a major technological revolution being pushed by improved electric engines, improved batteries, and a desire for cleaner air, and the improvements are far from over. There are at least a score of batteries currently being researched and I suspect that the electric motor will continue to become lighter and more powerful.

Just to give you an idea or how many potentially new batteries are on the horizon check this out.

Future batteries, coming soon: Charge in seconds, last months and power over the air

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets...in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Of course, I realize some of the ultra-conservatives don't trust articles from tech websites, but they do trust Forbes so then there is this one:

Samsung Battery Tech Breakthrough Could Revolutionize Smartphones And Electric Vehicles

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...artphones-and-electric-vehicles/#6a79489e5a6f

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
The lithium battery is not the end of the line. It is just the latest stop.

Battery technology is going to change the world and one of the ways it will do that is by redefining what oil is worth.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The lithium battery is not the end of the line. It is just the latest stop.

Battery technology is going to change the world and one of the ways it will do that is by redefining what oil is worth.

I think we want to be careful what we wish for, it will likely be detrimental in the long run. In 55 years of operating gas powered vehicles I've yet to encounter a problem with them. I always say "if it ain't broke don't f**k around with it".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
in fact the internal combustion engine would have been replaced long ago but it is a cash machine.

Really? I know you are one of the stupidest people on Earth and on welfare so you could never by a shiny new Ford so I doubt you kn9w this but a Ford 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost engine from a pick up is more efficient than any electric vehicle and will walk all over any sports car (EV included) in the 1/4 mile all day long and you don't need to recharge for every race.

I can't wait for the 6 turbo version in the works. Dinky little 2.5L making 750HP+ bone stock and getting 70mpg.

I'm currently on the hunt for a Model A truck to stuff a 3.5 ego boost into. There are several thousand Model A roadster pick up truck for sale at any given time to choose from

Model As we're only built for 4 years. 1927 -1931 over 4.8 million built and there are still 1,000,000 on the road.

You have no idea how big classic cars are.

If you want to piss like a big dog,I'll bet you $100,000 there is a running model A within a mile of where you live. That's how sure I am.

I think we want to be careful what we wish for, it will likely be detrimental in the long run. In 55 years of operating gas powered vehicles I've yet to encounter a problem with them. I always say "if it ain't broke don't f**k around with it".

Fossil fuel batteries made from coal (graphene are the next big step.

Graphene is going to advance technology so rapidly, all of our current silicon digital tech will be antiquated within 3 years.

And too pokey to work in harmony with graphene tech.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Out of the mouths of children. You should read up on the history of electric cars. Had the same basic problem for over 100 years, probably closer to 130 years now and you think it is going to change sometime tomorrow morning.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There were electric Model Ts. Well over 100 years ago.

Ford's new exclusive electric line is being called the Model E

Really? I know you are one of the stupidest people on Earth and on welfare so you could never by a shiny new Ford so I doubt you kn9w this but a Ford 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost engine from a pick up is more efficient than any electric vehicle and will walk all over any sports car (EV included) in the 1/4 mile all day long and you don't need to recharge for every race.

I can't wait for the 6 turbo version in the works. Dinky little 2.5L making 750HP+ bone stock and getting 70mpg.

I'm currently on the hunt for a Model A truck to stuff a 3.5 ego boost into. There are several thousand Model A roadster pick up truck for sale at any given time to choose from

Model As we're only built for 4 years. 1927 -1931 over 4.8 million built and there are still 1,000,000 on the road.

You have no idea how big classic cars are.

If you want to piss like a big dog,I'll bet you $100,000 there is a running model A within a mile of where you live. That's how sure I am.

Fossil fuel batteries made from coal (graphene are the next big step.

Graphene is going to advance technology so rapidly, all of our current silicon digital tech will be antiquated within 3 years.

And too pokey to work in harmony with graphene tech.

Peckerhoid.