I just had to tell you guys what my kid did yesterday

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
My son is 17 we'll call him A, and already hates the government, he's really smart. Anyways, last night the phone rang, it was the liberals. Apparantly the person on the phone had a very strong accent and a poor grasp of language.

The convo went like this.

Bring Bring
A: Hello?
L: This is the Liberals calling, can we count on you for your support on Monday?
A: Who?
L: The Liberals.
A: Oh, well, if you want me to vote Liberals, maybe you SHOULD LEARN THE F*CKING LANGUAGE.

Now I normally don't endorse my son's trucker language, and I certainly don't like him picking on people who have accents. But man, I almost cried I laughed so hard. Lovin that kid o mine :oops:

edited cause my apostrophes don't always land in the right place.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

Nice, a pat on the back for a racist slur. Atta boy, way to be a chip off the old block.

It is so refreshing to see nice honest racism.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Lordy Green Greta...please don't ever leave us without your posts....I hope you commit to at least one of these a day!!

Hahaha...your son sounds like his mom!!! A tad of "aggression" - especially honest aggression doesn't hurt in this day and age when most people and rude and insulting anyway.

Good one! A laugh is even better than coffee at the start of a day.

Freethinker

Stop trying to turn this story into racism. The kid was being honest - or is honesty unworthy these days too? Many white people are subject to "slurs" every day as to their own ethnicity.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Oh Freethinker, glad to see you have a sense of humour. Maybe you should change your name. As far as racism goes, I'm Irish and have been picked on for 500 years. I'm Irish and sober (trying), like I've never been the butt of a joke. Joke after joke after joke. Hiccup.

Come to my country, make an effort with the language.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Re: RE: I just had to tell you guys what my kid did yesterda

GreenGreta said:
Oh Freethinker, glad to see you have a sense of humour. Maybe you should change your name. As far as racism goes, I'm Irish and have been picked on for 500 years. I'm Irish and sober (trying), like I've never been the butt of a joke. Joke after joke after joke. Hiccup.

Come to my country, make an effort with the language.

Getting all misty eyed, and glowing with approval as your son hurls obscenities at someone because the have an accent is not good natured joking.

It sounds more like a good sociological study of how racism crosses the generation gap.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Getting all misty eyed, and glowing with approval as your son hurls obscenities at someone because the have an accent is not good natured joking.

It sounds more like a good sociological study of how racism crosses the generation gap.

Exactly.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Gee Zuzz, people really need to lighten the f*ck up.

No, what if you were the person who was on the other end of the phone trying to do a job, and have a kid start swearing at you because of your accent.

I don't think the person on the other end of the line was laughing.

That's not right at all.

Even as a joke.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
How do you interpret learn f*cking English as a racial slur. Which race exactly pops in your mind that was on the receiving end of the phone line?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
How do you interpret learn f*cking English as a racial slur. Which race exactly pops in your mind that was on the receiving end of the phone line?

Either a French person, a East Indian, or a Carribean/African descent person.

The person must have been speaking in English. So the person's English was poor, who the f*ck cares. It is a racial slur.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
Think of the comedy we can enjoy when people share their jokes about speech impediments, disabilities or skin colour. How about: a guy came to my door last night to ask me to vote Conservative. He had dark skin so I said "Send somebody I can see at night and I'll think about it!!!"

Ha.Ha. What a yukfest that would be. :roll: :roll:

Edited to add: By the way, this is a great illustration of why I'm against hate speech laws and forums that ban people for racist, sexist and homophobic posts. You don't have to learn the new code languages for racism like rants against lenient immigration laws, etc. The racists will come right out and tell you what they think.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:

Either a French person, a East Indian, or a Carribean/African descent person.

The person must have been speaking in English. So the person's English was poor, who the f*ck cares. It is a racial slur.

You figured all that out from a forum post Jersay? You should consider buying yourself a crystal ball to narrow down your options even further. It might be considered rude, I see no way how it becomes a racial slur.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Jersay said:
That's not funny at all man.

It wasn't meant to be. He was pointing out the reprehensible moral equivalence to those too shallow to grasp the too subtle for them language case.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
That's not funny at all man.

If that was directed at me, I agree 100%. That's why I made it up.

If the rolly eyes didn't adequately convey my sarcasm, then I apologize.

That any parent could be proud of the "joke" that kicked off this thread is a total mystery to me.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
You figured all that out from a forum post Jersay? You should consider buying yourself a crystal ball to narrow down your options even further. It might be considered rude, I see no way how it becomes a racial slur.

Would the kid of said the same exact thing if the person spoke perfect-English,

maybe but probably not.

Therefore you put the distinction that the caller's English is not good Enough.

Implying, what the heck are you doing working for the government, can't they get some English speakers working the phones.

Come on it is totally racist.

And laughing and encouraging this behavior is totally uncalled for.

Sorry, pastafarian I didn't know you were trying to be sarcastic.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
I think not said:

Here I think we have wandered into a fundemental issue differnce between the center and the far right. It seems folks on the right think this is just fine and dandy.

While I think most of us center-left think it is morally reprehensible. Double so that a parent is glowing with pride that the next generation is following in their footsteps.

I work everyday with people from India and China, all with varying degrees of accent. There are sometimes difficulties in communications, never do I even think that they are somehow in the wrong for having an accent. I usally just think their English is a heck of a lot better than my Cantonese or Hindi.

Just because we don't know who was on the other end of the phone is irrellevant. The child lashing out certainly knew. This is an overt racist slur. It is the fact it was praised by a parent that frankly sickens me.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
Would the kid of said the same exact thing if the person spoke perfect-English,

maybe but probably not.

Therefore you put the distinction that the caller's English is not good Enough.

Implying, what the heck are you doing working for the government, can't they get some English speakers working the phones.

Come on it is totally racist.

And laughing and encouraging this behavior is totally uncalled for.

Sorry, pastafarian I didn't know you were trying to be sarcastic.

From Wikipedia: Racism refers to beliefs, practices, and institutions that discriminate against people based on their perceived or ascribed "race".

It may have been someone from Quebec with bad English skills. Everyone likes to use the racism card, makes their distorted sense of political correctness appear more noble.