I need suggestions for charity work

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
At this precise point in time, I'd say charity starts at home. If something comes easily with what your hubby and you are going through (like taking books to the hospital), then fine. But focus on yourselves right now.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I have happy news

My request for a grant for Forgotten Graveyards was approved. I didn't ask for much, but I got the money 3 days ago. I promptly went to the store and bought the silk flowers. Then, yesterday I put them out. Since this little graveyard has been abandoned for 18
years, many drivers turned their heads in surprise to see it with flowers.

One was a 5 month old baby, and another was a World War I vet. I'm happy I was able to do one graveyard. The next project is stocking the cancer waiting rooms with paperback books. I am going on Tues. to ask for the books.

Uncle

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I've given lots of books to the local library, but they are not accepting any more at this time. I have a lot more to give...

When I worked at the old World Trade Center, there was a collection box that would accept magazines for sailors. Perhaps you may find a veteran's hospital or sailor's relief agency that will accept your literature.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
One thing that I greatly enjoy doing for my community is to attend high school sports events. Parents, coaches, teachers, and the athletes greatly appreciate it when you root for them.

For years I attended many pro sports events in New York, Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City, and the Twin Cities. I also attended many college events. And while all of these have been greatly enjoyable, nothing approaches the fun of high school games.

A few months ago I received a letter of appreciation from an area high school girls softball team. I showed it to my boss and to several fellow employees. All congratulated me for getting this letter which I have now put up on my wall. I will definitely treasure it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well, it's not much, but I cut my hair this week and donated it to a cancer charity to make whigs. Had to be at least 8" long. I had more than enough to spare. Got plenty of compliments since I cut my hair too. A win-win. Although there was this cougar, that, well, eww.....

Kudos! I've been doing it every two years since 1995 - when I was hospitalized and saw a bald kid. She gave me the encouragement to go through what I had to. I have this real fine hair that's great for little kids, and since I can't do much else with my life since the accident, a hair farm is my way of giving back....:cool:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Well, it's not much, but I cut my hair this week and donated it to a cancer charity to make whigs. Had to be at least 8" long. I had more than enough to spare. Got plenty of compliments since I cut my hair too. A win-win. Although there was this cougar, that, well, eww.....

i could probably make two wigs with mine then

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
More good news

Today I got permission from the cancer dr. to put paperback books (along with two bookcases I bought) in his 2 waiting rooms. I am going Sat. to get a bunch of books from my source.

Cancer waiting rooms -- my next project. Remember, I don't feel moved by just anything and everything. Cutting my hair would be impossible since it's so short anyway. But it is interesting to read what moves other people. Thanks for sharing. If I come up with something else - I'll let you know.

Uncle

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I got a call just now, and a book dealer is donating 2,000 books to my cancer waiting rooms project. Wow. I'm thrilled. Even my Canadian best friend was impressed. I can't wait until Sunday when I'll get them.

Uncle:lol: