I want to live in British Columbia (But read)

RenardeNoire

Aug 30, 2009
Okay, lately, I've been thinking about moving from the U.S to British Columbia in Canada, but the problem is that I'm not quite sure what British Columbia's really like.

I know, it rains a lot near the Vancouver area (Where I wanted to live), and I know it's a huge city, but I'm not quite sure what the province is really like. I know that it's different from the U.S (sort of...), but can someone maybe give me some hints on what I should find out, please?? :-:)sad10:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If I was you, the first thing I would do is to find out whether or not whatever
your do (Doctor, Lawyer, Electrician, Plumber, etc...) for a living, if you have
a Ticket or Accreditation to perform in that occupation, is honored and
valid in B.C.

thatone

Aug 14, 2009
51% visible minorities (many asians)
nice mountains and lakes
BC is the home province for pot

a vacation through low land BC should give you a feel of the province..going through maybe kelowna..I think it`s neat place to go though, good luck

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Nothing but laid back pot smoking hippys in B.C.
And Asian gangs,the hells angels,cops with tasers.

lol!
If you've only lived in Alberta and the NWT what would you know about living in BC?8O

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Are you a barber? I am not sure if BC needs barbers. Do you want to be a lumberjack? Because I am convinced they need lumberjacks. The following video was prepared by the British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Range as a recruiting film to attract the right candidates. Would you qualify?
YouTube - Lumber jack song

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
If you've only lived in Alberta and the NWT what would you know about living in BC?8O

I worked there for 22 years,I live on the border so it's close.

I'm an Albertan,used to working away from home in my no industry town,in hotels,tents and campgrounds or camps wherever the work is.
The company I first worked for in the arctic was from Kamloops,the exploration company is from Vancouver.
I have lots of B.C. roots,the flathead valley was my backyard for dirt biking,quadding and snowmobiling the last 35 years and we owned the inn on the border on the b.C. Alberta border,long distance from the kitchen in Alberta to the dining room in B.C.
That was to curcumvent booze laws between the 2 provinces years ago and keep the beer flowing at shortys as the bar was called back then.
Cut off came on the B.C. side at 11:00 and the patrons would move to the Alberta side,so they could drink for another hour,you also had to be 18 in Alta and 19 in B.C. so it made for some interesting nights.
CBC did a show called turners kingdom about that inn and the property it sits on which is the continental divide,B.C. claimed up to the westward flowing waters and Alta claimed up to the eastern flowing waters,so the guys at the bar moved the creek repeatedly to put shortys summit inn into whatever province had the laxest booze laws at the time.

:smile:

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
I know, it rains a lot near the Vancouver area
In winter, not summer. It sounds like you've never even been there, so I would suggest you take a trip (or several at different times of year) to the area where you want to live and check it out.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Biggest pink salmon run in Campbell River history going on right now. Also catching Tyees off of the pier. Two 30+ pounders this weekend just while my wife and daughter stopped for ice cream. The 'salmon capital of world' is back!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Biggest pink salmon run in Campbell River history going on right now. Also catching Tyees off of the pier. Two 30+ pounders this weekend just while my wife and daughter stopped for ice cream. The 'salmon capital of world' is back!
That's good news Keskin. Glad to hear it. :smile:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
BC has everything from deserts to rain forests, mountains to prairie. warm climate to freezing cold. Never a dull moment where weather is concerned and people are just as crazy as anywhere else. Lots to see and do whether you are a country boy or city slicker. Lakes, rivers and ocean to fish, forests and mountains to hunt (night clubs too.)