Human Wrongs, Not Rights Abused Here By the Veil

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Its only a primary means of recognition if you see the face. For instance, I would not expect to be forced to shave my facial hair so you can see my face uncovered. Anytime you've seen my face it has facial hair on it.

Anytime you've seen her face, she's had the veil.

I've never seen your face ... but I expect I'd be able to see a hooked nose or a scar over your left eye or .... if you weren't wearing a disguise.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The only reason police ask Canadians if they would like to press charges is to determine if the person will be a hostile witness or not. If the primary victim will be a hostile witness, which is often the case in domestic assaults, then it is pointless for the police to pursue charges.

..... So, at the moment that the police establish that you are a cooperative witness, they choose not to ask the victim that will assist in ID-ing the perpetrator or simply disregard any info that the victim may have given by the victim?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
When it comes to minorities, my attitude is that their beliefs, their culture should be accommodated wherever possible. Here I don’t see what is going to be achieved by asking the woman to uncover her face in the courtroom. If she wants to continue wearing niqab in court, I don’t see what the big deal is about.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
First of all, the woman in question in not an immigrant, but rather "Canadian-born", as the article notes. Secondly, dumpthemonarchy, women are not whipped under Shari'ah law simply for being raped.

My understanding is that in Sharia law, if a woman accuses a man of rape and cannot prove her claim, she can then be charged with adultery and stoned to death if convicted.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No, the crown accuses, she is a witness.

This confuses a lot of Canadians raised on too much American TV.

Scott Free, my understanding is that US law works the same way as Canadian law. In the case of assault, murder or rape, it is the state which brings the prosecution (same as Crown does in Canada), not the victim. So I don’t see how anybody can be confused by watching American TV.

I think it is just the general ignorance of the people, that many of them seem to be unaware of the fact, I don’t think US TV is to blame (though it can legitimately be blamed for many things).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The fact that anyone would expect a woman to strip herself of what she feels to be her modest clothing, in order to appear before men accused of raping her, is far more troubling, degrading, and misogynistic, than the phenomena of the burqas and niqabs.

They can see her just fine without having to violate her personal security even further.

Reactions: Vereya

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Would it be equally fair fro the accused to wear a deep-set hoodie, dark glasses and ball-cap that covered their identifying features, assuming that this was their accepted dress?

I don't agree with granting criminals, even accused criminals, the luxury of religious consideration, or the luxury of freedom or security of person if it impedes an investigation or trial. Take away their kirpans and prayer beads for a trial... take blood for DNA testing regardless of their views, no problem.

The defining difference is that they are the accused. She is a victim, not the accused. She is not on trial. She has not given up through action, her right to personal security. Only the accused, and the eventual prisoners, have any rights removed when they enter into the legal process. Not the victims.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How about if the accused insisted that it was their right regardless of what the leagl system or judge said?

That is what this issue is all about.

They can insist all they want. When you enter the legal system as an accused person, you are removed of your rights to certain freedoms. That's the way the law works.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Only in very few. In addition, the vast majority are able to post a security bond and gain their freedom until the trial.

Sorry Karrie, but you are mistaken.

No Morgan, I am not mistaken. The accused are the ones on trial, not the victims. They are the ones who the court has a right to curtail freedoms on, NOT the victims, NOT the witnesses.