Hungry?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Hey thats funny bogie :lol: I have had peanut butter and bacon on toast...a friend made me try it...It was really good..I liked it..

Lady C the only real cheesecake is a baked one :lol: I love strawberries and spiniach together its a salad...its so good! I cannot believe how good spiniach and strawberries are...Spinach..I could eat 10 bags in one sitting....I love the stuff cooked or uncooked...I kinda like parsnips now...somebody made some and they mashed them and put brown sugar and butter on them and into the oven it went...it was really good...they taste kind of creamy...I hate cooked carrots! just raw ones are good for me...

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
My favourite breakfast of all time (and one I have 'WAY too often):

At the White Spot: two poached eggs, poached soft, on buttered multi-grain toast with a bowl of fresh fruit on the side instead of hashbrowns. Simple, not too filling, precisely enough food to start the day, and ever so tasty. White Spot makes perfect poached eggs. Pity the places that don't have a White Spot is all I can say.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Peanut butter... well, there are Peanut Butter Cups, which I dislike at the moment because we bought a case lot of the things from Costco. Funny, if you eat 48 chocolate bars, no matter how tasty, you sure don't want another.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Dried mangoes? I've never had them, but they sound quite yummy.

Pet peeve: Every kind of vegetable and fruit seems to be available at all times of year these days, imported from here there and everywhere... except for the God of All Food: peas in a pod. So unfair, really.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
The dried mangoes are from the Philippines, and they are truly Heaven in a bag.

I hear ya on the peas in a pod. But have you noticed that those mandarin oranges just aren't the same now that they're available for months rather than weeks? They're still good, and I still look forward to them, but
not in the same way I did when I was a kid.

I think the ultimate food, though, is whatever someone else cooks for me!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
By god you're so right about that, the best food being whatever someone else cooks!

You are right about the change in taste in fruits and veggies. So much of it is bland now, in part because great attention is made to grown good looking stuff instead of tasty. Strawberries are a pale imitation of their former selves, they look great but taste bland as hell, and this is true with so many other fruits and veggies as well. I can't recall the last time a carrot really tasted like a carrot.

That's where the peas shine, they still taste as wonderful as ever. I live for those two, three weeks a year when I can eat nothing but.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
A hint I learned from my Dad - if you're cooking older, tasteless carrots, add a little sugar to the water. It sweetens them up, making them taste almost like they were fresh picked. Not quite, but almost.

I refuse to buy the pretty California strawberries. I wait a few weeks to get our local ones - there's just no comparison. Well, yes, there is. One has style, the other has substance.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
JDream said:
uh.. blah :p lol. I just had my dinner ;P spaghetti ;)

Ack, you say 'blah' to the Mighty Pea in a Pod??

Spaghetti is a favourite of mine... the thin stuff, though: spaghettini. I like it with sliced black olives, a dab of butter and olive oil, a bit of red onion, and seasoned with basil, garlic, oregano, paprika, marjoram, rosemary and sage. Yum!

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
Re: RE: Hungry?

LadyC said:
I think the ultimate food, though, is whatever someone else cooks for me!
I totally agree with that!

I could live on freshly baked crusty bread, good cheese (brie, romano or real Parmiggiano) and good red wine (Chianti or a Cabernet Sauvignon).

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

EternalSunshine said:
I could live on freshly baked crusty bread, good cheese (brie, romano or real Parmiggiano) and good red wine (Chianti or a Cabernet Sauvignon).

Yikes, you've just described our supper for every night we ever camp!

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com

LadyC said:
Another good cheese is Mizithra. I always get extra on the side at the Old Spaghetti Factory.

It's Greek.
Or maybe italian.
it should be noted that Mizithra is an acquired taste; if you're going to run out and try it, don't expect to fall madly in love with it first time around. :D

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
I did.
:wink:

If you like parmesan or romano you'll probably like mizithra too. It's kinda similar... in a way... sorta...

Cheese and pickle sandwiches are yummy too.

And Basa (fish)...

Hey, Andem - how come this forum doesn't have a section for recipes? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, being fairly new here and all... I guess I could always start a topic myself...