Indian god statue at Calgary zoo offends Christian group

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If those christians were secure in their faith they would have no objection. Either that or they don't have anything better to do with their lives than look for symbols to complain about. They would be better off going after other religious symbols or beliefs contrary to our way of life.

Also the ancient swastika symbolizes LIGHT, LOVE AND LIFE.
swastika as love symbol - Bing
Sparrow - In my opinion you lack credibility - You made statements on the Islam - Enemy within thread that so far you have filed to answer - the question was not difficult - name the Institution you were referring to - or was it typical anti Islam BS - so answer or admit you were in error.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
:roll: I saw a cross on top of a building the other day. It's right out there in plain sight and visible from blocks and blocks away. That's offensive. It should be taken down.:roll:
If they don't like the statue, someone should tell the morons they aren't being forced to look at it. So much for tolerance in a MULTICULTURAL country.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
:roll: I saw a cross on top of a building the other day. It's right out there in plain sight and visible from blocks and blocks away. That's offensive. It should be taken down.:roll:
If they don't like the statue, someone should tell the morons they aren't being forced to look at it. So much for tolerance in a MULTICULTURAL country.

Funny, I could swear up and down I've seen you post in the past about government or publicly funded offices, etc., having a responsibility to remain secular and not express religion in any manner.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Funny, I could swear up and down I've seen you post in the past about government or publicly funded offices, etc., having a responsibility to remain secular and not express religion in any manner.
Funny, I could have swore I read someone mention that all the religious symbols had been taken off the statue. ;) That makes it a plain ol statue representing something Indian.
Besides, I might have been cranky about something some religious fanatic said. And I am getting more mellow in my older years anyway. :D On top of that, if a gov't claims to be secular, it should be secular.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Funny, I could have swore I read someone mention that all the religious symbols had been taken of the statue. ;)

yep... they sure made Ganesh non-religious. lol.

Like I said, I don't care and I think their complaint is trolling, but don't compare apples to oranges. There's either one set of rules for public funding, or there isn't

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

well you complared their complaints about religious symbols in a publicly funded venue, to seeing a cross on a church... apples to oranges (I'm assuming that's where I lost you?). One is publicly funded, like a government office, one isn't. I can see why they are picking a fight, because there is either one set of rules regarding religion and public funds, or there are simply certain religions that are singled out.

Still a bit of trolling on their part, but, at the same time, not one to be dismissed with flawed arguments imo.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
well you complared their complaints about religious symbols in a publicly funded venue, to seeing a cross on a church... apples to oranges (I'm assuming that's where I lost you?). One is publicly funded, like a government office, one isn't. I can see why they are picking a fight, because there is either one set of rules regarding religion and public funds, or there are simply certain religions that are singled out.

Still a bit of trolling on their part, but, at the same time, not one to be dismissed with flawed arguments imo.
oohhh Did I mention the cross was on a church? Town near here called Nelson that has a lot of heritage buildings that get both private and gov't funding. One of the churches is such a building.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. Wifey even mentioned I seem to be a little more laid back these days. I guess it's a change. lol

*karrie bites her tongue about why Les would be in a relaxed mood since getting home*

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yeah, that's an interesting little addition, hmmm, should get rid of that,
doesn't matter where statue goes, or not, what is the statement with the
swastika, how does that tie in to the statue, and who is responsible for it.

Just a word of explanation, talloola. What I posted here is not a picture of the statue, but a picture of Lord Ganesh I found on internet. I simply wanted to show what Lord Ganesh looked like, how he is relevant to an elephant exhibit in a zoo.

And there is nothing wrong with Swastika; it is a holy Hindu symbol. It predates the Nazis by thousands of years.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
that symbol was used in other cultures long before the Nazis used it. I don't think a religion should have to give up its iconography because of misappropriation by someone else.

a little history on it... Swastika - Hindu Symbols - ReligionFacts

Quite so, karrie. Swastika has been around for thousands of years. It is in widespread, common use in India. You will see swastika just about everywhere, in temples, in advertisements, on packages. In villages you may see Swastika drawn in front of many houses. Hitler appropriated it for his evil purposes, but that does not make the Hindu symbol evil.

In Ontario we have a hamlet called Swastika (Google for Swastika, Ontario and you will find out). There are many Indian place names here in Ontario. I think what happened was that during the days of British Empire, army officers were placed in India and later in Canada. They gave Indian place names to Canadian villages, and Swastika is one of them.

Anyway, after the rise of Hitler, there was pressure on residents of Swastika to change the name of their village. They firmly refused. Their argument was that their village was around long before Hitler, and no upstart murderous dictator is going to force them to change their name. And quite right too.

It is not widely known in India that Swastika is associated with Hitler. One of my friends tells me that he learned that swastika was a Nazi symbol after he went to Engineering College, and he was very surprised to learn that. India was not really exposed to World War 2 in any way (Indian soldiers did fight along with the British). Neither Germany nor Japan really made it to India. So the connection between Swastika and Nazis is largely unknown in India.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SJP

Did you read the full article?

The artist who created the statue was also asked to strip certain religious symbols associated with the god, he added.
Newton called the Concerned Christians' approach ``the views of a very small minority.
``We don't cater to any particular religion.''

So with the icons removed it does not depict the God - Stirring up shiite again are we - Wish you despised repeat violent criminals as much as you despise Christians.

Quite so, Goober. With religious icons removed, it is just a statue. That is why I said that I don’t have any problem with it. If they had built a shrine for Lord Ganesh, I would most certainly have a problem with it.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Looks like a disco version of Ganesh. Other than the garb, it doesn't resemble a religious icon at all. Some people like to get their panties in a knot just because they like their genitals squeezed.

Indeed Cliffy. The only way the statue resembles Lord Ganesh is that it has an elephant head and human body. That is where the similarity ends. There are no religious connotations here; it is not really any different from say, the statue of a Griffin (eagle head, lion body), a Unicorn or a Hippogriff.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Not only are the religious icons removed, so were two of his/her arms. If it was a religious icon, I would think Hindus would be up in arms about the amputation.;-)

Good point, Cliffy. In the picture that I have posted, Lord Ganesh has four arms. I assume he is normally depicted with four arms. What we have here is really no different from the statue of any of the several hundred mythical creatures.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
lol. I'm sure if I petitioned to have an 'artistic rendering of a manger scene' set up at city hall, with armless pottery pillars to represent the participants, it would be seen as 'religious' regardless of the minor changes.

Karrie, if somebody puts up a statue of Jesus minus the religious symbols (cross, traditional beard, nail marks on his palms etc.), I don’t think anybody would mind. Nobody would recognize him for Jesus anyway, and I doubt Christians would want to put up a statue like that.