Invasion

triedit

inimitable
The point you guys seem to be missing here is that these are ILLEGALS. There are thousands who work hard, do the paperwork, take the oath, whatever, and go on to lead wonderful lives. These arent the people we're talking about here. We're talking about people who make thier living smuggling other people. We're talking about people who commit serious crimes but have no way to be tracked because the don't exist in "the system". We're talking about people who spend thier life savings to get smuggled in so they and thier family members can pick crops at $2 an hour. And spend all of thier "off time" hiding from the law.

We're not talking about immigrants per se. We're talking about people who think they are above the rules of law on all counts. And it's become a national problem, not just a border states problem. Even in my hometown in WV there is gun violence and rape by the mexican transient workers.

What it comes down to is enforcement. When someone is in the US (or Canada for that matter) illegally they should be deported. Period. The liberal "let them become legal" theme really grates on me. If they wanted to be legal, they would be. But they are lazy or poor and can't wait the time or afford the price. The US has enough poor and lazy folks.

It has little to do with them being Mexican and lots to do with them being illegal.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
The point you guys seem to be missing here is that these are ILLEGALS.

so blame the US government for not enforcing their immigration laws. Many other countries have trouble with illegal immigrants too, but the solution is not to start spouting racist crap and propaganda about them, blaming them for rapes and murders.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
canada has mexican migrant workers too. Most of Ontario would cease to function without cheap-arse mexican migrant workers to do all the really nasty jobs. Strange, though, I haven't heard much about gun-crime and rape going on in the farming towns of ontario.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If illegals are being trafficked, there has to be a great deal of profit to make it all worthwhile. That rules out cherry pickers and ditch diggers. Oil patch and diamonds are where the bucks are ... and guns aren't enough to get them in there.

Wolf

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

It's once again time for...

The Illegal immigrant distinction is based upon a "might is right" philosophy and lack of freedom of movement. Can a bird enter a country illegally?

Reactions: Outta here

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
canada has mexican migrant workers too. Most of Ontario would cease to function without cheap-arse mexican migrant workers to do all the really nasty jobs. Strange, though, I haven't heard much about gun-crime and rape going on in the farming towns of ontario.

They are a welcome addition to towns in Ontario. Any workers I have heard about are trying to immigrate legaly to Canada.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Yes there is crimes by white people!!!!! and it's not ok..but the last thing we need is a foregin nations people comming here illegaly and killing us..

Lol !!!1
Look I think yer just having some sort of guilt trip due to your ilegal invasion of Iraq and illegaly killing civilians....now it's some org. called blackfeet or something...some american military security force from N Carolina above the law in Iraq who guard your politicians and kill when they just want to....

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
But it never gets to that. Once there is a problem to address, we start to look at ways to make things better. We have immigration here just like every where else. Some problem people do get in and the larger a problem that represents the more attention it can get.

But it's not our way to single out a nationality to overly scrutinize and construct a baseless fear of. That's how it used to be done, but we learn as we go. A multicultural society without pregidous becomes a more productive population with a higher standard of living. So the more people you get to buy into that premise, the more successful it becomes.

There are plenty of places to live here, plenty of work and more than enough money to go around. Bring them in, hook them up with a house a job a couple of cars and some peer pressure to make sure they remain at they're jobs and spending money so their kids are the smartest, the best looking and living the good life openly so that all can see how successful they are for producing such enviable children. Sports the great outdoors and alcohol,(or weed if you prefer) to take their mind off the mundaneness of it all.

For those who would come here to do their worst, you can't get us all and eventually we'll toss you in a deep dank hole all by yourself to give the lot of us a rest from you.

Yes there is crimes by white people!!!!! and it's not ok..but the last thing we need is a foregin nations people comming here illegaly and killing us..we have enough crime with out theirs also...and we do protest our government to stop illegal immigration..but when your government wont stop it..what do you do..keep bitching about it..vote in another president..i know....but we'll see how you all feel when you invaded also then you will see.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/articles.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50744

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
LOL!
i love patronizing and condensending attitudes...i love people that are above the little people...and view them as some sort of working class suffering only to be kept at bay with sports, alcohol and drugs in order to keep them at it another day....legends in their own minds....
AAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
funny stuff....thats the point i was trying to make earlier....

I mean all of N America is immigration.....
I sometimes say to new comers that there was a time when the Irish were considered a sourge on society over here ... the Italians as well....they look at me dumb founded like i'm just saying some weird thing.....

It's ignorance ....totally...

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
In Vancouver you will catch some people saying some weird things about "the Asians."

Which of course is simply cherry picking. I think I recently read somewhere that Vancouver has a majority Asian population (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Pakistani, z.B.) , so if something bad happens, the statistics are good you will be able to confirmation bias your racism.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

So the original post should actually refer to the problems with illegal immigrants, not immigrants in general. I would guess that illegal immigrants are no more likely to rape than legal immigrants, or legal citizens.

I venture to state that part of the problem is that pretty much every politician employs illegal immigrants, whether as child care providers, labourers, gardeners, etc, and therefore has no desire to eliminate the problem.

The house building industry, for example, has been decimated by the huge growth in contractors employing undocumented workers. However, everybody who wants a 10,000 sq ft home built for next to nothing doesn't want to end this.

triedit

inimitable
The OP DOES say illegal immigrants, right in the first sentance. Also gives government the blame for the problem. He targets Mexicans because that is where the biggest influx of illegals is. I don't see this as racist. I see this as reality. Im certain that the OP would have named any number of other immigrant groups if they were a predominent problem in his area.

And don't get high and mighty, Canadians. There's a real problem here in TO with illegals working. And racial tension? Are you kidding me? We have gangs of every color, I suppose, but the only one's anyone ever talks about are the Sri lankans and the Pakistanis. Oh yeah, we're not so different up here.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Don't know if thie relates to the topic which seems to be the USA as usual - but it has to do with migration into Canada

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=c977352e-d402-4f16-9f47-9bd487596021&k=8472

Mexicans pour into Canada from U.S

Agencies brace for thousands more; 'Give us a chance,' one begs

Sarah Sacheli and Roberta Pennington, The Windsor Star

Published: Tuesday, September 18, 2007
For 15 years, Manuel Ortega was living his version of the American Dream in Florida.
He had steady employment, sometimes working as a detailer for local car dealers, other times as a forklift driver. He earned enough to buy a van and rent a house for his wife and three children. His kids earned good grades in school and played with the family pet, a Shih Tzu named Chaparro (Shorty). They were safe and kept out of trouble.
Ortega's dream, as he recounted it Tuesday standing outside a room at a Windsor motel, is now but a memory. He is one of an estimated 180 Mexicans from Florida who've rushed across the border and into Windsor to claim refugee status, fleeing a crackdown on illegal aliens in Florida.
View Larger Image
Manuel Ortega, right, and other Mexican nationals seeking refugee status in Canada gather outside their rooms at the Devonshire Motel for a discussion Tuesday. The group has been in Windsor for one to two weeks and hope for placement in homes in the very near future.

Scott Webster, The Windsor Star

Local agencies that work with refugees have been told to brace for 4,000 to 8,000 refugee claimants.
Every single day this month, Mexican nationals who have been living illegally in Florida -- some for a dozen years or more -- are turning up at the Windsor-Detroit border seeking refugee status. The first group arrived at the YMCA on Aug. 28.
"They've been coming steadily ever since," said Jacquie Rumiel, director of programs for new Canadians at the YMCA.
The Ortegas left Naples, Fla. and say all they ask for in Canada is "a chance," said the father.
"Give us a chance to show what kind of people we are," the 39-year-old said. "We don't be afraid to work. We don't be afraid to start again. We need the chance, please, to do that."
Ortega said his fear of being deported to Mexico intensified within the past three months as immigration officials became more visible on the streets and the incidents of deportation of his acquaintances increased.
When his American neighbour threatened to report him to authorities, he told his family to pack-up. They simply couldn't risk returning to Mexico, where he says he fears the powerful drug cartels, corrupt government and poor living conditions.
"We don't have a future in Mexico," Ortega's 36-year-old wife said, noting her brother and his family also fled to Windsor fearing deportation. "We can't go back."
After driving his 1996 Grand Caravan for 24 hours without stopping -- except for gas and food -- the Ortegas arrived at the Windsor tunnel Sept. 11. When they told the border guard they were seeking refugee status, the Ortegas were given a list of social services organizations to contact for support.
The Y is one of the first stops for asylum seekers. The settlement program there directs new immigrants to legal help, housing and other programs.
It's hard to get a firm figure on the numbers who have arrived recently. While 120 have crossed the Y's threshold, the city's social services department, which is in daily contact with the Canada Border Services Agency, thinks the number is closer to 180. But the Salvation Army thinks the real number could be into the hundreds.
The Salvation Army has put up 50 families -- some with five, seven and nine children each -- at four city hotels. Their bills, including meals, are being sent directly to the city's social services department. Another 30 single men are sleeping and getting hot meals at the Salvation Army Church Street shelter.
"We are being inundated with them," said Maj. Wilfred Harbin, Salvation Army administrator. Like others in the city, he has heard that up to 7,000 Mexicans seeking refugee status could be headed this way.
"What are we going to do with them? We're running out of beds."
In fact, said Harbin, all the beds are filled. A handful of men are sleeping on mats on the gymnasium floor of the building. "Maybe the military can help us," said Harbin, unable to think of where else he could get a shipment of cots in a hurry.
Salvation Army hostel supervisor Marlene Dufault said she believes the U.S. crackdown on illegal immigrants has led to the influx of Mexicans at our border. She said a church group in Naples has been charging the asylum seekers $400 a head, promising them there will be jobs awaiting them here.
The Canadian Council for Refugees sent out an alert Tuesday in response to what it calls an "urgent" situation.
According to the national non-profit group that acts as an umbrella organization for agencies that help refugee claimants, there are "fraudulent advisers in the United States endangering asylum seekers" by telling them there is a "special Canadian program" for Mexicans.
The only accurate information the Mexicans are getting from these advisers is that they won't be turned away at the border.
Under the U.S.-Canada Safe Third Country Agreement, asylum seekers from the United States would normally be turned back. But those coming through the United States from Mexico are an exception because the United States would require those people to have a visa, but Canada does not.
Danny Yen, Canada Border Services Agency spokesman, explained that means the United States would not accept those people if turned back.
Legal Aid has begun footing the bill for the refugee claimants to get legal advice.
Immigration lawyer John Rokakis said seven Mexicans came through his door Tuesday with Legal Aid certificates paying for three hours of a lawyer's time. Monday he saw three others and had a steady trickle last week as well.
Few will have successful refugee claims, he predicted. "Of the ones I've seen there are maybe one or two that may have something," he said. One is a man who sought political asylum in the United States and was denied.
In the short term, the refugee claimants are the guests of city taxpayers. Some have U.S. bank accounts they can't access and others are destitute.
Teresa Piruzza, executive director of Ontario Works said, as of Monday, ten families and 18 individuals had applied for social assistance. "We're just starting to process them," Piruzza said of the applications.
Welfare currently pays up to $548 per month for individuals and $1,193 for families with two children under the age of 13.
As he recounted his story, Ortega repeatedly stressed his thanks to social services for helping his family.
"Social services, they help us too much," he said. "I want to say thanks and to Canadians 'thanks.'"

I doubt they are all Mexicans - there are hundreds of migrants from South America and Central America and of course the Cuban refugees (who are legal upon reaching the dry land)...
the article seems a bit vague but oh well...

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
wondered when someone would start shooting the old "bleeding heart" phrase around.

I assume what you mean is that we're weak and feeble, and wish to be very very nice to the illegal immigrants.

How I see it is this:

1) problem: lots of immigrants, some of whom are causing trouble. Quite a lot are illegal immigrants

solution: either: blame the immigrants and start a hate campaign, stating that all immigrants are evil, and murder people for no other reason than they are immigrants and therefore evil

OR

sort out the immigrants reasoning and either prevent illegal immigration or allow immigration through sensible, legal channels.

which is the tougher option? which one takes more balls to enforce?

bleeding hearts my arse.