If Quebec split, do you think there would be...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The French encounter mostly Montrealers who have a thick patois. Norther Quebecois speak an older version of French than even those from Paris, less anglicized. In Paris and Montreal they say "le hot dog", in northern Quebec they still say "le chien chaud".
Which is a little weird, considering the term "hot dog" is an Americanism.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I agree. Personally, I favor killing everybody that can't prove they're at least 75% English by ancestry.

Then you'll have the country you want.

DOesn't matter where they come from as long as they adopt our customs and language if they want to live here. My wife, who comes from Germany has less of an accent after 15 years than most english that have been here for 40 years. Doesn't believe in kissing an uneleted ruler's azz either.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Kweebeck separates. The injuns say "we're taking our land and separating from Kweebeck". The sliver of land along the St Lawrence is not acceptable to Kweebeckers and, being too proud to backtrack, war would ensue. The only real question is to what extent the Yanks will get involved and how long it would last.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Kweebeck separates. The injuns say "we're taking our land and separating from Kweebeck". The sliver of land along the St Lawrence is not acceptable to Kweebeckers and, being too proud to backtrack, war would ensue. The only real question is to what extent the Yanks will get involved and how long it would last.

Uncle Sam isn't going to take kindly to a thumb on access to Great lakes ports - considering the lions share of cost was picked up there. I'd be more interested to see what happens to all that James Bay power on Cree territory

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Uncle Sam isn't going to take kindly to a thumb on access to Great lakes ports - considering the lions share of cost was picked up there. I'd be more interested to see what happens to all that James Bay power on Cree territory
Maybe Ontario will actually SELL their needlessly excessive hydro generation to Quebec instead of paying them to take it off their hands.

billshaver

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2015
I thought this was a done issue...no one in pq with abrain considers this anymore..who'd bring up such atopic...somone from ontario with axe to grind......or harpos alberts....defently not a quebecer...

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
A friend of ours from Limoges France was told by a Quebecois one time that she should learn to speak French properly. Our friend is a linguistics professor over there. She laughed at the Quebecois asshat. We've got a Belgian friend that relayed a similar story.
Quebecois is often referred to as Royal French. What is spoken in France is Bourgeois French because of the revolution in 1789.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Whenever we have discussed the Quebec situation at home, the question on how the St.Lawrence would affect things if Quebec was to separate.Also, would the Americams come in because Quebec has shown that they cannot go alone in so many ways.We wondered what would happen to the Maritimes since they would be cut off from the rest of Canada.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The best to check that out is to let the rest of Canada do the vote to see if they remain a part of Canada. Canadian Constitution changes are supposed to be by a referendum voted on by Canadian and there are more Canadians than there are people in Quebec.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Sorry, but I don't know where you live. I live in Saskatchewan. Anytime the subject of Quebec comes up on the radio or TV, it is pretty well unanimous that we would like them to leave rather than suck any more money out of us. If they want to go, then go. I was around for the last referendum and the feeling has made a complete turn-around.