International Criminal Court

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Whether or not it is proper to say, the United States of America is not going to submit itself to the scrutiny, nevermind judgement, of any foreign body — whatever does not serve the interests of the U.S. would not be considered an acceptable course of action, and there would likely be some sort of embargo or retaliatory effort in response to any such requests for their submission.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Because this court is an international court that tries people based on crimes. And since American hasn't signed on because (possibly crimes they have committed) they don't have to be effected yet.

However other coalition members Britain for example can be held responsible for crimes if they so committed.

And quite simply, because if you commit a war crime you deserve to suffer no matter what kind of country you are or how powerful you are.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree, Jersay.

We should endeavour to create a supreme court for world affairs; however, I think that such an authority should be limited to those brought before them in relation to crimes — the right to strike down legislation (for example, the Supreme Court of Canada has such an authority within Canada) should be prohibited.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: International Crimina

The Bush-Cheney administration has carried out the destruction of Iraq violating the UN Charter, the Hague and Geneva Conventions, the Nuremberg Charter, the Law of Armed Conflict, and patently commisioning through the chain of command violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. The entire administration are guilty of crimes of war, there will be no peace or justice in the world untill these crimes are addressed,and if the Americans in this forum want thier freedoms and a place in the world they had better wake up to the truth.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
beaver get an assault team together and prepare to arrest Bush and his cronies next time he gets in your neck of the woods.

I will watch on television, for these injustices to be attributed.

However, in all seriousness America needs to deal for its crimes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Re: RE: International Criminal Court

cortez said:
juan
have you not heard
not all people are equal
americans and those that resemble them along with their foreign groupies like jay are REAL human beings
the rest of uss are somehow not as worthy

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU

Recently several Americans

have expressed the idea that the U.S.'s interests would not be served by joining the International Criminal Court including a couple who are here now. What this does is eliminate any high and mighty posturing that the U.S. is somehow possessed with superior moral fibre and the rest of us mere mortals should take notice. The International Criminal Court is for the betterment of man, not just the U.S.. The Americans are currently infected with bottomline-itis. How can they be otherwise with a 9 trillion dollar debt?

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.

In a regular court, if someone is charged with something and yet refuses to pay his debt to society, the court can take a measure of actions that will ensure this person's accountability. The World Court can't actually do that as it stands. It can rule in favor or against countries. However, if a country decides not to follow the World Court's decree, then nothing can be done. The World Court, for example, has no right to repossess the country's army. The real concern is how to get certain influential countries to actually listen to the International Court's rulings.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It's not only the "influential" countries orpheus, how do you bring someone to trial when accused of a crime? For example, there is ample evidence Castro has executed people for being political opponents, how can you bring him to the international court?

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.

It's not only the "influential" countries orpheus, how do you bring someone to trial when accused of a crime? For example, there is ample evidence Castro has executed people for being political opponents, how can you bring him to the international court?

Well, that goes without saying. However, I would hope that influential countries demonstrate their leadership by being one of the first to cooperate. The International Court's efficiency must improve.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I balance my checkbook the same way anyone does ITN. I know a bit about your debt. Canada has a debt that is about half our GDP. Yours is about equal to your GDP. If you're not worried, I won't be either.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
correlation is

the more your country is actually performing these types of crimes the less likely theyll sign on

i bash
india
china
russia
for not signing this agreement

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It just occurred to me, that the US Supreme Court is the highest court anyone can appeal. If the US ratified participation with the International Criminal Court, would we have to amend the US Constitution? For that matter, isn't the Canadian Supreme Court identified as the highest court in Canada in your Charter of Rights & Freedoms? And where does that put Canada? Anybody have any answers?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The Supreme Court of Canada (French: Cour suprême du Canada) is the highest court of Canada and is the final court of appeal for all litigants in the Canadian justice system. The court hears appeals on matters of national importance from all provinces and territories, and its decisions are binding upon all lower courts of Canada. It is composed of nine Justices: eight Puisne Justices and the Chief Justice of Canada.

The Supreme Court of the United States is the highest judicial body in the U.S.. As the highest court, it provides the leadership of the judicial branch of the U.S. federal government.The Supreme Court is the only court established by the United States Constitution (in Article III); all other federal courts are created by Congress:

Anybody find this interesting?