Im planing to join the canadian forces

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I found a whole new respect for the armed services when ice-storm 98 hit. The civilians hadn't a clue how to deal with the emergency or make quick decisions. Without military intervention, things could have gotten ugly in some of the worst hit areas. I've seen people fighting for the last can on the shelf at a super market. When someone tried to cut in front of long line to get gas at the last gas station in town with gas, an angry mob tried to pull him out of the car. They almost rolled his car over and then he sped away almost driving over one of the mob. I've since come to the conclusion that we the sheeple are only about 48 hours of the right conditions away from killing each other.

Things settled down and became organized with the military took control under a declared state of emergency. I volunteered as an electrician at the local firehall which became a military HQ. The major who commanded the forces there knew how to evaluate situations and make decisions. Generators were allocated to hospitals and essential services. Gas stations and stores were re-opened at strategic locations first. People were evacuated from unsafe condition... and so on. Military intervention turned chaos into order.

Soldiering is thankless job, the pay sucks and it can be dangerous... Canada's military has a reputation for being professional and disciplined. They've proven themselves in Bosnia, Lebanon, Cyprus, Haiti, Sudan... many other places and now Afghanistan. Most civilians learn to trust and respect our soldiers. Unlike our neighbors to the south, I haven't heard of Canadian soldiers being involved in the mass slaughter of civilians. The only blemish I can think of in recent history is the incident in Somalia, which I blame on the politicians who sent commandos on a peacekeeping mission.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Shadowed one until they could worry him from the surface. I've seen the North Pole a hundred times from an Argus at two thousand feet. I loved that noisy old bird.

The Argus was quite an airplane. When I joined the RCAF, the Argus was brand new.and at the time there was nothing to match it. What was special was not only it's great radar and sensing equipment, but that it could stay in the air for an awfully long time. I think it's endurance was something like 28 hours

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
You must be kidding here, why anyone would join a military which has lost its identity.
FROM PEACE KEEPERS, TO SECOND ON THE SH!T LIST
What are you looking for/ GOOD PAY?, SERVING YOUR COUNTRY ON A STUPID CAUSE?, OR ARE YOU LOOKING TO GET INJURED BY LOOSING A LEG OR AN ARM AND COME HOME FORGOTTEN BY A GOVERNMENT WHO WAS MORE INTERESTED IN KISSING AMERICAN ARSS THAN LOOKING AFTER YOUR WELL BEING AFTER YOUR SERVICE IS DONE???????????????????????????????
Man do your self a favour and keep your arms and legs, you need them more than you need the stupid Conservatives…………………………..If you die in combat weasal Harper will try to negociate with your family on whom will pay the most on your burial, as we have seen in past such cases.............the waesels were giving families of dead solders 1/4 of the cost.......
groan, the broken record again... Consider what the liberals have done to the military in the past. They were the reason the military has lost its identity...

duncandonut

Sep 8, 2008
Man do your self a favour and keep your arms and legs, you need them more than you need the stupid Conservatives…………………………..If you die in combat weasal Harper will try to negociate with your family on whom will pay the most on your burial, as we have seen in past such cases.............the waesels were giving families of dead solders 1/4 of the cost.......[/quote]

The idea that just because I am joining the Canadian forces, makes me a conservative; is very ignorant and closed minded. I am probably the farthest thing from one.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The Argus was quite an airplane. When I joined the RCAF, the Argus was brand new.and at the time there was nothing to match it. What was special was not only it's great radar and sensing equipment, but that it could stay in the air for an awfully long time. I think it's endurance was something like 28 hours

The record was 31 hours ... but that was light with extra fuel. Argh was pretty much at the end of her time when I got there - but she was still the best. Aurora still can't match her loitering time. Our patrols were routinely 21 hours. I recall one of 26.5 (when we shadowed that damned sub). Needless to say, with a flight crew of five (and a relief of 4) and at least six ASW techs, the two bunks were almost always occupied. In calm air, the drone of those radial engines would lull you off to la-la land in seconds.

Twig

Nominee Member
Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Duncan just remember one thing it is easier to get yourself into something than out of it. Once you sign up they are not going to let you go home if you change your mind.

duncandonut

Sep 8, 2008
If you were my son, Duncan, I would not let you go!![/quote]

Even is your were my father, the choice would not be in your hands, it is mine to make.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I see that "Scott Free" is a fan of Paiget and his idea of intellectual development.

I am actually but in this case I am just basing my opinion on scientific fact. Until you reach the age of 25 your not able to asses the dangers of joining the army. I'm not meaning to insult you. Everybody goes through this - it's just a stage of life. I thought I would warn you but, technically, it won't help and I know that. You'll probably just write my warning off as an old fart that is probably scared of his own shadow - hell, you know nothing will happen to you, you can feel it in your gut. Nothing could be further from the truth but again, you have no way of knowing that. :lol:

So there you are. Maybe you'll be happy with your choice after 25 and maybe you won't. I suppose luck will be the deciding factor, that is, if you keep all your limbs. Not that you can understand any of this yet ;-)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am actually but in this case I am just basing my opinion on scientific fact. Until you reach the age of 25 your not able to asses the dangers of joining the army. I'm not meaning to insult you. Everybody goes through this - it's just a stage of life. I thought I would warn you but, technically, it won't help and I know that. You'll probably just write my warning off as an old fart that is probably scared of his own shadow - hell, you know nothing will happen to you, you can feel it in your gut. Nothing could be further from the truth but again, you have no way of knowing that. :lol:

So there you are. Maybe you'll be happy with your choice after 25 and maybe you won't. I suppose luck will be the deciding factor, that is, if you keep all your limbs. Not that you can understand any of this yet ;-)

Why in the world do you think they get them at 18???

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You must be kidding here, why anyone would join a military which has lost its identity.
FROM PEACE KEEPERS, TO SECOND ON THE SH!T LIST
What are you looking for/ GOOD PAY?, SERVING YOUR COUNTRY ON A STUPID CAUSE?, OR ARE YOU LOOKING TO GET INJURED BY LOOSING A LEG OR AN ARM AND COME HOME FORGOTTEN BY A GOVERNMENT WHO WAS MORE INTERESTED IN KISSING AMERICAN ARSS THAN LOOKING AFTER YOUR WELL BEING AFTER YOUR SERVICE IS DONE???????????????????????????????
Man do your self a favour and keep your arms and legs, you need them more than you need the stupid Conservatives…………………………..If you die in combat weasal Harper will try to negociate with your family on whom will pay the most on your burial, as we have seen in past such cases.............the waesels were giving families of dead solders 1/4 of the cost.......
Socrates, the Canadians have been very good at making war for a long long time.....much longer than the 20 or so years we were only "peacekeepers" The idea of us as a nation of peacekics is a fallicy.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Socrates, the Canadians have been very good at making war for a long long time.....much longer than the 20 or so years we were only "peacekeepers" The idea of us as a nation of peacekics is a fallicy.

Colpi, Cyprus, comes to mind where the Canadians did serve the roll of peace kipping in its true form……………Canadians were really liked by the Cyprians………….because Canadians were know to be a COUNTRY OF PEACE LOVING PEOPLE, and even today 68% of Canadians think and believe that we have squandered our presuss men and women as well our resources in Afghanistan……..

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I found a whole new respect for the armed services when ice-storm 98 hit. The civilians hadn't a clue how to deal with the emergency or make quick decisions. Without military intervention, things could have gotten ugly in some of the worst hit areas. I've seen people fighting for the last can on the shelf at a super market. When someone tried to cut in front of long line to get gas at the last gas station in town with gas, an angry mob tried to pull him out of the car. They almost rolled his car over and then he sped away almost driving over one of the mob. I've since come to the conclusion that we the sheeple are only about 48 hours of the right conditions away from killing each other.

Things settled down and became organized with the military took control under a declared state of emergency. I volunteered as an electrician at the local firehall which became a military HQ. The major who commanded the forces there knew how to evaluate situations and make decisions. Generators were allocated to hospitals and essential services. Gas stations and stores were re-opened at strategic locations first. People were evacuated from unsafe condition... and so on. Military intervention turned chaos into order.

Soldiering is thankless job, the pay sucks and it can be dangerous... Canada's military has a reputation for being professional and disciplined. They've proven themselves in Bosnia, Lebanon, Cyprus, Haiti, Sudan... many other places and now Afghanistan. Most civilians learn to trust and respect our soldiers. Unlike our neighbors to the south, I haven't heard of Canadian soldiers being involved in the mass slaughter of civilians. The only blemish I can think of in recent history is the incident in Somalia, which I blame on the politicians who sent commandos on a peacekeeping mission.

I was thinking of that storm this afternoon and about the civil disturbance you have described.
The facts about fragile infrastructure aren't well appreciated by enough people. I hope your evaluation of the Canadian armed forces is correct certainly it is what I was taught to expect and respect but in the light of the last ten years and the deals that have been cut behind bolted doors I have reservations about whose military it really is and whether the nation can trust our forces have no higher hidden priorities, given the present security environment how could we find out anyway. The intigration is problematic it may be desireable to have a somewhat more Canadian than internationalist armed forces, disengagement from the developing nastyness may be very costly especially the more so since we are in all likelyhood already a client state of the empire. Economically, culturally and militarily this is already demonstratably true. What parts of the relationship are we left to guess at, our efforts in Afghanistan and Hati are certainly what we are to be employed at to fullfill our obligations. To whom are we really obliged to in Afghanistan, the dead Afghans put the lie to the sanctimonious pronouncements of Ottawa. Our closest allie is already a repressive police state well into rounding up and putting away the dissenters and the oddballs and forigners of no means.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
If you were my son, Duncan, I would not let you go!!

Even is your were my father, the choice would not be in your hands, it is mine to make.[/quote]Smart Alec, eh? Why come here in the first place asking for our opinion? I get the feeling you are not for real.... so, buzz off!