Ignatieff snubs Royalty

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
taxslave, I assume “poodles” is a disrespectful monicker for The Royal Family of Canada — how very shameful. I can understand and respect the republican perspective on the merits of a non-monarchy system of Government, but unfortunately, most republicans not only dislike the system of Government, but have a deep-seated and personal hatred for The Royal Family, too. Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales K.G., G.C.B., K.T., P.C., O.M., A.K., Q.S.O., G.C.L., S.O.M., A.D.C.(P.), and The Duchess of Cornwall are Canadian subjects. The misinformation campaign that republicans seem intent on waging on the issue of the monarchy is absolutely astounding. The Prince of Wales is heir to The Crown of Canada — it’s entirely appropriate for His Royal Highness to be touring Canada, given that The Prince is going to be our next head of State.

Perhaps you simply don’t understand Canada’s constitutional arrangements — we are not a colony, and we are not ruled by The Queen of England. We are a proper and self-determined Canadian kingdom, governing ourselves under a system of representative parliamentary democracy with executive power reposed in Her Majesty The Queen as a guarantee of responsible government for the Canadian people. There is no system better equipped than a constitutional monarchy to adapt to the unique and changing needs of each day, and to ensure an ultimate non-partisan authority for the resolution of constitutional crises.

Maybe you’re embarassed to be Canadian, taxslave, but I’m certainly not.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
For something that was said 17 year ago I think this may well not be on the Agenda.

More pressing issues for such people will probably be on the table an "if" this is even mentioned it maybe as a rib or joke in passing.

My feeling would be more that the Prince would avoid such topics on such a visit however.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
The Prince and Duchess attract dozens of curiosity seekers in Toronto!

And so they should Spade..

Even I, being French, am still interested in the Royals as such. As to whether they should still be the head of Canada is another story and thread to be discussed but the French also had Royalty. Yes I know what we did with ours but that still doesn't mean they are not interesting.. :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
taxslave, I assume “poodles” is a disrespectful monicker for The Royal Family of Canada — how very shameful. I can understand and respect the republican perspective on the merits of a non-monarchy system of Government, but unfortunately, most republicans not only dislike the system of Government, but have a deep-seated and personal hatred for The Royal Family, too. Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales K.G., G.C.B., K.T., P.C., O.M., A.K., Q.S.O., G.C.L., S.O.M., A.D.C.(P.), and The Duchess of Cornwall are Canadian subjects. The misinformation campaign that republicans seem intent on waging on the issue of the monarchy is absolutely astounding. The Prince of Wales is heir to The Crown of Canada — it’s entirely appropriate for His Royal Highness to be touring Canada, given that The Prince is going to be our next head of State.

Perhaps you simply don’t understand Canada’s constitutional arrangements — we are not a colony, and we are not ruled by The Queen of England. We are a proper and self-determined Canadian kingdom, governing ourselves under a system of representative parliamentary democracy with executive power reposed in Her Majesty The Queen as a guarantee of responsible government for the Canadian people. There is no system better equipped than a constitutional monarchy to adapt to the unique and changing needs of each day, and to ensure an ultimate non-partisan authority for the resolution of constitutional crises.

Maybe you’re embarassed to be Canadian, taxslave, but I’m certainly not.
:) Calling the royals "poodles" is no different than calling the rest of the Canadian public "sheep". Whether it is disrespectful or not depends upon viewpoint.
So tell me, just what have they done to earn respect? Sit around giving dinner and garden parties (where they get other people to actually do the work) or wander about the planet visiting other countries? Produce offspring? Get divorced and remarry? Ride around in carriages? Live in big houses? Do they save lives, bring people back to health, teach kids, or do their neighbor's plumbing?
5P, they are no different than any other civil servant except they aren't the ones that serve. They deserve respect as forms of life but as far as I can see, that is all.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Pampered prince puts sun king in shade | UK news | The Guardian

His lifestyle would seem extravagant to Louis XIV: a team of four valets so that one is always available to lay out and pick up his clothes; a servant to squeeze his toothpaste on to his brush, and another who once held the specimen bottle while he gave a urine sample. Step into the world of the Prince of Wales, a lifestyle so pampered that even the Queen has complained that it is grotesque.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The Prince and Duchess attract dozens of curiosity seekers in Toronto!

All I know is they had the damn traffic tied up with dozens of police cars and motorcycles yesterday when they were heading downtown from the airport.

I would like to know who is paying for all that...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
All I know is they had the damn traffic tied up with dozens of police cars and motorcycles yesterday when they were heading downtown from the airport.

I would like to know who is paying for all that...

I don't know if you've heard, old chap, but it's considered to be rather poor form for Royalty to carry money. (But that is no excuse not to pack a VISA or Mastercard.)